wheelchair assistance

For all financial topics related to handicapped pets, including fundraising, financial aid, affordable equipment, assistance needed, and items to donate. A list of financial aid organizations is provided here. This forum does not give financial assistance.
onlybsw

wheelchair assistance

Post by onlybsw »

My wife and I own a beautiful 17 year old German wire-haired pointer,that strongly resembles a Spumonie Itlaliano, we had rescued from the local pound when it was 6 months old. We have only owned rescued pets and this pet turned into a lifesaver for my wife. She became handicapped and "Buddy" was the reason that she was able to get around and became he 24 hour companion as I put in some long hours and days at my job. Now Buddy needs our help and we are finding very hard to help him. We lost our home due to an unfortunate accident and are currently homeless, living in a motel. Buddy had a minor stroke several months ago and recovered about 95% to normal. For some unknown reason, he has lost the use of his right rear leg. Buddy is 110 pounds of pure love and very difficult to pick up, even for me, much less my handicapped wife. The money I make is currently just enough to pay the weekly rent, some food and help for our two children. We made the mistake 17 years ago to put our beloved Black lab down because he lost the ability to walk with his two hind legs failing and swore we would not do that again just because they cannot walk. Buddy has only that defect now and that is not a reason to put down after all the years of devotion that he has given us. He has no other problems as the vet gave him a clean bill of health recently, with strong lungs and heart. We need help in finding assistance for us to continue to give Buddy the quality of life he helped give us. We need to locate a wheelchair or cart that is able to support his weight. For the past 24 years my wife and I have rescued almost a dozen different animals from certain death and destruction to include an extremely abused pit bull puppy, and 6 week old pup that was left in the gutter in the dead of winter and others. We immediately took all the rescued pets to the vet and had treatment given to them out of our own pocket to the tune of 3-4 hundred dollars at a pop and never asked for a dime from anyone. The pit bull needed immediate surgery that had cost us over $500.00 that the vet allowed us to pay over a month time frame which did help, but that was it. Now we need to ask for that help. If you know of someone or some organization that might be of some assistance to aquire a wheelchair for a dog of his size or the means to buy one at a greatly reduced cost, we would be greatly appreciative. Time is becoming something of an issue ,unfortunately and the sooner you can respond with anything the better. Again, thank you for "listening" to me and may God Bless you for what you all do for the animals. my address is John White, 3648 Washington Blvd., apt 105, Baltimore, Md. 21227; 443-742-9035.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: wheelchair assistance

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Your Buddy is so special. They find us, I am convinced of this. I know of an assistance dog who then went blind, and her 'patient', her person, her beloved care receiver then became her caretaker. It was the truest love story.
There are spinal stroke pups here. Have you perused the paralysis forum? Don't even worry that you have to make a decision right away.
Is there a reason besides the stroke for the weakness? 17 is a good old age for a pointer.
It may be something that responds to therapy, ie range of motion (by you) or water therapy.. You near water at all?
There are financial aid links at the top of this section and there are cart-aid programs.
Someone with your problems will be along shortly and will be able to give you some definitive advice.
Thank you for doing all that you do for the four-and three-leggers.
WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Dianne

Re: wheelchair assistance

Post by Dianne »

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cf/class ... =headlines

There are currently 3 dog wheel chairs for sale in the weight range of your dog. Normally the carts are measured to each dog's specs and I am unsure if these carts are adjustable.

Example-#1- $225- "Cart is in excellent condition. I purchased it used for my female Lab who never was able to use it. Originally made for female German Shepherd with degenerative myelopathy who used it for a year."

We made our own dog wheelchair with schedule 40 PVC from Home Depot, and salvaged wheels. You saw and fit the PVC with plumbers glue. Depending on your family finances, you may also wish to do that.

Dianne