Simone Needs An MRI Fundraiser

For all financial topics related to handicapped pets, including fundraising, financial aid, affordable equipment, assistance needed, and items to donate. A list of financial aid organizations is provided here. This forum does not give financial assistance.
Polka-Dot

Simone Needs An MRI Fundraiser

Post by Polka-Dot »

Hi everyone! My name is Simone. I am a very special 2 year 5 month old Boxer girl. Regardless of my youthful good looks, I have lived quite a life and sure have a story to tell. You can find out more about me at my bark blog here:

http://web.mac.com/polyps/Simones_Home/Blog/Blog.html

I am posting here today to ask for your help. My pack and I are trying to raise enough money so I can get an MRI. My doctors tell me this is the only way to find out why I have been having these horrible grand mal seizures. I've started anti-seizure medications but I continue having allot of seizures.

Please check out my fundraiser at Fundable.

http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/gr ... 2843373940

I am forever grateful for any donation you can offer.

Please pass this link on to everyone you know who loves their family as much as my family loves me.

Thank you so very much!!!

Kisses, wags and smiles,

Simone! (White polka-dotted Boxer Dog extraordinaire)
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Simone Needs An MRI Fundraiser

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Let me share an idea or three.

Contact all of your local humanes ,and ask doc to put up a jar at office. Also, contact IMOM (In Memory Of Magic) and fill out their iapplication. I visited their message boards one time, and was DAZZLED at the responses!

Those of us here, unfortunately are in the same predicament you are and we have no $$ to spare. Doesn't mean we don't care, we just don't have it. Your CVs look good, and I would urge you to contact IMOM.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

One thing you might consider is whether there is any point in doing the MRI. Worst case scenario is probably a brain tumor. Surgery usually isn't a cure, and surgery plus chemo still only adds a few more months. Both cost a lot more money in addition to the MRI. At two years the most likely cause of seizures is idiopathic epilepsy, that is, they aren't going to find anything with an expensive MRI.

Just my opinion, as I have two epileptic dogs and have thought about these things and researched them.

Bobbie
Polka-Dot

Post by Polka-Dot »

GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily,

Thank you for the suggestions. We have contacted quite a few organizations local and national with little success. Because Simone isn't a rescue that has played a role in some of the organizations. The Humane Society here referred us right back to the teaching hospital she receives her care at and unfortunately they cannot provide anything either. IMOM is no longer accepting applications and Boxer Specific Rescues are either tapped out or not able to provide help specific to Simone's cause. However, we have been lucky enough to find people like you who have great suggestions that we welcome with much appreciation. We understand very well that many are tapped out especially b/c they are trying to meet the needs of the family and all special needs members. Thank you for your suggestions. WE GREATLY APPRECIATE IT! :wub:

Bobbie,

We have gone back and forth with the decision to do and MRI or not. Because Simone presented with issues at a year old and then the seizures, we, as well as the vets who have seen her, aren't 100% sure she has idiopathic epilepsy. We want to make sure we are treating her for the right issues and not putting unnecessary drugs into her body (she's quite sensitive). We would love to know more about your experiences though and what you know as you do have much experience with seizures and epileptic dogs. If you feel so inclined, we would love to know anything more you would like to share.

Thank you BOTH for sharing. We are most certainly wanting to advocate for Simone responsibly and with as much knowledge as possible. She is our first puppy and we never would have expected all of the challenges she faces to have happened, but we love her unconditionally and only want the very best for her. Any advice and experience is very, very welcome. Thank you again for sharing!

Cheers to you!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

My first epileptic dog, Jack, was two when he had his first seizure, so other than blood work we didn't do anything else. After about a year he started having them more than once a month so he went on medication, phenobarbital, which appears to be working for him.

Merlin had his first one at almost ten, so I considered further diagnostics (since a brain tumor is the leading reason for seizures in older dogs.) But in view of his age, the fairly poor prognosis for treatment of brain tumors in dogs, and the invasiveness of treating, I didn't see the point of knowing. Now I no longer believe it is a brain tumor; I think now it is environmental (long story) and we are working to figure out why. He's a year past the first seizure, and still having them on occasion on medication. (Zonisamide and phenobarbital.)

Both dogs take SAM-e to protect their livers from the effects of the phenobarbital, and get regular bloodwork to check their livers. I have injectable Valium on hand in case on of them goes into status (hasn't happened

I know many people do pursue diagnostics and even surgical or chemo treatment for brain tumors, but I don't believe in invasive procedures on older dogs unless they have a high likelihood of resulting in a good outcome and at least another few years. There is probably more point in a younger dog.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Polka-Dot

Post by Polka-Dot »

Bobbie,

I have heard of SAMe and knew of it's help with osteoarthritis but didn't realize it helped with liver function. I will have to get some for Simone. We have Valium as well for emergencies but have so far not needed it. She has both focal seizures and grand mal and we have found that we can sometimes interrupt the focal seizures. Any time she is having a seizure we grab a piece of frozen chicken from the freezer and see if she wants to lick it. If her seizure is only a focal seizure she is usually able to focus on licking the chicken and she stops seizing. We have her on phenobarbital and potassium bromide and so far they aren't having any effect. If her seizures don't decrease soon, her vets are thinking about putting her on a third medication.

How long have your dogs had the epilepsy and have you found any other natural remedies that lend their support?
Thank you for sharing your story.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Merlin has partial onset seizures... I wonder if I could interrupt them with chicken! There is usually only a few seconds between the seizure starting with what looks like grimaces or yawns and proceeding to a grand mal seizure, though, I would have to be carrying the chicken on me. But next time if I have something handy I'll try it.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Merlin's seizures didn't diminish at all until we added Zonisamide to the phenobarbital. Then they went from more than once a week to once every three weeks or so. He's had them for a year, Jack for two years. Zonisamide is what we started Jack on but it had no effect.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Polka-Dot

Post by Polka-Dot »

Bobbie,

Thanks again for sharing. We appreciate any and all information.

Cheers to you!
marlina

Post by marlina »

I am new student at a technical college, I currently have some health problems that were unexpected, and I am really having a tough time financially, although despite these setbacks I am maintaining good grades. I have some aid already, grants have paid for my tuition and books, and I have a small Stafford loan approved for this school year. Any suggestions on grants, scholarships, etc. would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My son was in the "we have no $$ for tuition" boat too. I am here to tell you there are foundations, grants, scholarships for just about everything, of course, this wasn't apparent to us at the time because we had no computer nor internet. Andy had many offers for free rides due to grades, but the music schools were not on a level that would enhance his future. One had no strings program at all and he would have had to play with the city's symphony as opposed to a school program. A couple other schools offered 4 years, if you promise to give back and teach. Have you explored those options in you state? They are there. I wasn't aware of them until we visited the schools.
As we are here for the assistance of pets and their owners, we have no links to provide you.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Marlina,

You might try meeting with a financial aid advisor at the college and tell them you are having extreme financial problems and wonder if they could provide any additional grants so that you could continue your studies.

When my daughter went to college we couldn't afford for her to live on campus, and she wanted to live ON campus. We called the financial aid people and told them it was a choice between their school and another that was cheaper. If they could provide more $$ in the form of housing/grants she would choose their school. They came up with the additional grants.

Good luck.