Any Experience with Pet Insurance?

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
markcrobinson
Site Admin

Any Experience with Pet Insurance?

Post by markcrobinson »

One of the major Pet Insurance companies has informed me that they will cover our new Walkin' Wheels dog wheelchair. That being the case, I wanted to mention them on the website.
... as long as people have not been having bad experiences with them.

If you have had some experience with a pet insurance company, would you post here and let me know?

Thanks, and Warm Regards to all,

Mark C. Robinson
HandicappedPets.com
Mark C Robinson
HandicappedPets.com
For Elderly, Disabled, and Injured Pets; products, services, and support.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Any Experience with Pet Insurance?

Post by Bobbie »

I had VPI twenty years ago, so things may have changed, but I was not happy with how they actually paid claims. They imply they will pay all of the percentage they say they will pay, up to the listed limit. But that was not true. They would only pay if THEY agreed the treatment was necessary. For example, they refused to pay for an E-collar even though the vet hospital required it (although they DID pay for the Holter monitor the vet school was trying to protect with the E collar!) They called Parvo NOT severe when it resulted in five days of hospitalization (because it didn't require surgery) but their list of coverage did not specify that severe meant surgery. So I was not happy with it, and eventually dropped it.

It did pay off for me (I broke even with three dogs) because one of the three had a serious illness that was covered. But otherwise it would have been a waste of money.

On the other hand, lots of people like it, and having it cover a cart would be a good thing. You might want to ask them what they will ACTUALLY pay for the cart, though, before stating it is covered by XX company. If they refuse to tell you that, it is a good indicator that they don't pay as fully as they claim to.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I too received free insurance for a few months when I adopted Ambrr from the shelter in 2000. It did not cover 'well-baby' issues, only catastrophic at 50%. Which of course, she didn't need until 5 years later, after I had dropped it.

I HAVE heard that someone has coverage that covers 'well-baby', innoculations, annuals, & etc. but I don't know that for a fact. If so, I can tell you I would promote that as long as I breathe.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
luvmytripod

Post by luvmytripod »

I've been with PetPlan (now Petsecure) for many years. I've chosen to take most of my animals off the insurance, as it has not been cost-effective overall for them, but Jaida is on a pretty good plan and being the medical trainwreck that she is, it has paid for itself so far. As we get into new issues that possibly involve her spine I know it's a good investment. As far as I know, based on recent conversations with them, they will also cover up to 300$ for an approved medical device like a wheelchair (yay). My overall experience with them has been very positive, their customer service is great and I've never had problems getting quick turnaround on my claims, and I've never NOT been compensated for illnesses/injuries....everything was compensated to my expectations. Of course they don't cover pre-existing conditions, but they're spelled out right away and can even be removed if you can demonstrate the illness/injury is no longer an issue (Jaida's right arm for example is no longer on the exclusion list...duh she has no right arm). My only beef is that you start with 80% coverage of costs, and we discovered that if you end up submitting in the top 10% or something of all claims then they lower the coverage to 60%. It's happened twice to us, and I've argued it back to 80% successfully with little effort both times, but it's really annoying.
lindsayanng

Post by lindsayanng »

I have had the ASPCA pet insurance for about 2 years now. I have 6 cats and one special needs dog (missing a foot) and the price is good, and their coverage is GREAT. they do not nit pick about what is "nessecary" and they do pay about 80% of the fair price.. so if your vet gouges you, they will not pay 80% of your vet's high price, they pay 80% of the average cost of the visit across the US.. This does sometimes make it not EXACTLY 80% but anything is better than nothing..

I just had to have a syst removed from the cats mouth. the surgery was $500 and i got a check for $400 4-5 weeks later.

Their coverage is also a lot more comprehensive because although they give you a limit on your yearly spending, theres not a limit on the TYPE of treatment.. For instance, PMI will only allow your to claim $2000 a year in heart illness, even if each illness COULD be non-related. (now those numbers are made up, just trying to make a point) But ASPCA just gives you an overall limit on spending. Its a little bit better coverage, although the payout is close to the same

Oh yea, and their phone support is REALLY great. THe people are nice and actually caring about your animals
Cappy Peg Leg has his own BLOG!!!
http://powernubby.com
AmyLynnB17

Post by AmyLynnB17 »

Hi Mark!

I think that is AWESOME that there is a company out there that is willing to do that! I personally have PetsBest for all 3 of my dogs. I have ALWAYS had good experiences with them, from their Customer Service to their Claims People to their turn-around time on getting me paid (always less than their promised 2 weeks). Also, they do NOT have a schedule of benefits - meaning they pay in full (minus deductible and co-pay)whatever it is your vet says is the needed care for your pet (a few exclusions do apply, but they are truely FEW). The vet fills in their diagnoisis and treatment on the claim form, you send it in with your receipt, and you get refunded the full amount minus your deductible and 20% (Their plans are 80/20, one may be 70/30 - I don't believe there is a 100% plan out there). They are also very good about multiple treatments (at even multiple vets) for one issue.

Check out http://www.petinsurancereview.com/ for an even better review of the pet insurance companies. This is a 3rd party site where customers can review all of the companies out there. :-)

Hope that helps, and I know I have said it a few times before, but those Walkin' Wheels are AWESOME!!!!! :-)