Travel Tips to Canada with Cricket?

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
cricketsmom

Travel Tips to Canada with Cricket?

Post by cricketsmom »

Hi All, I am wanting to plan a trip to Canada with my mom to see Prince Edward Island next year. My incontinent kitty Cricket would be going along and I'm wondering if anyone has some insight for air travel and the rules for a pet cat to cross into Canada and back. I have taken Cricket by car to many places and don't go anywhere without her, but this would be new. We have not yet had to fly together or cross any borders to another country. lol. Reading over the websites for airlines, it seems they can change your arrangements at a moments notice and not allow the pet in the cabin. For me, that's the only place that's acceptable for her to be, where I can see her the whole time. I have also checked the site for imports to Canada, and it looks like all I need is a current rabies certificate and a health paper to get her in. Any tips?? Or am I setting myself up for a disaster?? :?
vet tech and pet mom
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Travel Tips to Canada with Cricket?

Post by Bobbie »

Crossing the border is pretty simple. Flying should be okay, too, you just have to have an acceptable carrier. While technically they could bump you I don't think it happens anymore than with people, probably even less! There are rules about how many pets on a flight but the airline worries about that, you don't have to.

If you plan to rent a car, the advice I have heard is don't tell them you have a cat! I don't know if I advise this but apparently a lot of them say no to pets.

You might try to arrange care at home, though, and not have to spend the trip worrying about her. I always worry ahead of time if I leave my dogs but once I am gone it can be relaxing enough.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

Thanks for the reply!! Leaving her at home is almost harder than taking her. I had a bad experience early on when I left her overnight once, and they forgot she was incontinent. When I got her back, huge bladder and all, I was livid. That's was the first and only time I left her anywhere. She also gets extremely stressed in a clinic environment. Although she hasn't had any major treatments in about two years, my bubbly sweetheart becomes a hissing, spitting terror every time. I have to wrap her in a towel when I take her to work with me just to get yearly shots done!
So prettymuch the only option I'd go for is a private sitter. Finding someone who is both trained and compassionate to her condition is the hard part...
At least she enjoys trips. She's a quiet traveler, and takes over any hotel room or friend's house like she owns it. lol
vet tech and pet mom
Christine

Post by Christine »

Prince Edward Island is a dream of mine to visit - I am so envious! Have a wonderful time. Wonder if actually talking to someone at the airline and letting them know you are a vet tech would be further assurance that they would not try to change things once you arrive.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Jean

Post by Jean »

Personally, I would not leave Cricket if I were you unless you had spent considerable time training someone to specifically care for her. Even then, I hesitate to leave mine. I left my paralyzed dog Angel and my foster paralyzed dachie Rusty at the clinic while I went for the day to a local vet college 3 hours away. I took the paralyzed kitties with me.
When I returned the following morning Angel was peeing blood and Rusty was dripping blood. Angel had gotten stressed and wouldn't potty and developed an infection and they couldn't express Rusty so they stuck a catheter in him. He bleed for days and days after that. sigh
I just make it a point to load them all up and take them. Even though someone may be trained to express bladders each pet is so different. For instance I express some lying down and some facing forward and some to the side.
Do you still give yearly vaccinations ? There is so much evidence of autoimmune disorders with such frequent vaccinations.
Hope you both enjoy your trip !!!! /Jean
cricketsmom

Post by cricketsmom »

Jean, yes, I vaccinate yearly. There is a very high incidence of rabies and distemper in the local wildlife of my area. They are horrible diseases, and no way my babies are going to suffer from them. I'm aware of the studies, although I take them with a grain of salt.

Well, Thanks All! Hoping to make arrangements soon for Cricket's biggest adventure so far. :D Crossing my fingers it goes well!
Merry Christmas!!!
vet tech and pet mom