Look who came for Christmas

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
CarolC

Look who came for Christmas

Post by CarolC »

OK, haven't found her owner yet...

5 years old, not chipped or spayed, came up to me in the parking lot wearing a pink designer collar and matching leash, no tags. It was cold and wet and dark, the leash had oil on it from dragging through parking spaces, she ***crawled into my arms and needed a hug or three*** so I brought her home.

No replies after posting on Craigslist, Petfinder, the newspaper, the animal shelter, and stapling up signs on telephone poles, it's been 4 days. So maybe...

this little dog who gets along with the cats, and the other two dogs, and is paper trained (some of the time anyway), and won't touch dry food or Milk Bones but hoovers up the canned...this little dog who takes my whole pillow at night and crowds into my chest when I get it back...maybe she will be staying longer than expected. She needs to be heartworm tested...she probably needs a parvo series...and unfortunately she may need to be spayed. She's a total sweetheart and an angel. :wub:
:angel:
marilynb

Re: Look who came for Christmas

Post by marilynb »

What a sweetheart.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh, Carol!!!!!! Did she find her pefect home or what? Did you dare name her? She is soooo cute!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Nooo....haven't named her yet....wish I knew her name. Seems like someone out there must be frantic or heartbroken. Where is the lady who bought her the Lulupink collar and leash...she's a smoker. :?
Christine

Post by Christine »

It sure does seem like someone who would buy that would be missing her. Thank goodness she was rescued by you and not run over or worse. It's time like this, you wish they could talk. I will forever wonder where Bailey, Penny and Panda came from before they found me.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

So the universe gave you a Christmas present, eh?? :lol: Congratulations!!
LisainCAN

Post by LisainCAN »

I really, really want you to keep her, but do you think it may have been someone passing through who lost her in the parking lot? I would think if that would be the case, though, that the people, even if they are back home, would advertise in your paper or at least contact the shelter.

Name her. No matter what, she loves you and she is staying until otherwise. Besides, who knows if her original home was even any good?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm thinking Millie. Still kind of holding my breath.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Carol,
Did Millie's owner contact you ? She is sure a sweetheart. Is she part Yorkie?
If the owner hasn't appeared then it sounds like Millie has found her new mom and you have found a new little girl !!!!/Jean
janew

Post by janew »

Carol,
If she is 5yrs & unspay...you are doing her a favor, if had she owners, they were not so 'hot'. Congrats on Millie...now she has a HOME, not just someone that feeds her. What a dandy Christmas present both Millie & you got!
jane
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Sorry for the delay in replying, it's been a super busy week. Things are going pretty well. I took her for her heartworm test and it came back negative so we started the preventive. While we were there, the vet looked at her closely and estimates she is around 2, not 5. The original estimate of 5 came from a vet tech who scanned her for a microchip right after I found her. That's great because Dolly is 3, making them close to the same age.

The vet does not think she is spayed but I definitely feel something under her skin up pretty high toward her ribcage, so I need to ask him about it. Her housetraining now seems to be 100%, part of it was me learning where to put the pads and when to let her out, I've never had a dog who was paper trained before. It's like a miracle. :) I was not feeding her enough but I am straightened out on that too now, I hope. Still no replies from any of the ads.
sheri m

Post by sheri m »

Carol it looks like she feels right at home. She is so lucky to be in the right place at the right time. If no one has come forward by now I would say she is a very lucky girl. There would not be a more carring and knowledgable person to take her in to her home.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sheri,

So good to see you. She and Dolly got in a fight tonight. I don't know how much to allow or not. Do they need to learn to be sisters or is it just not going to work. There's been some friction, then everything seems all right. Millie kept running at Dolly and barking, she started it. No one was actually injured and they separated when I shouted and waded in.
sheri m

Post by sheri m »

hopefully it will just be a matter of time. She may not like to share her mom. Pete and Darth get into battles every now and then but never any injuries just a lot of noise. Pete is still Pete older but still just as trying.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thanks, this helps. The only fight I've ever had in this house was a very senior cat and a senior mini-dachshund. I guess if someone gets hurt, that will be it. You're right, they are fighting over me, I thought so, too. They were rolling and snarling and growling, really going at it. Also, I appreciate you do not baby Pete. I was thinking I should let Dolly be a dog even though she is partially paralyzed. But I don't like fighting.