Disposable malewraps frustration

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
CarolC

Disposable malewraps frustration

Post by CarolC »

I thought I would try the convenience of disposable malewraps. I have tried 2 brands. They make them with elastic along the sides. That might be fine for an active dog that walks, but they DO NOT WORK for a dog that is bedfast and lies down all day. As soon as he curls up, the elastic sides come closer together and the absorbent pad pooches out away from the body. The only way to get them to lie flat against the body is to take scissors and cut off all the elastic. Chewy says they don't sell any without elastic. In other words, they don't sell any suitable for a down dog. I am going to sit here and cut elastic off of a whole package of wraps.

GRRRR!
CarolC

What it looks like when...

Post by CarolC »

you cut all the elastic off your disposable male wraps and hang them up for a week to air out the overpowering plastic smell..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

male_wraps_airing.JPG
P.S. Chewy gave me a refund after reading my 2 star review, and I didn't even ask for one. That was nice of them as it was a pain trimming the wraps and I don't know if the odor is going to go away or not. WhenI thanked them I repeated my suggestion of a hospital wrap.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Disposable malewraps frustration

Post by critters »

I've never dealt with them for us, but I've ordered for clients and Chewy seems to have exemplary customer service.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

In the end, the wraps did work, with elastic removed. I wanted something he could wear in the hospital because I've had 2 dogs given back to me with sores from vet stays, where they were allowed to lie in wetness. I was hoping this would be different because this has 24-hr staffing, whereas the other place didn't have anyone in be building during the overnight hours. But I was also worried he would get his bandages wet since he tends to spray his chest when he urinates if there's nothing to catch the urine. It turned out he didn't have bandages other than a piece of see-through tape on his incision, and the tech that expressed him the first night did not realize what would happen and got his chest and front legs soaked and had to clean him with wipes. But anyway, I think the hassle with the wraps was worth it.
:pardon:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Spouts like a fire hose, eh? That sounds familiar! :haha: :hysterical:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Buddy would probably :trophy: the peeing contest. But when I stand Pip up first thing in the morning and hold his front legs out of the way, his stream arcs out in front of him about 18". Not bad for a little guy. :lol:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:hysterical: :haha: