used wheelchair desperatly needed

For all financial topics related to handicapped pets, including fundraising, financial aid, affordable equipment, assistance needed, and items to donate. A list of financial aid organizations is provided here. This forum does not give financial assistance.
for the love of duke

used wheelchair desperatly needed

Post by for the love of duke »

hi,my name is clare and my 17 year old healer-collie mix was hit on june 2 -09 and i paid $5200.oo to fix his broken femur in new orleans... took x-rays to my old vet in colorado who discovered 2 or 3 spinal fractures right away (on the first vets ex-rays...)the new orleans vet never once mentioned these fractures, only built him some bionic leg that is most likely never going to support his weight. we do water therapy, lots or range of motion ,acupuncture,and micro-current therapy.in recent days his little nub tail has shown tendencies to wag, and he drags himself around well and has control of bladder and defecation...we use a bottoms up harness. despite his age, before his accident duke could still jump over the truck tailgate. we are a four dog family and are adjusting to this new way of life,,i am each day very grateful that he remains with us, seemingly free of pain and in pretty good spirits. its been a few months with many prognosis' of paralasis or a neurological disorder that is impeding his back legs ability to function any more.the new orleans vet ended up costing $1600.00 more than quoted and i have spent all savings on this and am in debt to boot now.. i am tired of arguing with people over the phone about this matter and have no choice but to accept the extra debt. i feel like they really took both me and duke on a very expensive ride. we need to find a wheelchair for duke but i cannot afford the new ones...i have lived in the woods with my dogs for many years and had just moved to the city a week before he got hit after squeezing though a fence board during a flash thunderstorm. i am rather a ludite and this is the first time i have attempted to use the internet to help remedy this situation..i would be very glad for any advice or assistance in finding a used wheelchair device...i can still pay some ,but must be frugal as i also have three other buddies to care for and feed.i know there is some one out there that can help us...thanks all, clare and 4 dogs wouldsayhi.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: used wheelchair desperatly needed

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Welcome, claire! I'm glad you found us.
Sorry you need us, but we are here to help. If you post in the Mobility forum you can get some feedback on Duke's condition and other things you can do for him, I'm not a dog expert by far but there are many handicapped dogs on this site.

I know there are used wheelchairs out there, again that isn't something I myownself am familiar with finding.

I wanted to welcome you to Hpets and encourage you to use the Mobility forum, and of course join us in the caretaker's cafe forum for general support/chit chat.

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
FYI

Complaints

Post by FYI »

CarolC

Re: used wheelchair desperatly needed

Post by CarolC »

Hi Claire,

:confetti:

Some of the best ideas are in the sticky post about Wheelchairs on a Budget. It contains links for rentals, secondhand wheelchairs, and homemade wheelchairs.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8161

Did you ask the physical therapy place if they might have a loaner for you? Or if they know of anyone local who used to bring their dog for PT, who might have a cart you could use for a while?

It's terrible to have such a huge expense, you can go through so much money trying to do the right thing for your dog. If he has bowel and bladder control that is very hopeful, and maybe the nerve problem in the leg will resolve with time. I don't know much about nerve damage in the hind leg, but radial nerve damage (front leg) can take quite a while to improve.

Someone here bartered services to get what she needed for her dog. In her case she was a computer whiz and she provided computer services in exchange. Maybe there is something you could trade? There was also someone here who literally refinanced her house to free up some funds. That was amazing.

You can post an ad on Craigslist, and you can search the Craigslists in other cities through Google. When I wanted something I could not find, a couple of times I have posted on eBay under a section called "Want It Now". You give a detailed description of what you want and see if anyone will respond, and it's free.

I would be very careful about wheelchairs on eBay. I have seen some that look poorly balanced, like if you put your dog in them he might tip. I've also seen some that looked too heavy, or not sturdy enough. I've seen one model on eBay where it would be impossible for the dog to do his duties in it, it's ridiculous. A wheelchair needs to be a good fit, height, weight, neutered or intact, etc. Once in a while you will find someone who is willing to pass on a wheelchair with the promise from you that you will also pass it on to someone in need when you are done. Hope something comes through for you. I would suggest you post whatever information you can about your dog here. Height at the shoulder, weight, neutered or intact, etc. Good luck!