not sure what to do now

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
tessa

Re: not sure what to do now

Post by tessa »

the new puppy is a dear and is quickly learning the ropes.
she's clever and sweet, defiant and energetic...a handful and a 24/7 distraction.
but still...
i cannot seem to stop crying for xena.
i feel now that i am betraying the both of them...
betraying xena for allowing a new dog into her space. and betraying sasha by pining for my xena all the time.
after 2 weeks of having a dog in the house again...i think i'll disagree that it's the best medicine, tho i have the feeling it will all be good in the long run.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh Tessa...I so know how you feel. All I have to do is think of my sweet Bailey and the tears flow, as they are right now.
I can remember right after Bailey died, Penny came bouncing up on the porch and Glen said "your girl is here". I looked and him and said "she is NOT my girl...she is a good dog, but she is NOT my girl".

We all know that each one is different, but that they share the secret of unconditional love. They understand way more than we give them credit for. Your new little one knows she has a job to do, just as Penny knows that she is Bailey's legacy to us. They are here to keep the candle burning, so to speak by giving us all the snuggles, kisses and cuddles they can muster or just to sit and let you cry into their fur. As much as all this has hurt, neither of our girls would want us to be so sad.

Giving another dog that love is so bittersweet, but it really is the circle of life and by caring for another, we are honoring and still loving the ones we lost. Holding you close in my heart and praying that your pain will go away.

Love,
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Tessa,
I can't say I know how you feel because I've never been in exactly the same position. We all feel differently, no matter how similar the situation. But I do know that you said you trust Xena.
i have been coaching myself to just let go and trust. she'll do it. she'll figure it out. she has always been such a good girl. she has always done everything i've asked of her. happily. even when it meant her life would end...she did that too, for me.
so i sit here waiting.
trusting.
Xena may not be with you physically, but she is there in spirit...she never left. I think the reason you don't see her in dreams is because she's always by your side...waiting to greet you by the door, or on a pillow beside you at night. I bet if you become very still and listen, you can hear her sweet breathing. I don't think our precious ones come back "physically" if their spirit never leaves our side. I feel my Manny here with me all the time, even though it's been years since he passed. I see my Minky walk past me and do a double-take because he's been gone 6 years. All through my house I see the shadows of my little ones, there one minute, gone the next. It's actually become quite comforting. I used to think I was seeing things, or "going nuts", but I know they are all with me.

Xena might not have returned to you in Sasha, but I bet she sent her to you, not as a replacement, but as a new little partner. She knows you have a lot of love to give, and apparently, she thinks Sasha really needs it...and you. I truly believe Xena wants you to be happy and will always be by your side. I don't believe in "accidents". Some may disagree, but I'm a firm believer in the theory that "everything happens for a reason". We just don't always know why for a while. As far as Sasha...I bet she's as happy as all get-out! With you for a "mommy" she's got more than she ever dreamed possible. And I've learned over the years that our little friends don't mind "hand-me-down-love" at all. They seem to know what's going on way better than us humans. :snoopy:

Trooper's mum
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I too have to say this is completely normal. I went through th same thing, only with a touch of alienation to Ambrr, because Allix' death was so sudden, so traumatic, and she was the granddaughter my mom never had. To say the whole family adored her would be a complete understatement. When Allix was shot, my mother was screaming to her neighbor, Oh my God! She's been shot! She's DEAD! Screaming. Her neighbor was trying to get her to respond, asking, Who Pat? Karen was shot??? That's just a touch of how badly we all took Allix' death. (As mom was dying, I went to Allix' grave and pleaded with her to meet grandma at the Bridge)

AmbrrNanaDog is now thought by what is left of my family to be the PERFECT dog and everyone adores her.

Sasha's time will come, let your Xena tears flow. I think things are progressing as I would have expected. Your guilt, your feelings of betrayal, yep, went through the whole thing myself. Now the AmbrrNanaDog is mooing at the door, gotta let her out. She is the QUEEN of crittersville. There would not have been a crittersville without her. Alllix was all I ever needed. Ambrr opened the door for the others, for rescue, for rehab.

Let your tears flow. It's part of the journey.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

OK I did it also.
I adopted this abused street doggie from the shelter yesterday.
he is 5 mo old VERY easily strartled.
He is hanging on my feet as I walk tru the house, noises scare him away.
I turned the TV on yesterday and he BOLTED!
When I went to sit on the floor he came to me, I left the TV on so he can get used to that.
He was inseparable from his sister who was also adopted at the very same minute. I bought a stand- in - sister toy which he does occasionally roll around with.He is NOT housetrained, I have been walking him on a leash in my yard numerous times, nothing came out, ofcourse he peed all of it on my rug.
I hope he will learn soon, I never had to teach Mickey a thing so yes I am comparing already....
Attachments
new doggie.jpg
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Awww.....what a sweet puppy. I know this is big for you. He'll settle in and so will you. He needs you and I know you need him. Mickey will help show him the ropes. What's his name??
?/1999 - 10/25/08
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

I love names ending in "ie' or "y" so we went over a zillion.
My husband had to go on a trip the day I brought him home, with help from my neighbor he got home yesterday.
A friend came over and he said Snoopy and the dog reacted on that.
I called him this morning by that name and it looked like he listens to that.

let all beings be happy
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Oh, he looks so adorable and sweet. Makes me want to pick him up and hug him, bless his heart. You can see in his eyes that he's been through some tough times for one so young. I'm a little sad looking at him because he reminds me so much of a little puppy I picked up a few months back. He was wandering around a parking lot outside a small strip center where I had gone to cash a check. When I came out he came straight to me and "asked for help". Only thing was, he was very, very sick. Poor baby had advanced distemper and only had a week left in him. But I made sure it was the best week of his life. I held him very close every day and night until I finally had to make the call...he was beginning to suffer. I've never experienced distemper before, but it's absolutely horrible. I've made it a mission to educate as many of my patients who live on that side of town how important puppy shots are. I'll attach a photo of him. Looking at Snoopy reminds me so much of my little Braveheart (I named him Braveheart for his courage) except for the color difference.
My little Braveheart sleeping, when he could still sleep peacefully.
My little Braveheart sleeping, when he could still sleep peacefully.
I bet Snoopy will turn out to be the most loving dog you've ever known. He just has that look that says "if you'll love me and care for me, I'm yours forever."
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"

OMG! JUMPING UP AND DOWN! This is Mickey's Legacy! OMG!!!

Your boy has been traumatized and will have some issues. I can only suggest taking his terror away by the two of you just sitting quietly on the floor and whispering. Camp out in front of the television, some pupcorn and popcorn and let him catch his breath and calmmmmmm ... calllmmmmmmm....

He's got the NannerDog's airplane ears. They will either go up or down but I LOVE them ears!
He is precious! Name???? Will it be Snoopy? I LOVE Snoopy! OMG! JUMPING UP AND DOWN!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

oh guys thank you all so much, "airplane ears" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
today I am going to teach him SIT and not jump on me.
The progress I made last night was to pee on the same spot in the yard.
Now the poop on the carpet at 3 am issue.............................LOL

let all beings be happy
connie

Post by connie »

aww how happy i am for you, such a beauty. that made my heart smile. and poop on carpet at 3 am? what is that compared to such love? lol. but i know the feelings, cricket doesn't know when he has to poop, always a surprize if i don't use poop on demand. lol. take care, hug the new baby from us.
hugs and doggie slurps,
connie and cricket
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

ok one more LOL
Attachments
MVC-002S.JPG

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Awwww....he's saying "I really, reallly, reallly am trying to be good, honest!!)
?/1999 - 10/25/08
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

he already can sit! quick! I only asked him twice LOL
Sorry I took over this post actually.

let all beings be happy

His earnest face has me in tears, puremutt. He wants to trust, he has fears, his life has been a complete horror and he thinks he may have found his Heaven. He wants to trust. You can SEE the earnestness in his heart. It is right there in his eyes.

He found you, puremutt. They do. They FIND us! This little boy so deserves the very best life has to offer and found himself in a cage with no human contact, no love, nothing but the bleakest of futures. He has really had the worst of starts but he FOUND YOU. YOU SAVED HIS LIFE! His life forward will be the best life has to offer and he really doesn't know that tomorrow won't find him in a cage again. He never deserved this. His wanting to trust you is so painfully evident in his expression, I have tears.

Dogs suffer the worst degredations and they FORGIVE and they LOVE and devote their lives to tryin to be all that we want them to be. That is the saddest part of the shelter dogs. THEY DON'T DESERVE to end up in a cage with no contact. Your Snoopy found you and he will have the best life has to offer. He really has no idea how wonderful life will be. He can only expect to end up in a cage again. His earnest face is just beyond painful for those who don't find their Heavens.

He adores you, puremutt, and wants to be everything you want him to be. You need to start his own thread and we can share his life!

Thank you for saving this precous life! Believe this: He WILL return the favor! One hundredfold. Your life will be so enriched. He is my AmbrrNanaDog, a kill shelter pup whose future was a needle with little human contact. Your Snoopy is your life, your future. He will be your heart's delight and mine as well :) Ambrr, we guessed, was born January 1, 2000 the new millenium. I adopted her on St Valentine's day, 10 days after Allix succumbed to the gunshot. I cherish these dates beyond description. Make your memories and celebrations now.

Oh, and btw, we can split these threads onto your own, if you would like.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!