books

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
critters
Founding Member

books

Post by critters »

I've become engaged by Miriam Grace Monfredo's Glynis Tryon mystery series. Here's a review I just wrote for "North Star Conspiracy," the second book in the series.

I have to agree--historical fiction at its best., May 12, 2008
By critters (VA) - See all my reviews

It appears that Ms. Monfredo's books are no longer in print, which is a true shame. I generally have no use for historical fiction, but she takes great pains to try to have the facts in a row. One of the things I like best is the encyclopedia-type entries in the back of the books detailing where history stops and where fiction begins. As somebody with a bit of a mental block where history's concerned, I appreciate not learning "fiction in the guise of facts" to get myself in trouble. LOL

In addition to this, the stories are just plain good. The publishing order is the chronological order, and I recommend reading them that way. They don't go immediately head-to-tail, but they do interconnect in ways that will make more sense if you read them in order.

I have to say that, being in VA, I found a small mistake in this book where it takes place in my area. It doesn't hurt the story a bit, and, according to other locals I've talked to who wouldn't have recognized the mistake either, it doesn't seem to be all that common of knowledge.

This is an EXCELLENT series, and I strongly urge people to check it out.

SO...what're you reading??