Help needed for special needs senior

For all financial topics related to handicapped pets, including fundraising, financial aid, affordable equipment, assistance needed, and items to donate. A list of financial aid organizations is provided here. This forum does not give financial assistance.
igmomma

Help needed for special needs senior

Post by igmomma »

I'm desperate to try to find a way to get funds raised to help a little dog I rescued. I run a no-kill rescue group, back in May I rescued an epileptic dog with severe luxating patellas. Her name is Portia. When she first came into rescue, we where able to get her seizures mostly under control and deal with some horrible rotten teeth and fix one of her 2 knees. The other knee is really bad, grade 4, but before I was able to have the 2nd surgery done her epilepsy grew worse and she started into early stage congestive heart failure. We're still working on getting better control of her epilepsy, she's having clusters of seizures about every 6 days right now, and we're still working on trying to improve her heart function. She's not a good surgical canidate at this time, but she's having trouble even walking, my vet has suggested getting a brace made for her bad leg would be a good option for her, and is also advising me that weekly acupuncture in addition to the physical therapy we're already trying would probably help with pain, as well as the epilepsy and heart problem, but having lost my job a month ago, I'm can't afford to pay for all this care for her myself, and the funds in my group are at an all time low with several special needs dogs we've had to care for in the last few months, and a few broken legs that have come in. I'm desperate to find some help to help me get the brace that she needs, as well as trying to find help to pay for some of the therapy and acupuncture treatments my vet wants to do to try to get more control of her heart problems and epilepsy, and hopefully get her to a level where we can get her back to the orthopedic and do the surgery to repair the knee, but until her heart and epilepsy are better controlled, the orthopedic and my regular vet are in agreement that she just can't survive the length of anesthesia required for that type of surgery.

My group has put up a chipin for her http://iggypalacerescue.chipin.com/portia, and have been trying several things to raise funds, but so far we haven't been successful. We've also contacted over a dozen financial support groups, but we're always turned away either because we're a rescue group, or because this is more of a chronic then an acute problem.

[chipin]1fed540db96702f5[/chipin]
Aron

Re: Help needed for special needs senior

Post by Aron »

Physical therapy is really helpful in this kind of scenario i have personal experience with my dog and physical therapy realy helped me.......
igmomma

Re: Help needed for special needs senior

Post by igmomma »

She's already getting physical therapy every week. It has helped but alone it's not enough, and even the expense of the physical therapy is adding up. I'm trying to find some financial assistance for her to make acupuncture an option financially, as my vet and I both feel it'd be very beneficial in addition to a knee brace to help her walk easier.