My "Tooter" needs wheelchair

For all financial topics related to handicapped pets, including fundraising, financial aid, affordable equipment, assistance needed, and items to donate. A list of financial aid organizations is provided here. This forum does not give financial assistance.
pdlady88101

My "Tooter" needs wheelchair

Post by pdlady88101 »

I have spent the last of my savings for m beloved 'Tooter" He is a 12.9 lb. tabby that I rescued 8 years ago and is in trouble now. He went lame on rear legs. I took him to my vet, who referred me to a vet specialst 250 miles away. They did MRI, CSF, Bone Marrow, cat scan. He was not surgical candidate. They are not sure why, ut spinal cord is thickened and has very little movement in rear legs. Otherwise healthy. I am on Social Security and also recieve widows benefits from Social Security. I am deperate, the wheel chairs online are too expensive. I want "Tooter" to have good quality while he trys to recooperate, instead of being in cat bed, not able to move about. Please help . I know there are guardian angels out there, my prayer is to find one for Tooter.
critters
Founding Member

Re: My "Tooter" needs wheelchair

Post by critters »

:whale: Before you buy a cart, I suggest you try a homemade one first. PVC is very user-friendly, and it shouldn't be hard to find somebody to make it if you don't want to. An even cheaper possibility, given the outlay for tools, etc. and the likelihood of needing patience to do-and-redo, is Dogs to Go, which has made custom PVC rear carts for, historically, about $50. The reason I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a cat cart is because cats are notoriously independent critters who aren't always cooperative with the idea of wheels; they tend to want to get around in their own way and their own time. :mrgreen:
Diana R.

Re: My "Tooter" needs wheelchair

Post by Diana R. »

I don't know anything about the homemade carts but I agree with what Critters said about whether cats really need a wheelchair. I have a cat named Simon who is 6 years old and has severe congenital deformities of his spine and hind legs which are paralyzed. He pulls himself around quite well. Harley, who just turned a year and must be close to 10 #. also pulls and scoots around and is quite fast when he is chasing another cat. He can go down and up stairs. His legs are paralyzed. We think he was hit by a car. I have others who have some form of rear leg deformities and they get along quite well without wheels and can go up and down cat trees etc. So you may want to see what Tooter can do on his own. Animals are quite amazing at how they adapt. Diana