Raider's improving I Think?

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
raiders mom

Raider's improving I Think?

Post by raiders mom »

Hi everyone...I can't express how much this web site has helped me since Raiders accident in Nov. 2008.I have read just about everything on the care of eldery and disabled pets and had soo much imput from people here.Just a little update this morning I was trying to express Raiders bladder and he was doing a lot of complaining.My other dog(she'd blind from cataracts)wanted to go out to go potty,so I bundled up against the arctic wind and freezing cold and took both litttle dogs outside.My husband shoveled a spot on the lawn for Pilea to use to go potty.I put them down and Raider hobbled over to a place and actually Peed a little on his ow!!!YEAH!!! I am so happy.He gets so cold so fast since they shaved his back half to do the surgery and I have to be super careful that he doesn't slip and fall and rebreak his pelvis but I am encouraged by this progress.Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it safer for him outdoors,and do you all think this is a good sign?Could he be regaining bladder function and control? Please if anyone has any thing to help with this slpipperly issue let me know ...THANKS SO MUCH Handicapped Pets...Raiders Mom...Kathy
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Raider's improving I Think?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

There are little snow booties on the products pages. You could also carry a rubber hall mat with you downstairs. I am so happy for you! And RAIDER! YAY RAIDER!
In the meantime, you can either use baby socks or people socks and fabric glue some rubber or terry cloth to the bottom of them and affix with velcro strips.
WE WANT PICTURES!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Congratulations! That is major. Yes, it sounds like bladder control is returning. :ecstatic:

Good point about possible slipping. Can you put down some sand for him to walk on after the area is shoveled?

They do make lots of brands of dog boots, including the kind for snow, but I haven't tried them. If your dog has boots, then I don't know why you couldn't put down salt, which does a great job on slick walkways.

http://www.petboots.com/

Congratulations again! That is such good news!!!

P.S. They say to keep expressing until bladder control is dependable, he may not be emptying completely yet--but hooray for him!
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

:wow: :applaud: :wow: :applaud: Great news about Raider!