harness for a 10 yr old Sammy with severe hip dysplasia

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Esther

harness for a 10 yr old Sammy with severe hip dysplasia

Post by Esther »

I have a 10 yr. old Samoyed that we rescued in Feb. His problem is severe hip dysplasia. We have a rescue group and knew that it would be hard to find him a home, not only because of his age, but because of his hips. We had a consult and surgery is not an option. We had a walking wheel chair constructed but it doesn't fit and he doesn't like it. We have a "pet lift" for him that we purchased from PetsMart and it works well for helping him up the stairs. He trys to play with our other furry kids and our foster dogs. I saw the non-skid boots which might help and I was looking at some of the harnesses. I don't know which would help him the most- the walkabelly or the back harness. Could anyone help me. P.S. We adopted him to go with our other disabled guys- an epileptic shepherd and a deaf walkerhound-shepherd- he is a sweet boy and we couldn't stand for him not to have a forever home.
Thanks in advance for any help
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: harness for a 10 yr old Sammy with severe hip dysplasia

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Lucky lucky boy! Depends on what he will handle. You can 'develop' a prototype and let him wear it to see his reaction? My St. Jude's hips (crushed in a tangle with a car) are causing him some pain, so I am going to start researching supplements, as well as glucosamin and anti-inflamatories... His front leg was shattered after being shot, so he only really has one good leg :( But he smiles and wags his broken tail and is generally just pleased as punch with life and all it's mysteries (like when is mom going to come over to this couch and give me a bikkie?)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
SandyNY

Re: harness for a 10 yr old Sammy with severe hip dysplasia

Post by SandyNY »

I used the bottoms up leash for my downer samoyed. However, I do not know that it is the correct choice for a dog with hip dysplacia. I am thinking it may put pressure where you don't want it... My samoyed would almost run when lifted with a towel under his belly - but that was harder on the person(s)! He had several boots. The best ones where homemade of leather. Wishinhg you all the best!!