180 lb. Mastiff, leg weakness, incontinent bowels

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Uriah's Mom

180 lb. Mastiff, leg weakness, incontinent bowels

Post by Uriah's Mom »

I love my doggie so much. I can't bear the thought of taking his life. He is a happy pet. But his back legs are increasingly weaker and his bowels are incontinent. He needs more exercise than I can give him. We've given him two neurosurgeries and I've purchased all sorts of things to help, but I just don't know how much more I can take. My house is full of poop. He is difficult to lift because of his weight, weak legs, and innate stubbornness. I wish there was a doggie convalescent care center--at least till I can catch up on everything around here, then maybe I could take him back. It breaks my heart that he might feel we abandoned him. He is so loyal and loving. But I need help. People just don't live like this--surrounded by the filth in our home.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: 180 lb. Mastiff, leg weakness, incontinent bowels

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I am so sorry for your trials and exhaustion. We have often said that we need a caregiver's day. Can you get a friend or family to stand in for you to let you regenerate and relax? Treat yourself to dinner and a movie. You need a break and although that won't cure your boy's problems, it will give you some energy to face it again. There is a 'poo on demand' you can do to at least control when and where your boy messes. You can get him a belly wrap for urine, you just have to make sure you keep his area clean and avoid urine burn. So many folks here do these things and should be along shortly. You will want to post in paralysis or I'd be happy to move this for you, as that is where your issues are commonly addressed. CarolC devised an engine hoist to lift her boy, and was also greenlighting a 'plant stand' with a pole and hook to give some leverage. Remember the lift and pulleys from our science classes in school? The weight of the object is reduced with the number of pulleys. Amazing. If your boy is happy, that is so excellent, his spirit is willing, if his body is weak.
There are some special needs canine day care out there. Are you in a big city?
If you line your floors or his area with dollar store plastic shower curtains and cover with either foam pads or flannel sheets that are 'pinned' down you can simply throw in the washer. I use plastic sheeting I buy at wallyworld fabric dept. by the yard. It is heavy weight and doesn't slide unless pups are racing through house. You can spray bottom with spray adhesive. Then when time to wash, just pull up gently, take outside and hose off.
Others will weigh in shortly and if you would like me to move this so more people see it, just 'holler' WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I am not sure I have the answer but can only share some ideas that have worked for me. The messiness problem is something you can control to a large degree. My big dog was bowel incontinent for the last couple of years and toward the end his weak legs meant he sometimes fell in it when he tried to squat, and we had Disaster Dog on our hands. He didn't like it, I didn't like it, the carpet didn't like it. We ended up stimulating his bowel movements. I will tell you the whole process in detail, but here is a webpage that gives additional information.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets

The first thing we did was limit him to the back of the house. The only thing that kept me sane was knowing the living room and dining room were off limits and that part of my carpet would always be clean. I could not bear to have mess in there with my Mother's china and family heirlooms, etc. I closed off the front of the house by keeping the door to the kitchen closed and installing a door between the living room and den.

The second thing I did was to change his diet. He had to have stools that were easy to pick up. I was tired of getting out the Resolve and scrubbing spots all the time, and they never really got clean. It is bad enough to see stools on the floor, but really bad when they soil the carpet. He had to be on a renal diet (Science Diet). I found if I fed him the canned formula his stools were always soft and messed up the carpet. If I fed him the dry formula his stools were firm and landed on top of the rug and I could pick them up with a tissue and did not need to spot treat the carpet. If your dog does not have firm stools, I would definitely see about adjusting the diet. Your goal is to be able to pick it up and throw it away and forget it happened. You may feel badly about asking him to eat something different, but I would draw the line and do it. This is something he is going to have to do for you. He does not sound overweight, but if his activity is low you might try Science Diet w/d which has a lot of fiber and produces firm almost dry stools that are not nearly as objectionable as most.

Later even this was not enough, as during the past year my dog would sometimes fall in the mess, and that was a real disaster. Had to take him to be bathed or hose him off myself, both difficult because it was hard to get him in the car or hold him up to clean him. And of course if he fell in the mess it worked down into the rug. So we began stimulating him to evacuate. Here is the whole process we used.

I would try to figure when he was about due to potty. He would be laying in bed and I would put a double paper towel under his rear. I would put on disposable gloves (from Walgreens) and take an ice cube from the tray and lift his tail and apply it to the anus. He would begin working his tail up and down like a pump handle. After a couple of minutes he would begin to go and I would grab it immediately with lots of kleenex and put it in a plastic bag. Then we'd repeat till I thought he was cleaned out. Now I knew he was safe from making a mess. I do not think he enjoyed it, the ice cube was cold. On the other hand he did not enjoy being messy for 2 hours while I was at work, so this was the lesser of two evils. The first 2 or 3 times I did it, it was kind of gross, but I got past that and just concentrated on cleaning him out and praising him. We used baby wipes with shea butter when we were done. It was better for all concerned.

My best advice would be to work on the diet and possibly the ice cube, and promise yourself that as soon as you have stool quality improved and maybe learn to stimulate him to go when you are there to clean up, you will have a carpet company clean your rugs and give you a fresh start. (I like Chem-Dry, they will come back and retreat your rug if the spots reappear within 2 weeks.)

Do you think you could afford to board him at a rehab center for a week maybe? If you want to say what state or city you are in, I can try to see what is available.

Is a cleaning lady an option for you? I'd include "must love dogs" in the ad.

I believe you when you say you are at a point where you need help. I have just been through this with a dog I could not lift, and he weighed considerably less than yours. I had to use an engine hoist. If you really cannot do it, it's not your fault.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_hoist_for_a_heavy_dog
Uriah's Mom

Post by Uriah's Mom »

Dear Gabe and Carol,

Thank you sooooooo much for your kind and thoughtful responses to my quest! Sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you. I am still trying to catch up from our long overdue bath remodel. I've worked my way through he mound of laundry and bills and, before I attack that which is due to our largest creditor (the IRS), I thought I'd pause and face the poop prospect since my husband just got through scraping up another batch that Uriah slogged through the house :}
I thought I'd see if our breeder could help but it looks like she might have somewhat retired from the business. Thank you for all of your suggestions!! Once I get through my IOU's I'll get back and let you know how were doing. Thanks again!!!

Blessings . . .
Uriah's Mom
Uriah's Mom

Post by Uriah's Mom »

Dear Carol,

PS: Yes, of course! I live in Edmonds, WA. I thought I had searched for a local rehab center but it was awhile ago. The Vet Specialty hospital where he had his surgeries is $100 a day--we did that, following his 2nd surgery, for about a month. That was 3 years ago (where's the time gone?!). Any ideas--even out-of-state--would be welcome if they are more affordable than that!

You're an :angel:
Uriah's Mom

Post by Uriah's Mom »

Dear Gabe and Carol,

Thank you so much for all of your compassion, concern, and ideas for my beloved pet Uriah, who went to heaven on November 18, 2009 :angel: two days before my birthday. It was clear that he could no longer go on: I could see in his eyes that he had given up. So . . . we dropped by to visit some of the friends he'd made along the way, got some ice cream ( he LOVED to eat ;) ), and then I knelt by his side and held his paw as he passed peacefully away. I loved him so much. I know that he will never be forgotten. And in a little while, I will have a license plate with a purple background (his rick-rack collar ID color at the breeder) and waves (he ADORED water) and his name, URIAH, in honor of faithful Uriah the Hittite--my favorite person in the Bible.

With Love and Fond Memories . . .
Uriah's Mom
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You really went the distance with him. I don't think anyone can appreciate what it's like daily with a dog that size unless they've been there. He was a very fortunate dog. I hope all your dogs are easier in the future. You will always be able to look back and feel comforted knowing he had his full run thanks to you. I am sorry for your loss. :angel:

(((Uriah & Mom))) Mom, he hwas the luckiest pup on the planet t have you. They find us, they pick us,you know. Never doubt this. I am so very sorry for your loss, and also so thankful he had you for his mum.

When my St.Jude had th same look in his eye, he had spaghetti & carrot cake. Doc came to the house and he died on his couch. She said if she weren't PTS, she'd be treatin him for pancreatitus. This gift of eating whatever they like as they get ready to depart is now a tradition in my house, I've lost 3 in the past year and a half. They get icecream, chocolate, cat food, chicken nuggets and yes, spaghetti & carrot cake. It is our final gift to them.

My heart aches for your loss. I know that time makes the silence bigger. :candle: :candle: :candle:

November is kind of a killer month in my house and I lay low. I am sorry Uriah passed 2 days before your joyous birthday and hope you find comfort when you think you see him, think you hear him, wake up and think he's right there. BELIEVE.

Oh, and PS, now I'm going to have to google Uriah the Hittite. I know Uriah the Heep (not Dicken's Uriah Heep, the BAND!) and was a huge fan :) :)

Off to googleland now.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!

Oh! wiki'd him! I remember his story, soldier for King David, cuckolded by the King and refused to leave his post. Uriah. Strength under extreme pressure.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!