not sure what to do now

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: not sure what to do now

Post by Bendy Kitty »

puremutt wrote:excuse my ignorance , what does PTS mean :shock:
also can you tell us what arrangments you made for unadoptables? these might be good tips were getting into now.
it means put to sleep.

this is somethign mom has often thought about with us.
even the 'what if I'm in a car accident and hospitalized, who will take care of my kids?'

we're lucky to have the rescue we work with, and folks there that will help. Mimosa would most likely be put to sleep, she is severely brain damaged and it seems no one else is willing to care for her. The main rescue coordinator person will be cat sitting her while mom is gone over t-day, we'll see how that goes. mom's favorite vet cat sat her once and said never again, she coudln't handle Mimosa's strange constant grumblng and fits of hollering when she was upset. Mom wants to get some of the usb-data collars for us so our info can be on them. but the rescue folks have said they would take us, somehow.
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

I think this is a common worry among all of us. Even though I've made arrangements, I still worry. I'd considered adding PTS instructions to my will for quite a few of my babies that are so handicapped, or need constant medical attention. But fortunately my new husband said not to worry. He, with the help of my sister, will take care of them.

However, I did set up a plan with my sister should my husband & I go at the same time. If my sister survives me (we're identical twins, so who knows) she'll take over completely with the help of her hubby-to-be. He loves animals as much as we do and is the process of starting his own rescue sanctuary for cats/dogs near his home in Scotland. After that one is finished he will set one up here in Texas. For years now, he's been adopting the horribly abused animal cases televised on the news in Great Britain. They both said they will do whatever is necessary to care for my little ones.

I definitely agree with GabrielBlindDeafPupFamily about doing something now to ensure their future and ease your mind. Talk with relatives, friends, sanctuaries, vets, etc. and find people who'll help and if you can set up some kind of financial plan to ensure their care it'll be even easier. A term life insurance policy with them as beneficiaries with a designated caretaker, a trust fund, or even a savings account. Anything will help. You'll have to guesstimate how much they'll need per month over how many years, etc. It all depends on who you entrust their care to and where they will live. Then it needs to be put in a will, or something legal. You could research the net on how to write your own will, and make sure your a trustworthy friend or family member has a copy. My second husband was an attorney so I learned there's a lot we can do ourselves if you just look up the laws, rules as per your state, country. I think I'll spend some time and see what I can find. I think this is a very important subject that needs more investigation. Is there a place on this forum where it's already been addressed?
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
tessa

Post by tessa »

liz and i were nearly killed together four years ago when lightning struck the tent we were sleeping in.
fortunately...we both survived the ordeal and were out of the hospital after just one day. but since then, i did always worry about xena that way.
not that i was afraid of what would happen to her. liz's mum would have cared for her, i'm sure.
but i worried what xena would think....us never coming home again.

she's been gone just over 5 weeks now.
it's the longest i have been without her since i met her.
finally...she came to me in a dream last night. she was lying in the hallway crying. i heard her...and when i checked up on her...i found her with her collar pulled up her neck and over one ear. she was in obvious discomfort.
then i realized, on a conscious level, that it wasn't real and she was dead.
and i woke up.
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

I'm not big into dream interpretations, but it could be you were actually dreaming about yourself with Xena symbolizing your pain and crying. You still feel "uncomfortable" with your present situation, the empty house, Xena gone, that could be represented with the discomfort of the collar up around the ear. That may also symbolize the quiet, not hearing her around. Waking up after realizing that she really is gone may symbolize that your mind and body are finally accepting that she really is physically gone. And seeing the collar could also mean that although her body is gone, her spirit remains in the things she touched and things that touched her - like her collar, and that's something you can keep forever. It was her.

If this sounds far fetched, just take it with a grain of salt and forgive me for intruding. :blush:
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd like for my monsters to go to Tabby's Place if something happens to me, but it's $15K each to go.
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Critters, I don't know how many "monsters" you have, but there are some fairly inexpensive term life insurance policies that would most likely allow stipulations for long term care at Tabby's Place. I don't know if you're strapped financially or physically, but a lot of them don't even require medical exams and have really low premiums for even as much as 100K.

How many little "monsters" do you have right now? :idea:

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm, haven't counted lately--Jojo and Jazzy died, and Cheddar-the-baby-show-up showed up. :D I think I'd want $250K to be sure; they might need extra bribes to take mine.
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

I hear that Critters! It'd probably take a half mil minimum to convince anyone to take mine. :roll: Course, on the flip side, they'd have to pass the super duper mom inspection.

What kind of monsters do you have? I'd love to hear about them. :D

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

At the moment they're all kitty monsters (except the ancient MamaCat; she's NO monster). Most are disfigured or disabled, with Koi and Ari counting as severely disabled.
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

You're such a good person, as are all of you on this forum. I've had a lot of babies with handicaps and illnesses. I've had some kitties w/ slight deformities before like a clubbed paw, or one that I adopted that the neighborhood lovingly called BrokenButt. I think he'd been hit by a car, and healed awkwardly. But he got along beautifully. Now, my Trooper is paralyzed (back half, except he can pee and poop on his own), but he's not deformed.

God bless you, you are truly an angel. :angel:

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Thanks!
tessa

Post by tessa »

two months without xena.
still can't think about her without bawling.
*sigh*
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

no it's a long road ahead. try to think of the good times. Mickey is in my thoughts every single day, no every single minute!
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Tessa, I thought about you yesterday and was going to write, but thought about not wanting to upset you. It has been one year and one week without my Bailey and I still cry for her. I think that as time goes by, there will be more smiles at our memories to temper the emptiness, but their absence is a such a void to fill. Thinking of you and sending prayers for peace and a hug.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Our poor old needy sweeties, hopefully they found each other, telling stories of 'them' weird diapers we put on them :lol:
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy