Snuggle Safe Warning!!

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Christine

Re: Snuggle Safe Warning!!

Post by Christine »

Unfortunately, adding more cases of problems with the Snuggle Safe. Please share this thread during this cold weather.
1.0 out of 5 stars Danger to pets and people, November 6, 2012
By meaganv - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Pet Supply Imports SnuggleSafe Pet Heating Pad (Misc.)
Manufacturer does not back this product. I complained that after one use liquid shot out and burnt my hand. I was told that only happens when the animals chew on the ends or when its warmed up too long. They were not surprised. Would not issue a refund but offered to replace the disc with a new one. No thanks. This disk is snuggle unsafe. Not worth the risk.
1.0 out of 5 stars defective, January 13, 2012
By Patricia Adamsmessina "Chatypaty" (Md) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME) Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Pet Supply Imports SnuggleSafe Pet Heating Pad (Misc.)
I have had these for years and so far they all worked great.. I however ordered from Amazon about two wks ago.. I paid for two day shipping and it took five days to get it .. then the second time I heated it .. it burst.. now I do know how to work these things , like I said before.. I have had them and used them for outdoor animals for years.. I am so upset over this.. of course I dont know who to contact on amazon to complain to.. I threw it away and am now using an old one.. I will re order but not from Amazon .. and I intend to fight the shipping charges with my credit card company.. good luck ..u are going to need it
https://web.archive.org/web/20230117023 ... B00008AJH9
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

I shared it on my FB page.

its sad the company is so blasee about these problems!
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Chiming in with my annual warning about the Snuggle Safe. If you have the time, share this link on your Facebook. I cannot believe these are still on the market.

Sadly, many people still think they are safe and those of us who had problems did not follow directions.

Stay warm everyone...safely....without Snuggle Safe.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
cb2b

Post by cb2b »

In a post on this thread 3 years ago I wrote, "I hope this thread does not scare folks away from Snuggle Safes."

I've since changed my mind.

I hope that this thread scares Snuggle Safe owners far and wide, and that they decide to rid themselves of the scourge by sending them all directly to me.

I've used Snuggle Safes for over a decade. They have provided - without exaggeration - tens of thousands of person- and pet-hours of comfort in my household. I feel comfortable evaluating the integrity and thermodynamic condition of a Snuggle Safe, and managing the risks inherent in using a powerful household microwave to heat a piece of plastic filled with a phase-change material. I understand that may not be the case for everyone, and that's OK. Different strokes for different folks.

If you have a Snuggle Safe and don't feel comfortable with it, please send it to me. I would love to have more. All will be used with great care to help your fellow creatures be more comfortable.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Careful!, January 13, 2009
By Carol Smith "cxg174" (PA) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Snuggle Safe Pet Bed Microwave Heating Pad (Misc.)

My cat would never lay on this pad even under a soft cushion. He lays in a chair, so I put it against the back. Even with a cover on it I accidentally burned his back. It is hotter than it seems so cover it well and do not make the mistake that I did by assuming that buying a cover for it is enough protection. He still likes it, but I am more careful now.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230117025 ... B00008AJH9
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Disappointed, November 24, 2013
By Mssmith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snuggle Safe Pet Bed Microwave Heating Pad (Misc.)
I bought this for my cat. Used it only 3 times and the third time I microwaved it on 9 seconds and it fell apart! Disappointed
https://web.archive.org/web/20230118022 ... B00008AJH9
A little sad!, May 24, 2011
By Rebecca Wilson - See all my reviews
After reading all of the great reviews I bought two of these for my bottle fed kittens. I am upset because after only a month of using them, one of them started leaking and I had to throw it away. My microwave wattage is 1250, and I never heated the warmer up for more than 3 minutes, and (as the directions say) heating it only when it was cold! I bought 2 so I could always have a "cold" one to heat up when the warm one started cooling down.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230118022 ... B00008AJH9

from amazon.co.uk
Faulty and dangerous - manufacturer doesn't want to know! 8 Jan 2012
By Kelman
This review is from: SnuggleSafe Microwave Wireless Heatpad with Fleece Cover (colour may vary) (Misc.)
Product worked very well, stayed warm for a good 8 hours when heated correctly. Supplied cover was a bit thin but soft enough, my pup loved it.

After about 4 uses, i left it in his bed overnight and woke to find the liquid contents had spilled/melted onto his bed. The source was from the seal on the side. There were no bite marks (my dog isn't much of a chewer), and the heat pad had never been damaged. As the content is liquid, i would hate to imagine what pain this molten silicone or whatever could have inflicted on an animal's skin. It has certainly ruined the dog's bed and the fleecy blanket!

After sending it back to the manufacturer, they state that my dog MUST have chewed it. I don't know how they came to that conclusion as I have dated photographs clearly showing an absence of bite marks/damage!!! and no refund/damages is forthcoming!
https://web.archive.org/web/20230118021 ... B0014LJKUA#
sparks a'flying in my microwave!, 26 April 2013
By Rach - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: SnuggleSafe Microwave Wireless Heatpad with Fleece Cover (colour may vary) (Misc.)
My microwave really didnt like this, there were sparks flying! Seems very dangerous, would not recommend. It is also very very heavy.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230118020 ... B0014LJKUA
Leaked into my microwave, 26 Sep 2012
By Phloe (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Do NOT buy this. When I placed it in the microwave oven for the first tme and set it to 'quick start' as the instructions said, all the liquid in the heatpad leaked out. When I opened the microwave oven, the fluid just spilled out really quickly all over my floor and table and it was really thick and viscous so I couldn't even wipe it up. I let it dry and it turned into a hard waxy substance which took me hours to scrape off the kitchen floor and counter. And it left a huge powerdery mess. I wasted £15 and I had to get a new microwave oven. It's not worth the risk of potential damage to your microwave.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230118021 ... B0014LJKUA
Snugglesafe microwave heating device, 11 Mar 2013
By Jenty and Duncan Munro - See all my reviews
See my emails to you. Device caught fire,destroying catbox,blanket and device,almost the cat also. Had this been used indoors,the house would have been ablaze
https://web.archive.org/web/20230116185 ... B0014LJKUA
Not a happy bunny, 23 Oct 2013
By lucy and snowball - See all my reviews
I bought two of these as i have a large outdoor hutch and the winter nights are creeping in worked well at the start and then on approx 4/5 night i took this out them out of the microwave to discover the seal had come apart and what looked like liquid candle wax was spilling all over the place - was really glad i noticed it when i did as i would hate to think of this sticking to fur and the damage it would cause

looked at the guarantee and i am out with my refund period but very unhappy as this is clearly not fit for purpose
hope this helps you decide

regards
https://web.archive.org/web/20230118021 ... B0014LJKUA
Not great, 29 Nov 2012
By Midsummer "danuta" - See all my reviews
I had to return this item as I took it out of the microwave and it scalded me (I made sure the microwave was set to the recommended power) The pad is also rock hard, which can't make for a very comfortable night's sleep.
https://web.archive.org/web/20230118022 ... B0014LJKUA
does the job but not so safe., 29 Oct 2012
By kimmie89 - See all my reviews
Got this snuggle disk for my pet Pygmy Hedgehog. was really impressed with the price because there about 22-25 quid in the shops. At first i was really impressed! After microwaved it lasted about 9 hours so really good. But after about 2 uses everytime i microwave it for the recomended time the plastic goes soft and bubbles in areas which makes it Alot hotter in some places than others until it hardens up again. I found this very unsafe and have am looking into buying a new one after only a few weeks!
https://web.archive.org/web/20230118022 ... B0014LJKUA#
?/1999 - 10/25/08
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

they do seem to be losing popularity, i don't see them for sale nearly so much and i don't hear people talk about them or recommend them so much
still VERY lax of the company not to even get back to you!
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks to education from "someone we all know and love", I get notifications from Google anytime these words are "spoken" and you can bet I will be there to add my two cents.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

bump
SandyandPebbles

Post by SandyandPebbles »

Wow! Thanks for the warning! I have one of these snuggle warmers from Amazon and have only used it a few times without incident. Recently I noticed that the item came out a little dented. I didn't worry about that so much but then today I heated the item and then went back and reheated the item and then I remembered I wasn't supposed to add minutes unto the heating cycle. Anyway I went back to Amazon to read the instructions again and came across your review, I then went and read all the reviews concerning leakage, burning and fire. I went outside and removed the warmer from the outdoor cat house, its a cedar wood home for my feral adopted cat and its filled with wheat straw. Its really cold outside but all I could imagine is the bloody thing causing a fire and the wheat going up in flames and then the cat house and then my own home. Needless to say I have the bloody thing in the sink in case it leaks or something.

Please can you tell me what is the alternative to the warmer? I'm too freaked out to use the one I have and am not sure what I should purchase. I don't know maybe I'm just paranoid but there was no way I could go to sleep knowing it was outside with the cat and the wheat straw.

Thank you
Christine

Post by Christine »

I received notification of this post months after it appeared, but here it is to sadly add yet another example of the danger of this product. I posted a comment on her review linking back to to this thread.

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGEROUS! NEARLY CAUSED A FIRE, LEAKED & TOXIC FUMES - DID NOT OVERHEAT!!!!!!, 13 Feb. 2015

By Emily

MY HOUSE NEARLY CAUGHT ON FIRE TONIGHT WITH THIS DISC! I heated it up as per instructions (as you can see, I am not a 'new user' so know how to use it) and I placed it under the cats bed. I woke up and the whole of my house smelt like toxic burning plastic fumes. I thought at first it was electrical then I lifted up the cat bed and the pink plastic cover has melted, the gel inside has warped and the cat bed it was on has burnt and melted. It also sparked as there was plastic charcoal. We are fostering a stray unwell cat and the gel could have burnt her really badly, we nearly had a house fire plus the whole house smells like toxic plastic. This is shocking. I have such a bad chest from the fumes. Someone was watching over us as we had a close escape tonight. Even the paw print cover has melted! How can you call this 'snugglesafe'? I will have to take my cats to the vets to see if she is OK as she has a bad chest and has inhaled toxic fumes in a closed room. I didn't know as I was asleep. Thank goodness I woke up!quote]

[quote][/Emily says:

I reported this issue and the company failed to respond. Amazon tried to fob me off with emails to say they are investigating and nothing came of it. They take no accountability for the damage caused to my house and the fact my house nearly caught on fire! I am seeking legal action. quote]
Attachments
snugglesafe2.jpg
snuggle safe1.jpg
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

raiders mom wrote:My friend made us some rice bags to use as foot warmers.They are just towels sewn into a bag with raw rice inside, you microwave for 2 min and they stay warm for quite a while.(Raider's Mom)
I don't know anything about the rice bags, but I just saw a 2013 video about possible dangers with wheat bags, which are suspected in some fatalities. It reminded me of this discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V-DHLCE3sQ
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thanks to Carol, here is another incident with the Snuggle Safe discs with no support from the company. I am over being amazed that they do not want to own up, improve or stop making them, but I am still amazed at the reactions of many of the consumers finding blame with those of us trying to inform them of the danger.

Customer Review

1.0 out of 5 stars
This product is not safe
Byshadowlight79on December 12, 2015

Verified Purchase

This product is not safe. I purchased 2 of these items at the same time for my outdoor animals because it was supposed to be safer than using a heating pad or heating lamp that plugs in. Both of my microwaves are 650 watts and according to the instructions it is to only be heated for 8 minutes. The first microwave disk we put in the microwave without the fleece cover. It was only in the microwave for 5 minutes and it literally exploded with burning hot liquid and the pink plastic disk melted to the bottom of the microwave. It made the microwave spark and it set off the smoke alarms. I had to open the microwave to stop the potential fire as the explosion of liquid apparently shorted out my microwave. All of the hot liquid of course came pouring out and splattered all over me and the stove below. I got burned. I had to use a spatula to remove the pink disk and a litany of paper towels and a putty knife to clean the liquid off of everything. And mind you when the "liquid" cools it turns into a hard gel that has to be scrapped off of everything. I tooks pics. It melted through the garbage can, stunk up the house, ruined the microwave and stove top. I contacted the manufacturer via email and they never responded. They are located in England by the way. I flagged the emails so I know they read them. After a week I sucked it up, paid a fortune to call them, and called them and told them what happened. First they said I must've used it wrong. They said I must have put it in for too long. I said no. Then they said well I must have reused it to soon and didn’t give it time to cool down. I said NO this was the FIRST time we have ever used it. Then they said something must've been wrong with my microwave. After some back and forth they said that perhaps the ONE item was defective because at the time I had purchased TWO and we were still using the other one with no issues YET. The manufacturer would do nothing to help replace the microwave or anything else that the disk damaged and they were less than friendly.
Two weeks later the second snuggle safe did the exact same thing the first one did. Literally same issue. The item was completely cool as we let 12 hours pass before reheating, due to being paranoid over what happened last time with the other disk.
It was only in the microwave for 4 minutes and per the instructions this microwave was safe to heat the item for 8 minutes. It didn't even make it that long. And just so you know, we were using a brand new microwave since the first one was completely destroyed by the other snuggle safe. The manufacturer did not respond via email so I called AGAIN. I was not treated very well. I was told that we must've over heated it or there was an issue with my microwave, etc. I explained to them well first off even if we were stupid and over heated it the first time (which we most certainly did not) we wouldn't be stupid enough to do it a SECOND TIME. And this was a new microwave. Both microwaves were not defective. The snuggle safe is defective. I went over everything that happened. I was hung up on.
The manufacturer or at least the lady that answered for them made no effort to correct this. They made no apologies for my destroyed microwaves, the burns from trying to clean the liquid and stop a fire from it shorting out the microwave, the nasty smell in the house, the hours of cleaning, melted garbage can, etc etc.
If you look at the pics you will see the disk flattens and has melted to the bottom of the microwave, and all that shiny stuff is the burning hot liquid dripping out all over the place. The dried up scaly stuff is what dripped all over the stove and as it dries it hardens and sticks and is BEYOND difficult to remove.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230116183 ... B00008AJH9
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Here we are 11 years later and Snuggle Safe is still on the market. Pet Co, Amazon, Chewy sells a different brand, Healthy Pets, Entirely Pets and Ebay all show up as retailers.

I will be sharing our discussion link again to them and on Facebook.

Thanks to Carole, I am receiving Google alerts whenever something with the words Snuggle Safe appears anywhere on line. My latest is in a guinea pig forum where people are considering them and asking for advice. I will be posting in there if allowed and if not, I will find a way to get that information to them.

We are looking at some harsh weather...please send this, share this and remind anyone you feel might need to know.

Blessings for the holiday and this new and hopefully, improved year coming up.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
FYI

SnuggleSafe caused horrific burns [graphic images]

Post by FYI »

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wirral-mum-suffers-horrific-burns-19248917 wrote:
Wirral mum suffers horrific burns after pet's heatpad melts in microwave

By Alan Weston
16:24, 9 NOV 2020

Warning: This article contains graphic injury images some readers may find upsetting
liverpoolecho

0_burns01.jpg

Birkenhead mum-of-one Stacey Wood's bandaged hand after she suffered horrific injuries from the burst micriowavable heat pad (Image: supplied)

A Wirral mum was left permanently scarred after boiling hot liquid from a burst microwavable heatpad leaked onto her hand.

Stacey Wood described the "horrific pain" she suffered after the heatpad - designed to keep pets warm in the winter - melted in the microwave and came into contact with her skin, leaving her with horrific injuries.

The Birkenhead mum-of-one bought the SnuggleSafe Microwave Wireless Heatpad so her daughter's pet rabbit stayed warm as the temperature began to drop in November 2017.

The product, which she bought via Amazon, is designed to be microwaved regularly and promises to offer pets warmth for up to 10 hours. It was advertised as suitable for small animals including rabbits.

But after using the pad for only the third time since purchasing, Stacey claims the filling inside melted and leaked out, causing it to damage her skin as she removed it from the microwave.

However, the manufacturer insists the product underwent extensive testing before being produced and is made to "exacting quality standards".

She underwent treatment for her burns at a specialist hospital but, three years later, Stacey is still suffering from the effects of the incident. She cannot fully straighten her right hand and experiences painful sensations.

Stacey, a full-time carer for her teenage daughter who suffers from rare genetic disorder Pitt-Hopkin's Syndrome, said: "We'd never bought one of these heatpads before but I'd heard how they can help keep pet rabbits keep warm in the winter so thought I'd give it a go.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here .

"I followed the instructions to the letter but when I picked it up out of the microwave, the boiling hot liquid inside seeped onto the palm of my hand – I hadn’t realised it had burst inside the microwave and the pain was horrific.

"I immediately ran it under a cold tap but it obvious that I needed medical attention, so I went to my local A&E who then referred me to a specialist burns unit.

0_burns02.jpg
Stacey Wood suffered horrific injuries after the microwavable heat pad burst (Image: supplied)

"My daughter requires 24-hour care due to her condition, so having such a severe injury and waiting for it to heal really impacted how much care I could give her."

Stacey claims she had followed the manufacturer's instructions, heating the pad for six minutes in line with her microwave wattage.

The mum-of-one instructed law firm Hampson Hughes to take action against the manufacturer and she was later awarded £7,500 in compensation.

However, SnuggleSafe denied liability, arguing that the product was not faulty and that Stacey had overheated the pad.

The company asked her to drop the case and accused her of "dishonesty" but, confident she had used the product correctly, Stacey pursued her case which was settled out of court in September this year.

0_burns03.jpg
Stacey Wood suffered severe burns after pet's microwavable heat pad melted and leaked (Image: supplied)

Now, Stacey is keen to raise awareness of the potential dangers surrounding products like heatpads for pets.

She added: "The company tried to argue that I'd done something wrong and had left it in too long, causing the pad to burst – but I knew that just wasn't the case.

"I now have lasting scars and I'm unable to straighten my hand without feeling pain. I also experience sensitivity when I come in to contact with certain surfaces, which is a constant reminder of the incident.

"It's extremely worrying to think about how much worse it could've been if a child had lifted the product from the microwave and I'd urge pet owners to think twice before purchasing one of these heatpads."

Nicholas Cowley, solicitor at Hampson Hughes Solicitors, said: "This was clearly a very traumatic experience for Stacey and one that could've been avoided had the product been suitable for use.

0_burns04.jpg
Mum-of-one Stacey Wood was left with permanent scars (Image: supplied)

"The manufacturer continued to deny liability until the eleventh hour, with a court trial scheduled to take place, but they agreed to settle out of court at the last minute.

"With the temperature beginning to fall and winter about to set in, a lot of pet owners will be considering buying a heatpad like the one that Stacey bought to keep their pets cosy.

"We'd advise people against buying but, if they need to, we'd urge them to check product reviews and do thorough research before making their purchase – Stacey is unfortunately proof that these products are not always safe."

What the manufacturers say

The manufacturers of SnuggleSafe were approached for comment. Here's what they said.

"Although we did sympathise with the insurance claimant's experience, we asked to look at the heatpad in question to allow us the time to fully investigate the matter, but was told that no heatpad was longer available for investigation.

"Also, Ms Woods' microwave oven was immediately disposed of and therefore, could not be inspected for a possible fault.

"The first contact we had with the claimant was with Ms Woods' lawyers. The only information we were given by the claimant's lawyers were pictures of Ms Woods' counter top, which showed it was considerably melted.

"If heated for the recommended time, the SnuggleSafe pad will have a maximum surface temperature of 65˚C and maintain its warmth for up to 10 hours.

"This is the normal operating temperature. It is a very specific temperature, as it has been safety tested (with certificates) in various microwave wattage sizes by Smithers RAPRA (ISO accredited lab). The heatpad casing is made of HDPP and will remain solid at this temperature. The normal operating temperature would not cause a counter top to melt.

"A temperature of at least 124˚C (or at least twice the recommended microwave heat time) would need to be achieved to melt the pad and leak the contents from its HDPP case. This is the start melting point of HDPP plastic we use.

"Our heatpad is SGS/ Smithers RAPRA tested (ISO accredited lab) and also batch tested for product conformance. It has been made in the UK for the last 20 years to the same exacting quality standards.

"The SnuggleSafe heatpad is used by many animal rescue/ care sanctuaries and veterinary centres for the safe wireless warmth it can give. Especially when animals need extra warmth, particularly during the winter time. The SnuggleSafe heatpad was used significantly to help give warmth to many stranded animals during Hurricane Katrina.

"We wanted to go to court and prove our case, but court cases were backlogged and changed many times due to Covid court time limitations. Out of court, the evidence was seen as inconclusive, but was settled in sympathy of the claimant's personal circumstances in good faith, without prejudice and as a 'gesture of goodwill.' This was quickly accepted by the claimant."