Classifieds scam

Understand how to protect yourself on the web. A discussion of fraud, security, and virus.
HandicappedPets.net

Classifieds scam

Post by HandicappedPets.net »

This is from an email sent to HandicappedPets.com, reprinted by permission:
I just thought that I would inform you of suspicious activity resulting from a classified add I posted on your website. I am selling a walking wheels cart. I got actually two responses from different email addresses. They both sounded like they were from the same person. The English was kind of broken and it was obvious that it wasn't an American that sent it. Or a really old person????? Anyway they said they wanted to purchase the item. They wanted to send a check and extra money for a so called shipping agent. Also, in conflict of that, they said they owned a shipping company and would have the item picked up. Anyway, I'm sure it's a complete scam. Maybe you should post a warning on your site of this scam. I'm sure I'm not the only one that got contacted. Hopefully no one bites the bullet. Just thought I would mention this. I'm going to report it to the internet fraud department of the FBI. They should be able to track the email address to the source.