Bailey Needs A WheelChair...Help If you can...

For all financial topics related to handicapped pets, including fundraising, financial aid, affordable equipment, assistance needed, and items to donate. A list of financial aid organizations is provided here. This forum does not give financial assistance.
baileysmom2010

Bailey Needs A WheelChair...Help If you can...

Post by baileysmom2010 »

Hi, First time on the board, and reading everything i can. I have a soon to be Five year old Blue Roan cocker spaniel one blue eye and one brown. (Bday is Dec 12 2010). who was diagnosed with IVDD. Two ruptured discs in his back. It all begain November 3rd 2010.. he had a rough night of back pain, he has had hernatied disc before and the vet prescribed his meds until he can be seen the next day, well that night was horrible, i stayed with him all night and he was paralyzed from the mid section back and unable to walk. Trembling. We went to the vet and they said he has a small window for back surgery, long story short, due to financial we were not able to do the surgery and then within a 1/2 hr there was no deep pain sensation. He stayed in ICU for two days, came home, got worse and 2 more days back into ICU. came home again, (now during this time, his front went limp and he has since regained some strength in front) we got him home for the second time and we do need to express him. he has bowel capabilities only. He is doing well at home now but again somehow suffered facial paralysization~! the vet is shocked. Two separate events. The facial paraylization is weaning off. I had a beetoveen for a dog for a while with all the drool. but now it is getting better. He is simplying an amazing dog that refuses to give up and so wants to walk and play again. he loves tennis balls! We play with him as much as he can. He can't seem to get off of his "elbows" He is able to walk if he lift his hiney. We recently purchase the full body sling for him, I CAN"T WAIT for this item as my back is hurting lifting him but he loves to walk, so i do it. I hate to inquire, but i need help with his wheel chair purchase... i want to by from handicapped pets. We are currently doing vet visits once a week with accupunture once a week and also Reiki sessions once a week, as you can imagine this adds up but his vets are so awesome! My two kids are only asking for Bailey to walk and play with them again for Christmas! He is not just a dog, he is our family. We love him sooo much!

:thankyou:
Last edited by baileysmom2010 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Bailey Needs A WheelChair...Help If you can...

Post by critters »

Since it's only been about 6 weeks, there's a really good chance Bailey will eventually not need a cart. Personally, I'd hold off on buying one for awhile, and I'd try to borrow or homemake one for the meantime.
baileysmom2010

Re: Bailey Needs A WheelChair...Help If you can...

Post by baileysmom2010 »

The vet doesn't think he will regain his deep pain sensation again. we continue to move his legs for circulation etc. I do hope so, he hates not getting around. I did get a full body sling and that helps some for him to walk with help and save my back... keep praying... for my bailey. thank you