I need help choosing a proper cart.

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
ciseral91

I need help choosing a proper cart.

Post by ciseral91 »

My dog's name is lucky, he has nerve damage so he doesn't

really know where to put his back legs and ends up tripping

everywhere, it hasn't seemed to be getting any better.

Can someone please help me I don't know which cart would be

best for him.

From your experiences which do you like most.

Lucky is 65 pounds, pretty big, and would prefer something to go up stairs with and lay down in, but not bulky.

Oh, and since he trips he also drags his feet creating sores,

bruises and cuts, are there any carts that might help lift his

legs to prevent them from dragging.

Thank You
Attachments
This is lucky.
This is lucky.
ems736336

Re: I need help choosing a proper cart.

Post by ems736336 »

Hi and welcome to the discussion area. Lucky looks like a great dog. There are many carts out there and you can start looking at them in the Product Pages of this site. There are definately carts that will hold his legs up off the ground so he does not drag them and get those abrasions. Good luck and we hope you find a cart that will suit your needs.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

My dog's name is lucky, he has nerve damage so he doesn't really know where to put his back legs and ends up tripping everywhere, it hasn't seemed to be getting any better.
Was your dog injured in a car accident or what happened? Can you give more details? How long ago? :)

Can someone please help me I don't know which cart would be best for him. From your experiences which do you like most.
I suggest you look at Eddie's Wheels and Doggon' Wheels. They are both very good. There are cheaper brands on the market that also work, if you like.

http://www.eddieswheels.com
http://www.doggon.com
Lucky is 65 pounds, pretty big, and would prefer something to go up stairs with and lay down in, but not bulky.
Yes, he's a pretty big dog. A cart would probably make him happy. I know of one dog who can go upstairs in her cart, and your dog might be able to go up one or two steps if you help him, but I would not really expect him to be able to go up stairs by himself. I wouldn't count on that.

Most dogs cannot lie down in carts unless they are really long in the body and low to the ground, like a dachshund or a bassett hound maybe. Since your dog looks like he is regular height, not short, I do not think he will be able to lie down very well. Most people with regular sized dogs like yours let them exercise in the cart for an hour or two, and then when the dog is ready to rest they take him out so he can lie down. You can't leave him in the cart all day, they would get too tired standing up.

Eddie's and Doggon' will both be as lightweight as possible, however they have to be a certain width for stability, so the wheels are going to stick out a little no matter what you buy. Small dogs can use a cart in the house but with all the furniture and doorways and stuff, and big dog can move around in his cart better outside.
Oh, and since he trips he also drags his feet creating sores, bruises and cuts, are there any carts that might help lift his legs to prevent them from dragging.
No problem. Eddie's Wheels and Doggon' Wheels carts both have a way to keep the toes from dragging. You can set up their carts for the dog to walk on all 4 feet, or you can set them up for the dog to walk on his front feet with the back feet up.

Have you thought about getting your dog some boots to protect the toes?

Please tell us more about your dog. I like his picture. :)
BethT

Post by BethT »

My dog's name is Waffles. He ruptured a disk 2 years ago and has never regained the use of his back legs. Waffles uses an Eddie's Wheels cart. I would recommend it to anyone. Waffles is about 50 lbs and a very strong dog so I got a reinforced cart. If I hold on to the back of his cart I can help him up and down the outside steps (only 4 or 5 steps) but he does not go up or down any big flight of stairs in it. Waffles cart has stirrups in the back that his feet go in so they do not drag on the ground. He can not really lay down in the cart although he does go to the ground in front on his elbows but his butt is still up in the air. This does seem to be a comfortable position for him and i would call it his resting position in the cart. Eddie's cart is also pretty streamlined compared to some of the others. Waffles does use it inside the house although I must say that my walls and base boards are pretty banged up from him backing into them. It took me a year to think of it but I now wrap foam and duck tape around any of the metal parts that hit walls, etc. This has really helped cut down on the damage. Nothing a little spackle and paint won't fix! Your dog can still have a great quality of life in a cart. Waffles is extremely happy. Good luck. Beth