We need help with our cat PLEASE? :(

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
fufusmom

We need help with our cat PLEASE? :(

Post by fufusmom »

Hello,
We have an 11yr old siamese cat. It seemed he was doing fairly well, we knew he was getting older but then he started having problems walking. His hip and back legs seem to be bothering him badly. He has not been outside for any injury to occur.
He is pretty much just getting up to eat(however he looks very skinny esp in the back area?), drink and use the litter box.(and starting today, we noticed he has been urinating on the floor outside the box, prob becasue it is to high for him to get in, so we changed boxes) Every once in awhile he may walk toward us just a few steps away from his bed and meow but that is about it, and then he just turns around and goes back to lie down. After the first few days of noticing these issues he would try to get up on the couch and in our daughter's bed to sleep(his favorite places) but was unable to make the jump and would fall back down. He doesn't attempt either of those things anymore. We have 2 children at home ages 2 and 9 and as far as we know they have not done anything to him. (our 9yr old especially) They have always been very good with pets. Confusious(our cat) is a member of our family, we all love him very much!
I have felt his hip on both sides and both back legs. I don't feel any abnormalities and he doesn't bite or make any noises unless you try to pick him up and then he only just makes some quiet noises and just lays in the same position you pick him up in?
We are very heartbroken by what we are seeing and don't know what to do, we do not have any money at the moment to take him to a vet right now. We just are so confused by what is going on. Anyone have any ideas at all, please? Your advice would be much appreciated.
We will contintue trying to find answers and help to save/treat our little guy.
Thank you very much to anyone who may be able to give us some ideas of what might be happening. :?
Fufu's Mom
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: We need help with our cat PLEASE? :(

Post by Bendy Kitty »

the trouble getting around sounds like arthritis to me.
If you don't have the funds for a vet visit there are still things you can do (lots of arthritic kitties here)

there is a product called Cosequin which has done wonders for arthritic cats here. It is suppliment that comes in capsules. you can open teh caspule and sprinkle it on food, it tastes good.

our ancient cat Citrus has severe front paw arthritis and is getting a suppliment made for horses called Aniflex GL that we got at a local feed store. We put an eight a tsp into her food every evening and it has helped tons.

Get a heating pad and put it on low, put a towel over it. This feels very nice for arthritic joints!
Keep teh litter, food & water close by. Glad you gave him a different kind of box.
do not get a snuggle safe!

the loss of muscle mass in teh hind legs and peeing problems can also be indicative of kidney problems. Is he drinking a lot of water? giving canned food helps with this, avoid fishy flavors especially whitefish! they are high in magnesium and this is hard on the cats renal system.

we hope these things help!

if you can afford a vet visit, a prednisone shot or oral prednisone is a very effective treatment too.

Glad you found us!!!
Bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
mumpkees

Post by mumpkees »

Hi!

Glad you found us! I am inclined to agree with Bendy - arthritis. It is quite common in older cats. We have two cats with similar symptoms. The HookMeister is a 12 yr old Siamese and in the past year I've noticed that he is thinning in the hips and losing muscle mass. It is harder for him to make the jumps that he used to do easily. Sassy is 21 yrs old and she too is suffering from arthritis. The damp weather really bothers her. Both of ours are on Cosequin and glucosomine (another supplement that you can buy at walmart or a health food store). It is reasonably affordable and relatively tasteless and I mix it into their food. Just be sure when you buy these supplements that you get them without any other additives.

Both HookMeister and Sassy are in renal failure also and are being treated for that. If your boy is drinking more water than he used to and the litter box is 'wetter' than it used to be (and thank you for getting him a lower sided box - it is very painful to lift old legs and hips over a high sided box), chances are he is in the beginning stages of renal failure. If he is exhibiting these signs you will want to get him to his vet as soon as you are able so that they can do a blood panel and give you some treatments to help him like a potassium supplement and possibly subQ fluids.

You will want to watch to make sure that he is eating well. If you notice that he is having trouble eating his dry kibble, he may have a bad tooth or may have lost several teeth when you didn't notice. Changing to a smaller kibble can help this. Adding wet food will also help him both with getting enough nutrition and the extra fluids older cats need. Try to buy the best quality canned and dry food you can afford because he needs all the extra nutrients.

You mentioned that he is no longer able to get up on the couch and your daughter's bed - two of his favorite things. When they can't do the things they used to do, they are just like us - they get depressed. What we have done for our furkids is to put a stack of pillows, quilts or blankets in front of the couch and beside the bed so that they can stair step up to where they want to get. You won't win the House Beautiful award, but you will help your kitty feel better that he can still do the things he likes and be a part of your family. Even though he is slowing down in his older age, still include him in the things you do. If he has a favorite toy you used to play with him with, continue to engage him in play - make it a little slower and gentler, but the exercise will help to keep his joints moving. Pet him and brush him as as they get older they have a little trouble reaching places they used to be able to. Cats like to be well groomed and not being so depresses them.

Hope some of these suggestions will help your boy. Do stay in touch with us. Don't hesitate to ask questions. There are a lot of folks here with special needs experience and great ideas and tips.

Headbonks! /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
fufusmom

Post by fufusmom »

Thank you very much for both of the replies. I have written down the things that you have suggested and we are going to go try to find some of them tomorrow. I sure hopes these things help. I've not been close to many pets(my husband has) and this is really hard. It is breaking my heart to watch him this way. I will keep you posted on how things are going.
Hopefully we will see some improvement soon after we start some of the meds and other things recommended.
Again.....THANK YOU!!
Sincerely,
Confusious's Family =)
Fufu's Mom