Pet Adoptions in Assisted Living Facilities

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Christine

Pet Adoptions in Assisted Living Facilities

Post by Christine »

When I saw this post early this morning, it made my heart soar! Last night, a rescue friend from Doggie Harmony told me that she has been working with a facility who wants to adopt a dog to live there, interact with the residents and be cared for by the staff. This lucky pet will receive lots of attention, playtime, frequent walks, etc.
Homes for Shy or Senior Pets
Posted by: "JOY AUSTIN" stargirlz4@bellsouth.net stargirlz4@bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 9, 2011 9:14 am (PDT)

I have been leaving adoption flyers at local senior communities this week for one of my foster dogs and I came across this wonderful website:

http://www.holidaytouch.com/Our-Communities.aspx

It is a nation-wide company that operates senior living communities that are mostly for independent living. They are very expensive and extremely pet-friendly with no size or weight limit on dogs. So essentially you have people who are home all day long, who have substantial financial resources, and live in a community that is very open to letting them have pets. Of course, not every dog is suited for this sort of life, but if you have any older or shy foster dogs who might do well in this kind of setting, check out their national map and see which of their facilities are closest to you. They seem to have some in every state.

All I've been doing is asking if I can post a flyer with a good picture or two of my foster dog, a short description (including adoption fee) and my phone number on it, on an appropriate bulletin board, or wherever the receptionist or person manning the sign-in desk directs me to put it.

Joy

I shared this news with the other members of Hearts to the Rescue and we were all so excited to think about this possibility and wishing that more people would think this way. Then, this morning, I see this wonderful email! What a great resource for the pets and for those people who might be living in one of these residences, missing that part of their lives.

I was just checking Holiday's website and see that in our home states, GA, TX, VA and Arizona , there are at least five in each of those states.
http://www.holidaytouch.com/Welcome-To- ... video.aspx

Joy's email just confirmed the fact that this IS a viable possibility - even with our independent facilities. How many do each of you have in your community? How about those of you who take your therapy dogs for weekly visits ? These would be even more open to this possibility! Who better to understand and comfort an older dog or one with infirmities although a puppy could awaken the lightheartedness that babies always do.

I think we should share this line of thought with every rescue we can think of!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Re: Pet Adoptions in Assisted Living Facilities

Post by critters »

2 assisted/Alzheimer's places (non-related) have critters here. The one my grandpa was in wasn't very good, but they had a cat and 2 birds living in the facility.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

More and more allow residents to have a small dog or cat, but that is a nice idea for a facility. I placed a corgi mix that went to someone working in a VA home; she goes to work with her owner and visits with the residents but goes home at night with Her owner.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Christine

Post by Christine »

Today, Joy made this comment:
I'm so glad the information could help other people. With the residences I've stopped at so far, I've been told that there are far more people wanting to adopt a dog than there are dogs readily available. As long as the dog is pretty well-housetrained and doesn't have any aggression issues, most seniors really aren't that picky about the kind of dog. Many of them don't have internet or if they do, aren't aware of how to use it to search, but if you are proactive in going out to talk to them, you may be amazed at how well you are received. Most places require that the dog be spayed or neutered, up-to-date on shots and have no history of aggressive biting.

Joy =)
I think the key is making these places another avenue of possibility. An employee bringing a pet to share the day is a good way to start and test the waters.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
BethWeeble's:o~mom

Post by BethWeeble's:o~mom »

I just started a job being a caregiver(tho I've only worked once so far,was hired a month ago :cry: ) I do go into folks homes & help them with everyday tasks & am set up to work nights. When I app;ied for the job I did ask if I would be allowed to bring my Hotwax (my new therapy dog) with me,& was told absolutely not, they could'nt take the risk of Hotwax biting someone. I told them that all he could do would be gum someone to death as he has no teeth :lol: (afterall he is a naked boy, & being a Chinese Crested sometimes they do lose their teeth) it was like they never heard me & I was told no, that alot of people don't like dogs. I tried to explain that of course I would not put my dog in any danger(Tori was backhanded at the nursing home once) & I would respect a persons wishes not wanting a dog around, but was told NO. So frustraing..... Hotwax could bring alot of smiles to alot of lonely folks.