Donations needed! Please help Sweet Pea

For all financial topics related to handicapped pets, including fundraising, financial aid, affordable equipment, assistance needed, and items to donate. A list of financial aid organizations is provided here. This forum does not give financial assistance.
doglover101

Donations needed! Please help Sweet Pea

Post by doglover101 »

Sweet Pea is a 1-year old Pekingnese who was attacked in April by our neighbor's dog that weighs in excess of 100 pounds! Upon going to the vet we found out that her back was broken and she is paralyzed in her back legs. The treatments she will need are expensive, the x-rays alone will cost around 350 to 500. She also needs a doggie wheelchair so that she can, when told it is safe by the vet, get out and enjoy the outdoors again.

She is a very playful, loving and strong dog. Right now all she gets to do is sit in her cage and watch the other dogs I own go out and have fun. I am asking you to please donate whatever you can, even if it is just 5-10 dollars to help pay for her vet treatments. They are talking of doing laser surgery which will have a good chance of getting her back up and running around. Please donate so Sweet Pea may one day be able to run in the yard and play like a normal dog. Thank you for any and all donations. They are greatly appreciated. God bless.

If we don't raise our goal, then we do not get any of the money. Please help us!

Just use this link to make a donation http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/gr ... 1195733532

If you have any problems with the link email me at smithh6078@wildblue.net and I will help u get to the right place. Thanks
CarolC

Re: Donations needed! Please help Sweet Pea

Post by CarolC »

Hi doglover101,

Does your dog have bladder control? Does she have deep pain sensation?

I assume her back was broken by being shaken, and I assume they did an x-ray in April, which is how they know it is a fracture. Did they tell you whether the spine is still lined up, or did the two parts of the spine on either side of the fracture move apart (sideways in relation to each other)? If it is still lined up, then I would ask the vet if he thinks the bone has healed and the fracture is stable now, because if it is, then she should be safe to use a wheelchair already. It has been 3 months.

I would also ask him honestly how much chance there is she will improve with surgery. 3 months seems like a long delay and surgery usually is more successful if it is done soon after the injury. I've never known a case where they did surgery this long after the injury. Is there a special reason why they still want to do it, and why they think it would help her?

She is very cute.

:pastel: