not sure what to do now

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
puremutt

Re: not sure what to do now

Post by puremutt »

Yes they trust and the trust is amazing!
first day when I approached him, he would constantly have his ears flat and would lay on his side with the leg up.
he did that with everyone who approached him.
One day later and he greets people with a wagging tail behind the door!
I am terrified to take him out of my yard yet, I just walked from one gate to another on the outside and he was terrified.
don;t want to lose him, will take one step at the time.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

That's exactly right puremutt. Slow and sure. He has been through so much. He will turn out to be perfect and you will marvel at your life with him. You won't believe what it took to get him to be your baby boy.

He is so forgiving. Forgiveness just slams me. Your boy is BEYOND BEAUTIFUL!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
tessa

Post by tessa »

oh my god.
he is soooo adorable.
i look at his face...and it's love. how you can not love that face?
dogs are god's creation...god's perfect creation (and i will sooooooooooo rarely mention god, except that i cannot look at a dog and not see the creative perfection) and this one looks made for you. okay...if he was over this way, i think he would have been made for me...but given that he is over your way HE MUST BE FOR YOU!

please...give him a kiss in that special spot between the eyes for me.
he is beautiful. a gift. your gift.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

yeah he is a cuddler for sure!
He is totally home in the house already.
Next step is the outside world.
I bought a little harness leash, so I am comfortable he can't wiggle out of it in a panick.
We did a tiny walk.
My neighbors came with their 2 very gentle Labs and he went beserk: barking/teeth/growling.
We think he might have had bad experience with people as well as other dogs.
Long road to go, but this was another first.
Lots of kisses for sure.
We can compare notes now LOL

let all beings be happy
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Wow you both got new furbabies?
I think that is just awesome!!
Purmutt your new pup does look like your last dog alot. What a cuttie pie.
Puppies are work oh yes they are lol, and we do compare I for one wanted Diesel to be just like Buster. (well the good parts anyway)
Buster was not a good puppy he ate 3 pairs of eyeglasses, a goldchain, the coffee table , socks, waterplant cans ect, and a bird of paradise poison plant that made for a pricey vet bill.
Buster was large well bred Brindel, and intertaining .He loved to play frissbee, I also think he could read my mind at times.
Well Buster and I just conected from day one, I dont think I ever loved a dog as much as him. But never say never.
Diesel is fawn somewhat shy and was well behaved for the first 6 months now at almost ten months of age he decided to eat my bed spread. He is getting rowdier by the day he has destroyed the back yard no flowers this spring, and like Buster has started to make strange sounds when he wants something. He loves to play with balls and can even move one with his front paws by himself for hours.( sometimes in the middle of the night)
He has really grown on me, and he has really grown he is over 77 pounds already a much slimmer build that Buster was but he may grow up to be a big boy as well.
Bottom line is life without a furbaby sucks, and given enough time most will steal your heart all over again.
Caroline

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
--------- Ann Landers
tessa

Post by tessa »

sasha goes to the vet in an hour for her last needles. i'm glad of the timing, because i believe she also has some sort of bladder infection. yesterday, she peed well over 20 times, 6 of those in the house (she is fully house trained now....so those are disappointing accidents for us both) and she appears distressed when peeing and sometimes not able to tell if she going to pee or poo and so switches from one position to the next, then back, and takes a long long time to decide what, if anything, is about to happen. also she's licking at her bits with gusto.
so. i'll be asking for some puppybiotics today as this is the third time this has happened since we got her. we saw the vet about it once before and he said it was attention seeking behaviour, but i KNOW it is not. attempts to capture a sample have all failed, but liz saw some pee pooled on leaf in the park and said it was a rose colour...so, they'll just have to trust our word for it.

on the brighter side, in three weeks, sasha has learned how to sit, lie down, stay (wait-wait), speak, pee on command, go the correct way around obstacles on the leash (uh-oh), and is now training to be my running partner. she's learning to not stop to sniff, and i'm learning how to jog with a bag full of poo.
it's looking like the good life.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

compare notes:
MIKY learned in 2 weeks:
sit, stop, come , trust in people we meet, housetrained.
LOL what else?

I am having a dog trainer at my house on Sunday, there is a nervous fear issue meeting other dogs.
He whines at first, like he WANTS to meet and when we get close he barks, shows teeth.
I want him to feel comfortable so I decided to ask the expert.

let all beings be happy
tessa

Post by tessa »

good idea.
problems interacting with other dogs have to be dealt with effectively and immediately.

i forgot to mention that sasha knocks on the door when she wants to go toilet.
unfortunately...if you don't open that door within 10 seconds, there are sometimes consequences. but she ALWAYS asks, and NEVER lies (ie: only pretends to have to go so she can go for a walk)

sasha has a urinary tract infection.
she is now on puppybiotics.
she also got wormed today, but due to her small size, and the pill's relative large size, the vet cut the pill in two, placed one half on the table, and got the other half ready to shove down the throat.
sasha looks down at the half pill on the table.
'what's this?' she says.
eats it.
LOL.
here...have the other half now.
good girl.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Sounds like you've got a real character on your hands! Hope that UTI clears up real soon.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
tessa

Post by tessa »

well...the puppy is growing and she is smart as a tack, but she is rather defiant and challenging at times too. it's been a real journey. i can't quite remember if xena was like this as a pup. in my mind...she was simply perfect from the day i found her.
part of the problem is that is has been so oppressively hot for the past two months. this pup is growing up with very little outside time because the ground is too hot to lay a foot on. it's been quite awful for us all. but we're fully house trained now. sasha sits, lies down, stays on command. she will walk at my heel perfectly. she has great potential, that's for sure. but she's such a hand full at the moment.

in the meantime...i miss xena every day.
i talk to her every day in my head.
and most days, if i allow myself to remember in too much detail...it will end in tears.
my heart is still so broken.
this hole will never heal, i fear.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

we have so many similarities!
I never had a problem with Mickey as a puppy EVER!
Now I need to teach this one so much more, we need to get the 'heel' position still working on that with a tight pull on the leash every time.
Issue with other dogs is still a problem, although I have more people with dogs recocgnizing us, but it's hard to contain him when He stands upright and barks and doesn't listen to my command.
He is more a cuddler lately and does play with the toys.

Mickey will never get out of my mind either he was the perfect dog, he was special I knew it when he was alive. realised it every day.

let all beings be happy
kodiblue

Post by kodiblue »

puremutt, Snoopy looks EXACTLY like my Jack. I envy you the opportunity to love him. Jack had CH and couldn't walk but he was so feisty and full of life, he never missed a minute right up to his sudden passing. He would literally howl for someone to take him potty cuz he wouldn't go in the house even in winter. You are so lucky to have him, keep sending pics please.
connie

Post by connie »

omg, did she say IT'S BEEN TOO HOT? lol. oh how i wish i had some warm weather. lol.
the baby is soooooooo cute, hyper huh? lol, part of being a fur baby i guess. but so adorable, so glad he has you. we get so much love from these furkids. mine is what keeps a smile on my face lately.
take care, post more pic;s when you can.
hugs and doggie kisses
connie and cricket
tessa

Post by tessa »

hi everyone.
things are ticking over in the old xena house.
i still miss her every day, and can't seem to stop crying...if i let myself think about her.
wow. what a wound.

sasha is growing up nicely.
she is starting to learn to play *nice*...but is still an over-exuberant puppy, emotionally.
physically...she is almost all grown now.
i just bought a motorhome...and she loves it. everything is small dog sized...so she's claimed it all for herself, including the bed.

now. if only she'd grow into her ears.

Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Tessa!

That is one happy dog who does look like she is ready to take flight with those sweet ears. I work at an RV resort...how far are you traveling with that motor home???? Puremutt has one too - I think you should both form a caravan and head to Georgia! Dogs are allowed :mrgreen: www.unicoisprings.com and I live 8 minutes away....(you don't even want to know why I know it takes exactly 8 minutes to get there :lol:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08