Juniper, Catahoula double merle born w/ no anus - NEEDS HELP

For all financial topics related to handicapped pets, including fundraising, financial aid, affordable equipment, assistance needed, and items to donate. A list of financial aid organizations is provided here. This forum does not give financial assistance.
CarolC

Juniper, Catahoula double merle born w/ no anus - NEEDS HELP

Post by CarolC »

This is a crosspost.

Juniper is a 6 week old double merle catahoula puppy that is in need of immediate medical attention. Juniper has not had a good start at life - she was born with no anus and probably deaf and mostly blind. In spite of all of this she is the sweetest dog you would want to come across. She loves to be held and cuddled. She is at Caddo Parish Animal Services in Shreveport, LA. I am looking now for a foster home for her.

She is in need of surgery to contruct her an anus. This can be done at the vet school in Baton Rouge, LA. She will have to be seen here and tests done to see what will need to be done to correct her problem and to get a referral. Then she will have to go to Baton Rouge to have the surgery done. The exam and tests here will be $250-$350 and the surgery anywhere from $1,200 - $3,000. I know this is a lot of money but this little girl has really grabbed my heart - I don't want her to die there. We've already gotten $100 in donations. If you can't donate please forward and crosspost. If you can help you can paypal at http://www.animalwelfareinc.org (there is a link to paypal there).
catahoula.jpg

If after the initial exam the vet thinks it is not in her best interest to have the surgery then I will hold her while she goes over the bridge, but at least she would have had a chance.

Rebecca Young
Vice-President
Animal Welfare, Inc.
http://www.animalwelfareinc.org

There is an old indian legend that says when a man dies he must cross a bridge into the afterlife. At the head of this bridge waits every animal that he encountered during his lifetime. The animals decide which of us can cross and which are turned away.
CarolC

Re: Juniper, Catahoula double merle born w/ no anus - NEEDS HELP

Post by CarolC »

UPDATE

I emailed Rebecca to see what would be done with the doncations if they didn't get enough to do surgery. Her reply was:
Rebecca Young in a private email dtd 061209 wrote:They could be returned or kept in the fund for another dog in need.

I think she will get the surgery, though.
She gave 2 updates:

Update on Juniper 6/11/09:

The vet said she needed to be on antibiotics and fiber to help her poop. She found out after this that she was from the shelter and he promptly went in the back, called the shelter, and yelled at the director because he let me rescue her. He came back in and said that she should have been euthanized at the shelter and asked me how many dogs could be saved with the $3,000 we were going to spend on her. He yelled at me in front of his staff and told me to go to another vet if I didn't like his attitude, which I said I would. He didn't giver her any medicine and said he will not give her a referral for the vet hospital in Baton Rouge. He told me he didn't want my money and for me to get out of his clinic.

She will be going to another vet tomorrow morning at 8:00 am.

Update on Juniper 6/12/09:

The vet she saw this morning was awesome! He couldn't believe how the other vet treated us. He was very nice and really wants to help her. He is only charging us half price since I am with a rescue. The total amount for everything she needs (iv's, blood work, worming, xrays, surgery, etc) is $1,000. We already have around $400 and there are a couple of checks that we haven't received yet. Can y'all crosspost again and see if we can get this money raised? Donations can be made to http://www.animalwelfareinc.org (paypal link).

I left her at the vets to start her on iv's and antibiotics. There is some blood in her poop but he doesn't think it is parvo (she is eating and drinking good, no throwing up). Juniper needs everyones prayers and support. Thanks to all of you for helping. I've attached pictures of her again .
Juniper.JPG
Juniper1.jpg
Juniper3.jpg
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:bounce: Here is the latest update. They only need a little more.

Update on Juniper 6/13/09

I just got back from visiting Juniper at the vets office. The first important thing is that she made it through the night. The second is that even though she is still weak she is stronger than she was yesterday. The vet said she ate good last night and drank a whole bunch this morning. They brought her to me in a room and set her on the table, iv bag and all. I petted her and said her name and she started crying, came right to me and leaned up against me, like she was telling me all of the awful things they had done to her. They are going to try and get more pressure off of her and do the surgery one day next week. Unless she takes a turn for the worse I won't have another update until Monday. Again, thanks for all that you have done.

So far we have gotten $785 in donations. This isn't counting cash someone has collected from different people or a couple of checks we are expecting. People are so giving and caring it brings me to tears.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Here is the latest update on Juniper.

Update on Juniper 6/15/09:

I called and talked to the vet this morning. Juniper has made it okay through the weekend which is amazing since her white cell count on Friday was 112,000! She was in septic shock and it's a miracle she is alive. This little girl has a great will to live and the vet is going to give her that chance. He is going to do more tests and bloodwork on her early today and hopefully she will have the surgery today or tomorrow. Since she is sick and is so tiny it is still touch and go - there is no guarantee she'll survive but I have positive thoughts that she will make it through just fine. Please, everyone keep praying for Juniper. I'll send another update this afternoon.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Where is the infection? I don't see any mention of injuries? :?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm assuming it is from toxins being released from the stool inside, similar to what happens with megacolon. I wrote and sent her this link.

http://www.bayparkpetclinic.com/article ... nstipation
http://www.bayparkpetclinic.com/article.php?cat=Feline&id=Constipation wrote:Retention of fecal material can have a very detrimental effect on the cat. Digested food that stays in the intestine too long will begin to "spoil" and "rot." When this occurs, the bacterial and toxins produced by the rotting food may then be absorbed into the bloodstream making the cat very sick, sometimes resulting in death.
I think they need to do surgery today but I am not a vet.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Date: Jun 15, 2009 10:03 PM
Update on Juniper 6/15/09 (afternoon):

The vet just called and he had just finished with Junipers surgery. She made it through it, which is a miracle. You all must have been praying really hard for her. She is pooping out of a normal place for the first time but she is going to be incontinent her whole life which will mean diapers. The surgery was rough, though.

She arrested twice during the surger but they had her on oxygen so the vet said she didn't have any brain damage done. They had to do a blood transfusion on her. They had to put a cathater in but since they couldn't find a veing it is in her bone marrow. She was waking up as we were speaking. I asked how much of a chance she had of surviving and he said she survived the surgery so he thinks a pretty good chance. She is a critical care patient and still needs all the love and prayers you can give her. Thanks to all of you who have helped either by donating, crossposting or just praying for her.
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

I'm glad she made it through the surgery. Our little Brisa has only had the first part of the surgery (they opened up a hole because she didn't even have one - or she had a fistula that closed - but still has to have the second part later (moving the anus to its proper place, at the moment it is touching the vulva).

I'm guessing about the infection Critters, but I guess to have reached 6 weeks she must have formed a fistula to poop and the problem is that the fistula usually forms in the urethra or even in the bladder, the poop passes through there so the fecal bacteria can cause vaginal or urinary infection...

Sending all the positive energy I can for her continued recovery,

Debbie
Kat's Club for Disabled Pets in Spain
www.elclubdekat.org
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:thankyou: Debbie! That makes sense!!

Boy, that baby's had a time of it!! :(
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

She is in the Shreveport Times today.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbc ... 9906160318
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

I'm so very sorry that she didn't make it...

Debbie
Kat's Club for Disabled Pets in Spain
www.elclubdekat.org
sheri m

Post by sheri m »

I am so sorry. We prayed so hard for the poor little guy.