getting ready to be away for a week

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

getting ready to be away for a week

Post by Bendy Kitty »

going to visit my foster parents again. Dad has actually responded to teh phase I trial he was put on, amazing. his weight plateaued, and anyone who has cared for a cat with cancer knows that is a big deal!
so friday i take the train north again. Mom says mostly dad is very tired. the deans office had a nice commemerative dinner for him (he was dean of teh school of the arts & sciences at U of Pa for years in addition to being a physics professor).

at my last visit i had a heart to heart talk with them about how much i appreciated their taking me in, they didn't know much about what life was like in my birth home but they had known a little. i talked about strange it had been for me the first couple years with them, how terrified i had been in particular of him. after all, where i came from males older than me were dangerous. they are not particularly demonstrative people, but he gave the biggest hug ever.

i'm glad i can be tehre for them, although it is very hard.

so i will take teh chronic cats to Carol's house to care for and I have three different people to check on the rest of teh crew here, instructions taped on doors and walls saying who goes where and what they get.

Bendy has been sleeping draped across my head, his chin tucked under mine, his belly over the side of my face, his hind legs hanging sort of behind my ear. when i wake up and speak to him he contracts - like giving me a total fur hug. it is very cute. and a purr in that position is very effective!
now trying to get up..well, why would i want to do that?

thanks to everyone here for their support, too.

Sasha
aka
The Bendy Mom
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
janew

Re: getting ready to be away for a week

Post by janew »

Sasha, Thinking of you in this tough time, you are there for them...I know leaving your furred family is complicated & difficult.
Hope your time with them is very special.
jane
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I hope your dad is better and all the furry kids stay well while you are away.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Dad is terminal, he has pancreatic cancer, but we are hoping for as much quality time as possible.

thanks for the well wishes, they do mean a lot!

The Bendy Mom

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Bendy Kitty wrote:
Bendy has been sleeping draped across my head, his chin tucked under mine, his belly over the side of my face, his hind legs hanging sort of behind my ear. when i wake up and speak to him he contracts - like giving me a total fur hug. it is very cute. and a purr in that position is very effective!

m
Awwwww!!!! :wub: :hearts: Have a good trip!
janew

Post by janew »

How was your trip & hope your crew did well without YOU...
jane
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

the trip went well, thanks. Dad is doing much better than expected. he has more energy now, not sleeping as much. the CT and PET scans showed stable disease and he is gaining weight. far better than i'd hoped for.

the cats were a bit stressed, but no one died this time so that is good.
no one was even sick,

next trip planned week after easter.

thanks for asking!

bendy mom

janew

Post by janew »

That is nice news, Glad you were able to visit & not have a crisis. Better your daddy is doing better than expected.
Best Wishes,
jane