My dog hates his wheelchair

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
ssg

My dog hates his wheelchair

Post by ssg »

I was so excited about the prospects of getting Klaus up and running in his new cart, but he is not a very happy camper in it. He looks uncomfortable and very nervous. He whines and gives me the most pathetic look imaginable.

We purchased the Doggone Wheels cart, and it's a bear getting him in and out of it, taking two people to get him all strapped in.

Did it take your pups a long time to become acclimated to it? I've only had him in it twice so far. Am I perhaps doing something wrong? Treats don't even coax him along.

Thanks.
Sandy
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: My dog hates his wheelchair

Post by Bobbie »

Some dogs take right off, others take awhile to get used to it. What most people find helpful is to take him to somewhere where he wants to move (beach, park, etc) so that he forgets the cart and just goes.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I know you were so looking forward to FUN... but sometimes things can be scarey. Make each adventure FUN, silly, sing song, whatever his favorite game is, make it a 'cart' game. Just for a moment at a time, until he finds out that the cart will not hurt him. A moment here, a moment there, and silliness the while.
You will be pleasantly surprised. It is a foreign thing, and very scarey. Don't give up hope!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

(1) Put your dog into his wheelchair, put the food dish across the room.... I also had a trail of Cheerios across the room, so he followed the trail and took a few steps.

(2) Put a favorite toy across the room...start with a few feet away...and then inch the toy away so the pup walks to the object.

Mine didn't like it at first either. He was downright nasty getting into the chair.

Ahhh, he isn't always this difficult....he just has a lot of personality. I like him the way he is...paralyzed, and a bit nasty.

Dianne
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Hummmm maybe the cart doesn't fit him right.
Oscar's cart is an Eddies...it is VERY easy to use and fits him well. He started running in it as soon as I put him in it.
I wonder if the fact that it is stressful for him to be put in it coupled with perhaps an ill fit that is causing him to be unhappy?
Give him some time...
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
ssg

Post by ssg »

He does look uncomfortable in it, although I don't know if it's that he's uncomfortable per se, or just plain scared. He's always been such a timid mush mouse for a german shepherd.

Dianne, my, your baby sure does have some shiny pearly whites goin' on there!

Sandy
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Have you sent a picture to Doggon Wheels asking if it is fitted right? That is very important as a dog will not be comfortable in an ill-fitting cart.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
karkorny

Post by karkorny »

I used a quad cart for Bully when he was down on all fours, definitely more for rehab than for his convenience and mobility. We had to get him standing if there was any hope he'd ever walk again. Anyway, I found it was me who needed to get used to it more so than him. I absolutely dreaded every session with that stupid cart. But once I figured out how to get this 100-pound paralyzed dog in it more easily, and once I wasn't so nervous about it myself, he relaxed and started enjoying it more. With Bully, it did take two of us - but he couldn't stand or do anything on his own, just total dead weight. We put the slings on him in a lying down position, then used them to get him upright and backed him into his cart. We had it down real well eventually and were able to have many good exercise sessions for him. Fortunately, he started walking and ended up not needing it for long and I was able to return it for a partial refund. Good luck. Karen
ssg

Post by ssg »

No, not yet. I'll see about taking some later on today when my kids are home to help me strap him into his cart. I need to get ahold of them anyway, because one of the hubs keeps on loosening up no matter what I do to tap it securely back into place.

Is there some sort of a scooter mat out there? If not, it might be a great invention for someone to come up with. It would be a solid padded low platform with small wheels, like the ones you see on Heelys that the dog could sit on while he scoots along using his front feet. Klaus scoots all over the place with great effort, trying to keep up with me from one room to the next. Fortunately we don't have carpet, except in the bedrooms.

Sandy
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

ssg wrote:
Is there some sort of a scooter mat out there? If not, it might be a great invention for someone to come up with. It would be a solid padded low platform with small wheels, like the ones you see on Heelys that the dog could sit on while he scoots along using his front feet. Sandy
People have made such things out of plant rollers, skateboards, and scooterboards.
nebo343

Post by nebo343 »

My little guy still gives me that pathetic look sometimes, and it is hard to ignore. But I forced myself to put him in his "Eddie's Wheels" cart for 15 minutes once a day, then twice a day.. gradually building up his strength. Weeebles was born without his front two legs and is quite capable of getting all around by hopping like a kangaroo and walking upright; but he has luxating patellas, and we need to develop his muscles and preserve his mobility. After he got better balancing himself in the cart, I took him outside to practice walking rather than doing laps in the living room.. and THAT is when he really perked up. He moved around even better than when I bribed him with cheese!

I believe he will always prefer being carried around, but I feel like we are opening a new world of possibilities for him with his wheels. He is the center of attention at the dog park, and he seems to like that. So keep at it, put your little one in situations you think he enjoys, and persevere.
Pam
nebo343

Post by nebo343 »

My little guy still gives me that pathetic look sometimes, and it is hard to ignore. But I forced myself to put him in his "Eddie's Wheels" cart for 15 minutes once a day, then twice a day.. gradually building up his strength. Weeebles was born without his front two legs and is quite capable of getting all around by hopping like a kangaroo and walking upright; but he has luxating patellas, and we need to develop his muscles and preserve his mobility. After he got better balancing himself in the cart, I took him outside to practice walking rather than doing laps in the living room.. and THAT is when he really perked up. He moved around even better than when I bribed him with cheese!

I believe he will always prefer being carried around, but I feel like we are opening a new world of possibilities for him with his wheels. He is the center of attention at the dog park, and he seems to like that. So keep at it, put your little one in situations you think he enjoys, and persevere.
Pam