New additions to family

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
troopersmommy

New additions to family

Post by troopersmommy »

Just wanted to catch up with everyone and apologize for being absent the last month or so. After rescuing Trooper (my paraplegic kittycat), I figured "no more" additions to our furbaby family, what with our age and the amount of time and money it takes to care for all of them.

Why I thought that, I don't know. :cuckoo:

That I could even think of turning a blind eye to any little one in need is absolutely absurd. So, I just wanted to let y'all know that I have 2 new additions to the family, and that if I get any free time now it will most likely be spent sleeping. :snooze: Whoever coined the phrase "dog tired" really hit it on the head!

We have a new gray calico kitty named Coe, rescued from a "close encounter with the dog/cat catcher" at work, who after spending a day at the vet for spaying, etc. has settled in quite nicely as Trooper's "girlfriend". (Boy is he happy!) The day I was to bring Coe home I spent the whole morning trying to figure out what to say to John to "save my marriage" because, once again, I had broken the "NO MORE ANIMALS" rule. As luck would have it, John was in the same boat. He beat me to the punch and sent a text when he left for work simply stating "Attention: DOGS. We now have a Sharpei puppy in the Patio yard (our big back yard is divided into 4 dog areas) with Spike and Penny." Whew!

He is a chocolate Sharpei puppy (about 2 months old) we aptly named Melvin Moto Moto. He was wandering around our neighborhood when my husband grabbed him just as he was about to become "road kill". I've checked the paper, posters, vets, etc. but apparently no one is looking for him. Hard to believe because he's so ADORABLE! He gets to have his first checkup next Friday when Coe has her stitches removed. We had to add Moto Moto to his name because after eating his meals he looks like a fat hippopotamus. (And of course my favorite movie is "Madagascar 2".) He a handful though. Fortunately, after having to keep him out back because he chewed everything in sight in my house, including all the puppy pads for my indoor babies, my rotty/lab Spike took to him like Father Goose - they eat, play and sleep together. I'll try to post a pic of him if he'll hold still long enough.
:bounce:
Well, that's all for now. I don't dare disclose how many I have now in our "family" but my husband's joke about buying an additional house just to make room for us is beginning to seem like a pretty good idea. Haha! :hysterical:
Melvin Moto Moto
Melvin Moto Moto
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
critters
Founding Member

Re: New additions to family

Post by critters »

Aww! :hearts: Sounds like you and hubby are made for each other; neither of y'all would probably be happy if the "rules" were rigidly enforced, not to mention your furkids! :mrgreen:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

what a CUTIE PIE! MotoMoto! Melvin MotoMoto! LOVE IT!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Christine

Post by Christine »

Love the little wrinkly babies!!! He is adorable...hard to believe he was out wandering around and so little. Thank goodness your husband was there. You two are good people!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Thanks everyone!
:thankyou:

I forgot how much fun a puppy can be. I find myself stopping every hour or so to play with him, squeeze him, cuddle him. He and Coe are the first healthy animals we've rescued in quite a while.

Coe shies from the camera, but Melvin loves the attention. I'm keeping it by the back door to catch him "being a puppy". I'll have to post some more photos. :lol:
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"

troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Okay, okay, I know I'm like a proud mom with a new baby. I keep grabbing the camera, but I promise I'll only post 2 more photos of my Melvin Moto Moto (unless of course, I get requests for more...haha... :lol: )

Take a look...he's just too cute.

:yay:
Check out that belly!  <br />Hence, the name Melvin &quot;Moto Moto&quot;
Check out that belly!
Hence, the name Melvin "Moto Moto"
big foot.JPG

Fat cuddly little puppies! THAT is my idea of Heaven! You have Heaven right in your own home! :wub: :wub:

Speaking of fat bellies, you have wormed him, right? :) :) Street puppies will have them some worms!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Oh, yes! Worms are a constant source of aggravation around here what with the fleas we've been having. Kitties with tapeworms and puppies/dogs with round worms. I have a "medicine cabinet" that won't quit. Fortunately, his fat belly is from his love of eating, he's a little piglet. He even grunts when he's chowing down. Wish I could do a video of him. Maybe I can get something on YouTube. haha :lol:

tessa

Post by tessa »

oh he's a adorable!
gosh...i cannot imagine having another animal in the house at this time with just the one puppy!
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Hi Tessa!

It's definitely not easy. For the longest time I only had kitties in the house with my dog bears outside (after my Manny left his earth life). But when John moved in with me 5+ years ago, we rescued Cookie, our little MinPinDachsy, and have been adding ever since, up to the current 4 little dogs inside. I thought Melvin would be inside for a while, but he's growing leaps and bounds as he eats everything in sight. Two weeks ago he only weighed about 20 lbs, now he's up to 35 lbs. He's grown in size as well, so he's an outdoor doggie now (he loves eating furniture, rugs, etc....haha) and loves it. I'll post some more pictures soon.

How's your puppy? Any new photos to see? I'd love to hear about your baby. :dancing:

TroopersMum - Pam

troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Proud mamma has new photos to share. Hope you enjoy them.

Troopersmommy, Pam :wub:
My Pretty CoeCoCo, my newest kitty
My Pretty CoeCoCo, my newest kitty
Here's Melvin the Adorable, newest puppy
Here's Melvin the Adorable, newest puppy
Spike hiding from Melvin.  Spike was the new guy until Melvin came along.
Spike hiding from Melvin. Spike was the new guy until Melvin came along.
Last edited by troopersmommy on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Oh, I forgot to add a collage I did of all the back yard doggies. Oh, and those are fences separating areas between dogs, not cages. I'm too short to get the photos over the fence.
my doggie collage
my doggie collage

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

OH My Gawd!!
You just keep posting pictures of Melvin because I think I am in love lol. :D
Congrats on the new fat furballs!

They are better than human beings-because they know- but do not tell.
--- Emily Dickinson
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Okey dokey. Here are a couple of photos of Melvin. He's growing so fast, I can't pick him up anymore. He's such a wiggle worm. He's lost his "puppy fat" and is beginning to look more doggie-like. But he still acts like a puppy. My poor little dogs don't know how to handle him, or vice versa. A couple of days I heard some "yapping" and looked out just in time to see Melvin pick up Cheecho ("my teeney-weeney" Chowhuahua) by his curly little "chow" tail. It was hysterical to me, although Cheecho wasn't too happy about it. He was letting Melvin know just how he felt, so I had to intervene and become "Mighty Mom" to save the day. Hahaha. :hysterical:
Melvin and daddy
Melvin and daddy
Most of the photos are fuzzy cause he won't hold still.  LOL
Most of the photos are fuzzy cause he won't hold still. LOL
I can't get him to keep his room clean.  What a little piggie.
I can't get him to keep his room clean. What a little piggie.

Love your baby boy! :wub:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!