Help with incontinence accompanied with rear paralysis

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Diane

Help with incontinence accompanied with rear paralysis

Post by Diane »

I'm looking advice:
(For background, see prior posting by Diane)

Mickey is not doing well. We did use the wheel-chair for several days, but then he got frustrated with us putti in to it. I am thinking that it may not be DM, but maybe an intrusive tumor (what the vet suggested it might be), and that when we lift him up, it causes him pain.

He has now completely lost the use of his back legs, unless he is on the lawn, and even then he is often unable to get his legs underneath himself to go to the bathroom. He is losing control of his bladder and bowels in the house, and I know that it is upsetting to him.

Do you have any advice to help him? I am working and cannot tend to his needs as much as I could during the summer. It is very hard on me to think about having him put to sleep, but I think it might be getting to that point.

Thanks for any advice.

Diane
connie

Re: Help with incontinence accompanied with rear paralysis

Post by connie »

hi diane,
i am no expert, but cricket had pain when i lifted him up and it was a disk , even after surgery i had to be careful. he lost bladder and bowels also. what i did and do is make sure i empty his bladder completely, and if his bowels don't move before i leave for work, i use the poop on demand way i was showed in here by others. please see vet and find out what is going on before making a decsion. expressing and bowels can improve with time. and did you crate your baby for weeks after injury?
was wondering if it was in cart too soon. i been away from site a bit and can't remember some posts.
i am sure there will be a post soon from one of our smarter ones. i just share what i been through.
the best to you and prayers to your baby.
hugs
connie and cricket
Diane

response to: have you crated MIckey?

Post by Diane »

Hi Connie,
I wrote previously that MIckey has gradually lost the use of his back legs over about 9 months. X-rays revealed some calciuim build up around his mid spine, but not enough to cause his symptoms. Vet thought it was a tumor. We tried acupuncture and then later chiropracitc adjustments, both therapies got no results.

There was no injury that we are aware of, and we have never crated him. We did not try the doggie- wheels until about a month ago, when his walking was severely affected. We can't afford to have an MRI to verify if there is actually a tumor. He is mostly boxer, and I have come to understand that many boxers have troube with their hind quarters as well as getting tumore in later life (Mickey is almost 9.)

The hard thing is that Mickey can only get around where there is carpet, so every time he goes to the bathroom in the house (which is happening 1-3 times daily for the past few days) I have a big dog and multiple rugs to wash (plus the wall to wall carpet, under the area rugs.) I have also found small urine spots in my bedroom on the carpet where Mickey sleeps at night, so I think that he is leaking a little at night, even after he has been let out, just before bed time.

I would like information on expressing his bladder. Is this something someone can explain to me here, or do I need to go to my vet?

Thanks for your input!
Diane
ems736336

Re: response to: have you crated MIckey?

Post by ems736336 »

Diane, Try this address here in the forum.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/express.htm

or Google 'express your pet' or go to Dodgerslist.com and read about it also.

Lots of information available. Many of these same places talk about 'poop on demand' also.

Hope you get some help from those who know a lot more than me about all of this. Good luck and here are healing dachsie hugs and kisses for your Mickey.