Parvo in Tara the Flea Market Puppy

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
LisainCAN

Parvo in Tara the Flea Market Puppy

Post by LisainCAN »

Tara is a Doberman/"Mini Golden" puppy bought at a local flea market from a woman selling livestock, small animals, poultry, and puppies in deplorable conditions. Because she gave them water occasionally and had a tarp overhead, she seems to be on the bare side of legal. Of course, the courtesy of being in the shade was not extended to the non-humans and my partner and I found a little doggie tied up to a cage in full sun, with no food and barely any water. Although I know better, and did not want to encourage this greedy woman, we could not turn away from a beautiful canine soul we later named Tara (after my beloved Sara whom I lost to DM on February 22 of this year). She was hunched over and everything about her showed that her spirit was broken and she had given up on life. My partner was drawn to her and he could not walk away. Upon inquiry, we discovered that she was apparently 3 months old. After a bit of haggling, we put our money together and I purposely kept it five dollars short of the woman's lowest price. The woman, not wanting to lose a sale, grabbed the money from our hands, then said: "The leash and collar stay with me" and proceeded to remove both Dollar Store items from the dog. Before we knew it, we had a lovely little puppy in our hands and no collar, no leash. Of course, this dog had never truly seen a leash in her whole life so we carried her to the car. So began a true love story between my 4 year-old son and this shattered and frightened little dog. Now, four days later, and after much progress in terms of trusting humans again, this dog is at a true risk of dying.

Please send her positive energy/good vibes/prayers.
Attachments
Tara-May 31.jpg
Christine

Re: Parvo in Tara the Flea Market Puppy

Post by Christine »

Oh Lisa!! I have been watching this beautiful story unnfold and falling in love with this little one right along with you. I am so clueless as far as Parvo, but will be doing some reading. In the meantime, I am sending every positive prayer for healing and a good outcome I can muster. I truly hope there is a special place down below for the people who cause the neglect and pain for these innocent souls. Hugs to you, Liam and Tara.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hoping for the best, so glad she is in a loving home now.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

Thank you.

The vet called today and said that she had made it through the night. We were all a pack of nerves until the call and my son was crying all morning for 'his doggie.'

We have only had her for a few days, since we plunked her out of that hellhole stall at the market, but she certainly made her way into so many hearts. I feel bad for the ten or so other pups who were there that day as they all likely have parvo.
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

She is still alive today. After a great night last night, she went downhill this morning, only to rally this afternoon. She looked so sad that it broke our hearts. We told her how much we loved her and tried to encourage her to fight this horrible virus. She truly is special.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Sending prayers....glad she is with you to fight this...she could not be in a better place.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
janew

Post by janew »

How is she doing?