Accupuncture adverse effect?

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Chickenlegs

Accupuncture adverse effect?

Post by Chickenlegs »

Hi everyone!
This is my first post, so it's a bit long. To summarize:
I have a 100lb +Bernese Mtn Dog who had spinal surgery to correct a protruding disc. The surgery ended up to be three in a 10 day period with complications. The last one was July 10. She is still not able to walk, but is shakily standing on own and has bladder and bowel control(great!). I have been taking her to hydrotherapy once a week since August 8. Walking her twice a day, once with a sling, once with a cart (I am fortunate enough to be renting). She had one accident with the cart almost a month ago and was recovering. She was strong,wanted to play , and was eliminating in our backyard again.Last week she had an accupuncture session after her hydrotherapy. She had accupuncture with another vet prior to the surgery for pain control with positive results.This time around, Bessie's behavior resorted backward(eating habits and back to eliminating everywhere but our backyard!) Then her legs went limp and swayed while I walked her. Her stance was not as solid and strength weakened. It has been 10 days and no improvement.
The vet who does the hydrotherapy said it could be a piece of disc that dislodged or possibly a clot or something moving that is interfering with the nerves.
Could it be that one of needles was inserted in a spot that provoked this response? My personal and prior accupuncture experience with Bessie was that very few needles were needed. This new vet put many and all over her. I am discouraged. I live alone and have a 9 year old Collie as well.
I am grateful to have found this forum.
Any insight or advise will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Mari, Bessie's mom