not sure what to do now

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
janew

Re: not sure what to do now

Post by janew »

Tessa.
She is adorable... I am the biggest sucker for those black & rust babies...the white trim is just a bonus. You are lucky she kept her sweet little 'eyebrows'. About a year ago, I adopted a black & rust with white trim doberman mix pup. Anna was too keep me busy after I lost my wonder dog. Like you, her passing left such a hurt, I can put no words to it. Anna pup is no replacement and has carved her own spot. But the funny thing, is I searched for a pup that looks like your Sasha but with semi erect ears, I knew there was no replacement for my beloved, Lydia, but since I loved every bit of her including how she looked, I figured I'd at least try to adopt similar looking dog unless a needy one popped up. I found Anna on petfinder from the Doberman Rescue Group in Bixby, OK(great people). Anna's mama was pure blue doberman & daddy was???., she looked just like your pup with flop ears at 12 weeks old. As she grew,so did her 'eyebrows', those eyebrows went from sweet little Sasha brows to Brooke Shields on steroids to the MacDonald's Golden Arches. She now sports a 'houndy' face with heavy eyeliner. And she is just fine as she is, the Anna dog & in no way takes my Lydia's spot...and, boy howdy, she keeps me engaged, busy & laughing.
Best wishes,
jane
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

he Christine, we actually sold ours......

but with our new dog, you never know if we will travel again.
So far he was terrified to even be in a car.
last week we bought a Suburban, I put one of his beds in there and we taught him to jump in it, it worked, he looked out the window ( I still see him shaking) but it is progress and we took him to the park with it 3 times, so we have a student here who still needs to learn a couple of things, just like Tess, we are pretty much in the same position.
Mickey is with me every day as well and how easy going he was, was just one of a kind.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
tessa

Post by tessa »

we are more alike that you think!
sasha is terrified of the car...and if i put her in the back, she will pee and poo there. if i keep her up front...she won't...but if the ride lasts longer than 10 minutes...she vomits profusely.
looks like caravanning is going to be incredibly difficult, even if we *could* drive across that ocean!

jane...i had a good laugh at the golden arches. thanks!
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Tessa,

I just saw the photo of your baby. What a cutie! I LOVE THOSE EARS!!! Is it okay if I nickname her "Donkey" until she grows into her ears? She looks so much like my Manny did. Same color, same ears...until of course he grew up and became the most handsome German Shepard ever. I wish I still had pictures from when he was a pup.
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

I just love reading about the new pups lol.
Sasha reminds me soooo much of my very first dog I got her at 17 year of age, her name was Hashi and she was super smart, as in way smart. She used to open doors and could scale any wall, and hide from the dog catcher till I snuck her threw the door, she also loved to swim and protected my friends and me from strange men lol. It took me over 4 years to get anther dog when she crossed.
I used to call her airplane ears lol. She was part basenji thats where the ears come from they are also one of the oldest breed of dog.
I can relate to both of you still grieving over Mikey an Xzena... My PC crashed and died I lost all of my pictures of Buster so I looked the few up that I put onto HPC and just lost it all over again reading about all that boy went threw. A day does not go by where he has not crossed my mind, I just have a way of blocking out the pain. He has been gone 10 months now and Grete has been gone 4.
On my fine art America page I honor Buster by useing his picture as my aventar.

Diesel just turned a year old he is skinny as a rail at 80 plus pounds and eats like sea bisket.
We had three Iris in bloom verse 30 and he snaped them off almost immediately, he is not the mellow pup I first brought home.
He is after all a boxer so we have at least two more years of pure high energy ahead.
I stopped taking him to the dog park because he is now the bully and my husband refuses to get him fixed. All in all he is turning out to be a great dog and sometimes i wonder if he is Buster reincarnated because he does have some of his traits.
I took him to the pet shop and bought him two frissbees. I had to throw Busters away after hanging onto it for months it was time to let it go.
Seeing Diesel catch one is just so much fun you guys, to see the power an grace of movement as he jumps three feet in the air is fantastic to see again.
The only drawback is that he is soooo spoiled already I even let him lay on the couch my bad.
Enjoy your new furbabies as much as i enjoy reading about all your new adventures.
thanks for shareing.
Caroline
LUCKYSIMI

Post by LUCKYSIMI »

This was an old post so i don't think the writer will see my reply. I am new here. But my dog Baby is 17 and has paresis, incontinence, dementia. I identify with all she said. My doggy is not here for me anymore, even tho she is here. I miss her so much. i didn't know how very much until I read this post and started writing this reply.

I miss my Baby,
She is here
and i miss her.
I get mad at her and I feel so terrible.
It affects every other aspect of my life.
I don't know what to do either.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Bless your heart and welcome to our group. Everyone who has posted on this thread will see that someone else has written something, so I am sure you will hear from others.

What an amazing and wonderful thing to have shared your life with Baby for 17 years and even more wonderful that you are caring for her in her twilight years. Are you able to handle the incontinence by expressing her? There are many here who deal with this every day and it is a part of their routine. There is medication for doggie dimentia now which might make things easier on both of you, but of course, your vet could let you know if it is safe with anything else she might be taking.

The "mad" that you feel is more frustration and helplessness. Are there things you could use advice about? I have learned so many things from others on this board who have been through things I thought only I had experienced. Do you have anyone to help you? Are you able to take a few hours off knowing someone is there for Baby?

Take a deep breath, give Baby a sweet kiss and let us know what we can do to help.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
LUCKYSIMI

Post by LUCKYSIMI »

thank you so much for answering me.
just knowing u r there helps me already. I will look into dementia meds although i doubt i can afford them. I will ask vet about expressing her which i knew nothing about.
It hurts to mourn her absence while she is here...and to be reminded of it everyday.
I am 67 and watching her lose control over life is like looking into a mirror. That hurts
too. i know no one can answer that part, but it helps me to say it.

and Yes , I went away for two days and my friend
stayed here for me. when I came home much rested, she said she saw why i am "going crazy:

Thank God you are here.
Joyce
tessa

Post by tessa »

hi joyce...welcome.
sorry to hear and know that you are going through the end stages with your friend of 17 years.
it's all so sad, and will be sad for a time to come yet...but it does eventually get better.
i'm not exactly sure how long that takes tho. i am a film maker...and i will eventually make a film of xena's life...
but i still can't even scan the pictures of her without crying. i can think about her sometimes...but i can't look at her pictures yet.
it's coming up on a year (september) and still the pain is there.
i had three years to prepare...and still...the grief is powerful enough to keep me from doing what i promised i'd do:
make a film of xena's life.

when i do finally make it tho...i will post it here.
right here.
LUCKYSIMI

Post by LUCKYSIMI »

it was your words that made me realize what i was feeling
forever grateful

i am an artist too.
I paint. When my first poodle died 40 years ago , i drew her picture lying on the cold garage floor where my parents had put her.
People thought i was crazy. But I know you understand. That drawing made me feel her more deeply than anything else possible could.
Make your movie. You will get back your dog.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

We believe my 14 y.o. neuro parapup had dementia as well. He had some happy times at the end, and the greatest gift was knowin for the first time in his life, he was safe, beloved, happy, and well-provided for. He was a street dog for the first 14 years of his life.

To be there for them is our greatest gift, both to give and receive. Hugs to you and baby.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Eloise J

Post by Eloise J »

The little moments that used to annoy you or seem like chores are now painful reminders of your pet's absence. It's normal to feel lost and unsure of what to do next when you're grieving.

Take your time to process your emotions and don't rush yourself to move on. It's okay to miss your dog and feel sad about the things you used to do together.

Eventually, you may find new routines and ways to enjoy life without your pet, but for now, it's okay to take it one day at a time. If you feel like you need extra support, consider reaching out to a grief counselor or support group for pet owners who have lost their beloved pets.