arkansas winter storm arrived, yikes!!

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
connie

arkansas winter storm arrived, yikes!!

Post by connie »

well pals, the storm came into arkansas with a bang last night late. woke up to ice pouring out sky, roads covered, , came down all day. NOW we are having heavy snow pour in, been snowing for 3 hours. they say we could have 6 to 12 inches in places. i had to leave my home at 4 am to work, going house to house, what a nightmare. police dept: ( who i called) advised me to stay put) but my elderly clients HAD to be seen too, my own 86 yr old mom had to be cared for also. so off i drove, i think the fastest i went was 10 mpr.only 3 or 4 aides worked. my part time job called asking me over and over to do other girls clients, but only so many hours in a day and i am sooooooo tired.cold to the bone too. lol.
i have to work all weekend and i dread what i will wake up to in the morning. i do know other states have it rougher than arkansas, but gee, just not used to it here. lol. ok puremutt, cricket and i are dreaming of florida lol. no schools, no city depts: open all over town, this small town only has 5 workers to keep streets passable, so roads are bad.
ok have i whined enough yet? lol.
my boy is happy, he does not have to potty outside, being expressed in bathroom is just fine with him. so that is one PLUS to being disabled right? he hates cold and rain and snow. i took him on the carport and nope he didn't like it at all, howled till he got back inside. lol. such a baby he is. when he got back inside he pulled his baby blanket over himself. lol
so weather stories time gals, what is it like in your neck of the woods?,( as we say down south) lol.
one GREAT thing, we still have electricity, knock on wood, ( praying). it is to cold and bad to be without power and on news, so many are out.
take care pals, hug all furkids from us and stay warm and dry . will report in tomorrow ( from the artic circle in arkansas) lol
we send hugs and doggie kisses( dog slopper is from cricket not me) lol
connie & cricket

lol
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: arkansas winter storm arrived, yikes!!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Yikes is RIGHT! Geezle pete! Watching the storm as it it headed to NC (with a touch in SC) and the freezing temps make bathing in cold water a complete ... well ... you know. Thinkin of you and hoping you don't lose power. THAT makes it unbearable.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh Connie....bless your heart! When we lived in North Carolina, my husband was adamant about keeping a sleeping bag, water, food and extra clothes in our van, expecially during this kind of weather. Some cat litter or sand and a board for traction would be a good idea too. How about your cell phone and a flash light with extra batteries? Be careful out there!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

It's here now. We'll have a high of, like, 20, with the wind blowing, and 10 inches of snow.
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

Connie you be careful out there and take Christine's advise and stock up your car for a "just in case!" Add a couple of small candles and a can to burn it in; the heat from the candle will keep you warm if the car becomes stuck and stranded out on the road. You just tent the blanket around yourself and the candle.

Up here in the north we've had a week or so of just above freezing - our yearly January thaw; it poured rain and then freezing rain for a few days. But now we are plunged back into the deep freeze. It's minus 30 degrees celsius! Frostbite to any exposed skin in minutes! Although today, it is incredibly sunny, but we know don't be deceived, there ain't no warmth in that sun!
Stay warm my friends.
Jane
Harley the "Monkey-boy"
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

You asked... and you'll wish you hadn't...

Yesterday was about 63 and partly sunny. Today looks to be more of the same although we did have an overnight shower. Candy has rally class on Sunday so I hope no more rain- hard for those wheels to get through if the ground is soft.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
connie

Post by connie »

ok pals, made it home from work by the skin of my teeth. called police at 4 am, was told to stay home, but it was a had to case. my elderly needed food from store and mom had to be taken care of. but what a nightmare, got stuck once, 2 men pushed me out. small ditch once, men came to my rescue again. we are not used to this much at all. all roads are dangerous here. i never was so glad to see my driveway in my life. lol. was so cold and feet so wet. but i made it, that's all that matters. now tomorrow i don't know, we're expecting more snow. we have broken a record here.
cricket still won't stick his nose out the door, least of all his wee wee. lol. mmmmm, might have to buy him a kids potty chair? lol.
all he wants to do is eat and curl up in his baby blanket, smart dog huh? lol
hope your all doing better , isn't spring coming soon? i will never complain about heat again. lol
take care and will let ya know how rest of weekend goes. give fur kids hugs and you all stay warm and healthy. thanks for all the great advise, i try to heed it all, but this is a very small town, always someone to help if your in a jam in a car.
but traffic today was hardly none, never even saw a police car. lol
chat tomorrow, hugsssss from cold wet, snowy , frigid arkansas.
connie and cricket
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Oh, connie & cricket, pack up your whole family and move down here by me! We're 32 this morning, but the threat of ice remains to be seen. Still dark out.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Christine

Post by Christine »

Connie, is there any organization in your town - even the fire department that might help look in on the shut-ins and especially ones who depend on you and other visiting caretakers for their food and medicine? I am wondering if someone with the right vehicle to navigate the weather would take you around? I thought of another item for you emergency kit - a whistle to let people know you need help.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
connie

Post by connie »

ok pals,
weekend is over, my work is done. lol. made it ok today, no wind blowing so even tho it is cold it doesn't seem like it. got 7 degrees last night, 16 right now, but sun is shining and it is melting. didn't get more snow last night so that is a blessing, didn't lose power, better blessing. no christine, no org. for elderly here, but small town, neighbor helps neighbors here. so many helped each other. police pulled up to me this morning, told me not to worry , they was watching out for me. lol
i think i might be the only aide out this weekend, didn't see any others. but i had to get out to take care of my mother, so few more didn't hurt me. besides raising my sister's son and car being fixed, i needed the extra money.
this weekend company treats their employee's very well. last week, the owner sent me an extra 100 dollar bonus for walking when car broke down. my full time job employer is a scrooge. lol
anyways, like i said, so many states worse off than mine. no deaths in my town this year, last year we lost our police chief when a tree limb fell and hit him. in fact, this time last year. so we are lucky.
i hope you all had better winter.
cricekt is fine, happy as can be. has his toys, his food, his blanket, mommy to cuddle with, what more could he ask for? lol
i am so blessed, he is so healthy and happy, runs and plays all day. to me he is more than normal.
well, i am making a big pot of veggie soup, going to run hot bubble bath, and relax while i can. tomorrow i start out at 4 am.
take care everyone, stay warm, cricket and sending you all warm hugs and smiles,
hug all the furkids from us here,
connie and cricket
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

6" of bootiful fluffy snow here
mom hasn't gotten dressed in two days
lots of snugglin kitties
heaping wood into the woodstove to keep warm, sub freezing temps for 2 days in a row is wierd in NC!!
this town actually has a snowplow or two so the roads aren't too bad, getting out of the driveway tues am will be the trickiest part but hopefully by then things will be a bit better.
the dog is very glad she knows how to use a litterbox, she steppd outside and said no thanks!!!!!

mom says its good to work at home.
she is supposed to be working now, not letting me play on the internet!

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It's been in the 30's here. I keep wondering how Friend2Dogs's doing. They were getting it bad in Oklahoma, too.