Our 13 Yr Old Golden Can't Get Up

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
Pete

Our 13 Yr Old Golden Can't Get Up

Post by Pete »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry if there are posts that have covered a similar problem. Our golden, Abe, has had some problems with his hind legs in the past few months. He slips a lot on slippery surfaces so we got him some sneakers to give him more grip. They worked well on our tile floor and he seemed to like them.

The other day, he sprained one of his front legs and was limping a great deal. The next day, he seemed to be ok. That was yesterday. Today, he is completely down. He won't get up at all. My wife and I used towels to keep him upright (he's 90 lbs) and took him out, hoping he would urinate... no deal. We brought him back in and all he does is lie there. He's been eating, but we have to bring it to him. He takes Rimadyl every morning. We thought that was helping some.

Has anyone experienced this behavior? Could it be he's having a bad day and will be better in a day or two?

Pete
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Our 13 Yr Old Golden Can't Get Up

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Not moving his hind and no urination suggests a pretty serious situation.
I think it is urgent that you get your dog to a neurologist for examination and to be expressed.
A dog shouldn't go over 8-9 hours without urinating.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
BethT

Post by BethT »

Pete,

I agree with Cindi, get Abe to the vet as soon as possible especially if he still is not urinating. Once you have a diagnosis there are lots of us here that can help you. Please keep us posted.
Beth
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I agree with the others, a good work up should give you some valuable info. Is 90 # more than he can carry? I keep AmbrrNanaDog & St.JudeMiracleDog fit and trim because their shattered joints cannot deal with any extra weight. There are some exercises can give ROM without doing further damage.
You'll want to make sure he can 'evacuate' as I had a pup who was shot and despite being in the hospital and catheterized, she asphyxiated on feces. Of all things. That is my one big 'thing'. Make sure Abe can properly get rid of what's in his intestines...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks everyone!

I plan on calling the vet first thing this morning. We got him out late last night and he urinated. This morning he tried for a second or two to get up but can hardly move. His legs legs very limp and have no tension when I move them. He isn't interested in food this morning either.

Abe is a very big dog. 90 lbs is his "fighting weight". He has probably lost weight since we last weighed him. He was overweight at one point in his life due to a thyroid problem, but he's been very fit since we started medication when he was 2 or 3.

I'll post after we speak with the vet.

Thanks again,

Pete
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

http://www.hartmanharness.com/

I got a harness for my aging golden--he can wear it all day.

I also dieted him down to low normal. He wasn't overweight to begin with but he does much better at skinny.

I also took the back seat out of the car because I can't lift him when he needs to get in.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Automobile_conversion_for_a_disabled_dog