Dog with Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue, and CH (cerebellar hypoplasia), or brain damage.
kodiblue

Dog with Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Post by kodiblue »

I have a dog with CH, and would like to know if anyone else has this challenging pet. By the way, I'm new so hello everyone!Of my four dogs, this is the only one that hates strangers and guards both me and the house. He can't walk far without falling over backward or crashing onto his chin. Is a wheelchair the right choice? Has anyone used a stroller before? Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Kodiblue
artica02

Re: Dog with Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Post by artica02 »

Greetings Kodiblue,
Sorry I'm not much help on this as I had to do a web search to learn what this was. Hopefully others will chime in.

You may want to post this on the paralysis/neurological issues forum too---though its a different disorder, many of them have experience with wheelchairs etc. and may offer some good advice.

Can you tell us more about your dog? Is this a pup--what breed etc. From my very brief web search, it at least sounds like this doesn't typically get worse and dogs may learn to compensate to a good degree.

Lynn
Beth Weeble's:o~ mom

Post by Beth Weeble's:o~ mom »

Wecome kodiblue! I did answer your post down in the Caretakers Cafe. Not sure how big Jack is. Weebles weighs about 28 pounds & as active as he is I doubt very seriously if he'd even be quiet enough to be in a stroller, or if one could support his weight. I will be measuring him (with lots of help!) next month for his cart. Should be a real workout trying to get measurements as he " Shakes, Rattles, & Rolls" ALOT! LOL!
I did have another Weeble, tho did he not have CH, he did have brain damage from Crack Cocaine, & he only weighed around 10 pounds. I had a stroller, & Weeble just barely tolorated it. Also had a cart for him from Eddie's Wheels & while he never really learned to walk in it he enjoyed the feeling of just being able to stand like a "normal" pup.
If you have any other questions please ask, there are lot of folks here with alot of knowledge.
Let us know how Jack & Chelese, Weebles siblings are doing!
(((hugs)))) from me Beth, & licks~~ & wags from Weebles!
kodiblue

Post by kodiblue »

I wrote about my CH dog on the Caretakers Cafe. Thanks for your interest, I found that the web doesn't offer much practical help for us as caretakers. See ya, Lisa