Discrimination against an amputee - Question

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
dlwishengrad

Discrimination against an amputee - Question

Post by dlwishengrad »

Hello!
My name is Dana and I've never posted before, but I have a question for others to see if they have encountered this problem and if they have any suggestions.

I have an 8 year old Rottweiler, Big Girl, who lost her front left leg four years ago after being hit by a car. We recently moved from Tennessee to NJ, and are now living in a 2nd floor condo with my 6 year old daugther.

Big Girl is doing great, although it takes quite a bit of effort for her to go up and down the stairs to do her business outside. Since she is very large and balances like a tripod, she must rest after going down the stairs. Because of her situation, she is unable to walk to the designated dog walking area 2 blocks away.

During the summer and fall months, I seeded the small area where is urinates, because the acid kills the grass. Now that it is winter, the grass obviously isn't growing. A neighbor has been complaining that she is peeing on the grass, and even suggested, in a joking way, to "shoot the dog". I tried to explain that because of her condition, she physically can not walk to the designated dog walking area. This is obvious to anyone that sees her. She balances like a tripod (and she is 100 lbs) and often loses her balance and falls down. I have now received a call and a phone call from the Home Owner's Association, for me to remedy this problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I even bought a few pieces of sod (and finding sod in January in New Jersey is very diffficult!) and put in down on the driveway and sidewalk to see if she would use this. I guess I just feel that I understand that there is a designated area to walk dogs, but since she is an amputee, I feel that the Home Owner's Association should not expect a 3 legged 100 lb dog to walk to and from this dog walking area.

Sorry if this is very long, but I am very fustrated. I am a single working mother and am doing the best that I can. And by the way, Big Girl is also totally blind in her left eye, and mostly blind in her right eye, in addition to being an amputee.

Thanks for any suggestions or even just support!!

Dana
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Discrimination against an amputee - Question

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Is there any way you could leave a wagon at the foot of the stairs somewhere? Maybe you could take her via a wagon to the "poo/pee spot"?
I think you have done your best to try to accomodate your neighbors, but you may need to meet with them and discuss your and your pups needs. Perhaps between the association and yourself you can come up with an answer.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
maryteresa76

Post by maryteresa76 »

Hi- I live in a condo too, and I know that it can be really difficult dealing with stubborn, crabby neighbors that have nothing else to do but be "condo police." I've been fairly lucky so far. You've probably already done this, but I would recommend checking your by-laws and regulations. Usually they seem to be pretty strict about laying down the law about where pets can relieve themselves, but maybe you can find some guidance there to help you negotiate. I would definitely use the property manager to negotiate or be a go-between because I don't believe that it will help you to deal with this neighbor personally, when he/she clearly doesn't see the value in your dog's life. (There's truth to sarcasm...I digress.) Your property manager should be the person to facilitate working this our- that's part of what you pay assessments for.

As far as discrimination, unfortunately, the laws in most states have not caught up with the way many of us view our pets- as family members. For instance, in Illinois, courts have only recently begun allowing owners to seek compensation for their emotional distress upon losing pets due to someone else's negligence. Previously, an owner could only seek the value of the animal, because they were considered property, rather than living beings we have emotional attachments to. I don't know what the state of the law is in New Jersey regarding pets, but I think that the simple fact that you have assumed responsibility for the grass that has been "damaged" by your girl going on it should be a key negotiating factor for you. I'm sure they will tell you that if they have to make a concession for you, then they will have to make concessions for everyone. However I am sure that very few people have your precise predicament. If you continue to seed and water and maintain that patch of grass, and hopefully it's not right in front of your neighbor's window, then what else can this neighbor say? Also, if you know some of your other neighbors fairly well, or know that there are other dog lovers in your building, perhaps you could ask them to write letters on your behalf to the management company simply stating that as long as you maintain the grass where your dog pees, they do not have a problem with your using that patch of grass, under your unique circumstances. I think that could be pretty compelling if this one neighbor is shown to be the only unreasonable party here. Good luck- please keep us posted.
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Hi! I really commend you for caring for your dog with such love. Some people just don't accept handicapped animals (or people!) no matter how much you try to please them. I have a medium-sized dog who has been trained to use the disposable dog pads to go potty on when he's in the house. Considering your dog already has difficulty going up and down the stairs, would it be possible to train her to use dog pads in your house? The pads are specially scented to attract dogs and encourage them to urinate. Anyone have thoughts on this idea?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Maybe you could convert your car to make it easy for her to get in and out, and then drive her there. Here is an article showing how to take the back seat out of the car for a disabled dog to get in easier.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Automobile_conversion_for_a_disabled_dog

Critters found these links for different brands of indoor facilities for dogs--they resemble grass.

http://www.pupgearcorporation.com/Products/Pup-Head

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/articles/2004/12/13/news/news06.txt

http://petapotty.com/

These pictures show a chest harness and a converted stroller used for a front amputee dog.

Image Image
http://www.oscardog.it/English/oscarstory.htm

Would it help any to get letters from a couple of vets to include when you present your case to the homeowner's assn? Offer to pay a monthly fee, and look into moving as soon as possible? I'm sorry they can't just be nice about it.
tessa

Post by tessa »

i was about to suggest the doggie pads as well.
the only other thing i can think of is to buy a bit of indoor/outdoor carpeting. green. most sailing dogs learn to use that as grass, and when xena was in the quarantine...she liked to 'borrow' someone else's bit of carpet.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Alternatively, could you teach her to pee on a peepad OUTSIDE?
dlwishengrad

Post by dlwishengrad »

I am overwhelmed by the wonderful responses and support!

I wil try the pee-pee pads. Is it difficult to retrain an older dog to use these? Sometimes Big Girl doesn't feel like going down the stairs and often holds her bladder for over 24 hours! I know this can't be good for her. I often lure her down the stairs with little pieces of chicken. She has amazing self control and has only had "accidents" in the house if she had an upset stomach. However, I do think this is a good idea to start since she is getting older and I believe it will get more and more difficult for her to go up and down the stairs. I also have her on Glucosamine / Chondroitin and MSM and I believe these supplements may be helping her with her joints.

I will also speak with her vet to see if he will write a letter for me to present to the association as well. And maybe they will allow me to continue to maintain this little patch of grass since this situation is different than other people who have dogs that can walk to the designated pee area.

I've seen the pictures of the handles to strap on the dogs to help them balance, sort of like a suitcase? However, I am a bit intimidated by the whole process of measuring her and fitting her. Any suggestions on how these handles have worked for others?

I spoke on the telephone with the Home Owner's Association and sent out a letter as well, so I am waiting to see what they will say. I agree, these crabby neighbors who have nothing better to do than be the condo police, need to focus on something that is more important than a little patch of dead grass in the winter!

This discussion area is great for me to see others dealing with handicapped pets. Some people told me that I should have put Big Girl to sleep 4 years ago when she lost her leg, but she is really doing great. She is still such a happy sweet dog, although just much less active. However, with much effort on her part, she still manages to get onto the couch with us to watch TV and then onto the bed to sleep!

Thank you again for the support!
Dana
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

dlwishengrad wrote:I've seen the pictures of the handles to strap on the dogs to help them balance, sort of like a suitcase? However, I am a bit intimidated by the whole process of measuring her and fitting her. Any suggestions on how these handles have worked for others?
I'm not sure, but I think the kind you're talking about may be a belly harness? It goes around the waist and has suitcase handles? Again, I'm not sure, but it seems like you might do better with a front harness (chest harness) since she's a front amputee. Measuring for a chest harness should be a snap.

They have something called a Lift-and-Assist harness that might be worth a try. I think Christine bought one and likes it, though her dog is not an amputee. You'd have to see if it would stay in place. If it does not work, it looks like it would be returnable. You could call the toll free number to be sure.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/body/index.htm

Here is the return policy.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cs/#Returns

They make custom-made amputee harnesses. You can see them here:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mob-Har-FBCA.html

If you want to talk to the company that makes them directly, you could contact them here:

http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/harnus.html

Puppy pads may be small for a rottweiler--she'd have to really aim. Do they come in different sizes? I guess you could spread a number of them around, overlapping. You can buy human incontinent pads for about the same price--they sell them in the adult diapers aisle of places like Walgreens or Wal-Mart. They are the waterproof absorbent pads you put under bedfast human patients to protect the sheets, and they are larger than puppy pads. They come in regular, extra large, or supersize (30" x 36").

mydogfarted

Post by mydogfarted »

Another possible option is a "litter tray". I've seen training pans for puppies that you actually lay sod in which teaches them to go on grass instead of paper.
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

I do hope you did not open a whole nother can of worms by writing to and calling the housing assocaition. I would think in that type of housing you would have had to sign some sort of agreement before even moving in. Whether you did or not, now that the association knows there is a problem, you might consider having a written addendum making allowances for Big Girl. If it is clearly stated that there is a specific area for doggie business and you did not get an exception to that clause, then you may be in violation of you lease or rental agreement. The neighbor who commented did not go to the assoc., you did. but the assoc may ask and after being approached, you may find more neighbors do not want dog poo on thier front yard and will be against you. Know what I mean? If the assoc asks you fired questions, i would try to get an addendum in the agreement and tell them the situation is handled. I would also try to convince big Girl to use pee pads. For incontinent people, you can buy disposable or reusable pads. I would have a special place for her to use these pads. In a walkway, someplace out of the way. I can see a rottie learning to use peepad but one digging in the litter like a cat makes me laugh for some reason. ( Like no respecable rottie would be found doing cat like behavior! lol) Maybe I am wrong about that!?!
Since the neighbor commented to you, and not the housing assoc., it is possible he just thinks he is funny - giving you a hard time because he sees you out there trying to patch the grounds? If he commented to me again, I would say something like, "oh, it wasn't the dog . You know how kids will be kids..." and walk away. Even if this person isn't involving good humored ribbing; what is he going to say? Is he going to video tape your dog pottying so as to prove who done it?
BTW,my dog does pee on the fence and now that there are small children living next door, they like to be at the fence and yes, there are brown spots in thier side of the grass... so in the summer when I see dog go over and pee on spot of the fence, i walk over and dump some water on it. I know you cannot manuever 100 lb dog and water pitcher down the stairs each trip;but maybe in th warmer months you can discreetly have a dish of water downstairs to dump on the spot.
BTW, any more comments on why she is not put down, and I would good heartedly explain that she is my guard dog. If you could get her to "woof" after the comment, even better. I had a rottie who loved everyone yet most people ( Especially jerks) where terrified of her. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to use misconceptions to one's advantage.
maryteresa76

Post by maryteresa76 »

I was the one that suggested that Dana go through the homoeowner's association as she reported that they had laready contacted her about her neighbor's complaints. My suggestion that she continue to work through them is based on the fact that all they have information about is her neighbor's complaint against her. She has the opportunity to work with and through them to turn the situation around on her neighbor by continuing to take responsibility for the patch of grass that Big Girl has been using.

Dana, I would also recommend that you allow your neighbors to observe that Big Girl is a sweetheart, and not a potentially vicious animal, as some people wrongly think rottweilers are. Regarding the pee pads, because your dog is probably too big for most of the pee pads on the market, you could go to a medical supply store to get the big ones they use on hospital beds for people and buy them in bulk. They tend to be far more absorbent and cheaper than the puppy pads. Of course, they don't have those special pheremones that lead puppies to pee on them, but they're good quality. I know someone posted that they are at WAlgreens, but I think i f you get them in bulk from a medical supply store or company, they are cheaper in the long run.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I work for a POA and have for over 15 years.
To allow an exception opens cans of worms and we cannot do it.
BUT! There are ways to comply w/C&Rs. I like the idea of puppy litter and to maybe wagon her to a safe allowable spot.
I don't think you will be able to circumvent the rules, just because. If it is alright for 1, it is alright for all. However, keep it friendly, open and I like the idea of the neighbors meeting her, seeing what she is truly capable of, until you open people's eyes, and put some humanity to the situation, you cannot sway the thought that "this dog should be put down". Which is unfortunately what the majority of the public feels. UNTIL they are faced with the same situation. I strongly urge against getting the press involved, as if you put pressure on the Board, you cannot win. Rules is Rules.
But we can work around this. We can comply at an expense, and OPEN EYES! You have a unique opportunity here to educate folks on the QUALITY OF LIFE OF THE H-CAP PET!
Anything is possible, we know this. But the rest of the world, which is HUGE, does not.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

SandyNY! You reminded me. PetsMart sells products to help the grass! I think I would ask the vet before using them, though. I'm not sure altering the pH of urine is the best idea...

Nutri-Vet Grass Guard neutralizes the potential for high pH (alkaline) urine that can damage grass.

This all natural supplement keeps your dog's urine from burning your lawn. Manufacturer offers a 100% money back guarantee.

If you hate the yellow spots left by your dog on your lawn, it's Green Grass supplements to the rescue.

http://www.petsmart.com/ps/main.jsp
RichB

Post by RichB »

I would be glad to build your dog a simple cart/wagon for transport from house to the dog-walking area, if you pay for materials. I will use spare parts of mine that you don't have to pay for also.

I think we can keep the cost under $25-30, wood, maybe aluminum and some wheels I already have.

I am thinking of a basic wagon with a flat platform belly height or lower, easy access for your dog.

I live in central NJ.
Let me know if you would like my help. I used to post here more often, I think some people remember me.
Rich B.
http://www.Enablingpets.com