Attemped Scam - "I'll send you my work check..."

Understand how to protect yourself on the web. A discussion of fraud, security, and virus.
markcrobinson
Site Admin

Attemped Scam - "I'll send you my work check..."

Post by markcrobinson »

I recently sold my used cart on your website, and I just wanted to inform you of an individual who tried to scam me.

Thankfully, I was aware that this was a scam, but I have heard stories from poor individuals how did not realize what was happening. Basically, the individual tried to tell me that he could not send me a check for the price of $200 but had to send me his entire work check of $4300.

He had told me that he entrusted me to deposit the $300 into my account and then return the $4100 back to him.

I have heard of this scam before, and basically he gets you to pay him $4100 of your own money, as well as gaining the information regarding your bank account, in which he continues to steal your identity.

We have contacted the police about this, and they are familiar with the scam; however, they cannot do anything about it since they do not know where he was coming from. They told us to contact you, so that you can warn others about this scam on your website, and also that you may be able to provide more information about this individual. His email address, or the one that he used to contact me, was a yahoo.com address. If you post anything,

I'd appreciate it if you did not use any information that would identify me, as this gentleman has my address, email, and phone number. I am afraid of what he will be able to steal from me, even though it is unlikely.

I just wanted to inform you of this so that another individual does not get taken advantage of. Unfortunately, he used our tragic story to try and catch us offguard. This made us very upset.

Thanks for your help and your excellent website. Let me know if you need any more information.
Mark C Robinson
HandicappedPets.com
For Elderly, Disabled, and Injured Pets; products, services, and support.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Attemped Scam - "I'll send you my work check...&quo

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Mark, I havea $13,000 check here. Secret service, FBI, IRS, US of A, my own bank and local law enforcement, none of em are interested. My guy knows where I live, my phone number, everything. Tried to sell Andy's car online. Ended up giving it to his best friend.
Attachments
BAD CHECK.jpg
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Tshelbie

check scam

Post by Tshelbie »

I too was recently approached by a person that went by the name Ganny Moore@yahoo.com. They agreed to buy one of my used carts and proceeded to send me a cashiers check for 4000 dollars. the Cart was only 200 plus 25 for shipping.
I checked with the Alaska USA credit union it appeared to be drawn from and it turned out that the check was counterfeit. The letter appeared to be from a spanish country. The person became hostile when I told them it was counterfeit and I desired no further contact. They threatened legal action and demanded I cash the check immediately in turn I would get their shipping info. Are you kidding me? It's sad when scammers hit on honest people trying to help disabled animals. I just want to put this out there so it doesn't happen to anyone else. Most of the people I have dealt with on handicappedpets.com have been great and I hope it stays that way.
puremutt

Re: Attemped Scam - "I'll send you my work check..."

Post by puremutt »

Yes this is a well known scam going on for years.
Tell as much people you know about it, or paste it and send to your e-mail adresses.
If it's too good to be true it ALWAYS is!
Hope these people get hurt fast and bad !
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Attemped Scam - "I'll send you my work check..."

Post by Bobbie »

Thunderbird has a feature that is supposed to detect Scam emails. I'll be interested to see what it snags.

It probably looks for misspellings, though, and those aren't what give away those I'll send you the big check, you send me the change, scams. They are very common- people get them at rescues, when they post on Craigs List, you name it.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels