Cherry is home!

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Cherry is home!

Post by BendyMom »

she rode fine, slept most of the way.
she says this is the wrong dog, thank you. my dog is confused, why are the kittens all hissing at her? she just wants to wash them.
Cherry was greated by at least six cats washing her head, others standing by, BlackForestCakeSnapeFurr wanting to play and little Aiyanna was right in there with the rest of them.
I'm going to let her sleep in the bed tonite, heck the sheets need to be changed anyway and i have a couple days off to catch up on everything.
right now she is in a crate staring at everyone. this is a very busy house! so many kitties!

i'm tired. have to get up early and take in two cats tot eh rescue vet (about an hour drive) for surgery (one dental extraction and one tumor removal) but i should be back by by 2. then it will be nap time again.
i have a few days off to attack this place and get it looking like a house again, and play with cats. i wonder which i'll do more of....

Mary and friend are wonderfully sweet people :)
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Re: Cherry is home!

Post by BendyMom »

As she is a black tortie i found myself calling her 'black cherry' this quickly morphed into a drink I grew up on called Black Cherry Wisniak.

so, who here can tell me what that is WITHOUT googling it ?
it will also give you an idea of where i grew up.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

6 cats washing her head, she must be in Heaven. That is so sweet. I think having your head washed is a cure for just about everything that matters. What a wonderful homecoming and welcome into the heart of the family. Are you seriously Polish? Sto lat to little Cherry! :D
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

I am not Polish myself, although there is about 1/4 of bohemian there, migrated over during WWI. but there aer a lot of poles and other eastern euros in that region, thus the drink.
figures you'd be the one to know anything about the drink :)

she strongly dissapproves of mopping teh hall! sweeping was fun, seh was very helpful.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

Cherry had a good day. the cats kept coming over to say hello and wash her. she was more amiable towards them but did hiss a little bit. she seems to be getting the point that they WILL be friendly even if they are strangers. She found a great hidey cave in teh hallway, it has been a hideycave for others and I was amused when I saw her there. She likes me to carry her arond. purrrrrrrrrs when I do but I told her she needs to keep exercising so cna't be carried all teh time.
she did fine in the bed last night so i'll bring her to bed again tonite.

when i go express her, with just puting pressure on her bladder she tries to squat and pee on her own. although once when i picked her up she let loose. oops. not like i haven't been peed on a zillion times before. better a cat than a kid!
She was very helpful sweeping teh hallway, chasing the broom, but mopping? heck no. she retreated to her cave, which i refrained from mopping.

its beena very long day (taking 2 cats for surgery this morning, they are doing fine) and trying to beat back the house. had today off. work again tomorrow. woohoo. i'll have to see if Cherry can get teh hang of sitting on one of teh chairs here by me (i have an extra chair on eithe rside of me for cats, since there isn't lap room when I'm working). i'm about to fall over, strange since i'm usually up until at least 2 and sometimes 4 but ..whatever.

picts soon. i am very bad about getting them off my camera.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
faeriefolk

Post by faeriefolk »

Thank you so much for all of the updates! AnnaBelle and I are so comforted by them.

Cherry seems to have hit the jackpot. A house where there are no carpets, and thus no vacuum! She truly hated that thing. Sometimes she would hide herself very well and then fall asleep. We'd search and search for her, then find her curled up behind the sofa. And the steam cleaner was even worse. It would ruin her whole day!

I did have to Google Black Cherry Wisniak. It's a wonderful name, and it sounds delicious. Also, we have some Polish ancestry so it reflects her roots. (Polish by way of Southern Maryland I guess.)

I hope that your house cleaning day went well. I got a start on mine. With all of the commotion around here, someone isn't using the box. So we're playing a game of "where is the pee spot?". No luck yet. I've even gotten out the black light, but after nine years in this house, more spots on our carpets fluoresce than don't! I did have some help from Pan, my brown and black tabby. He loves to jump onto my back whenever I bend over. Even at 3:00 am when I am investigating a pervasive cat odor, it makes me laugh every time.

My daughter and I so enjoyed meeting you. The fact that Cherry was falling asleep in your arms inside of ten minutes let us know that we had found the right mom for our sweet little girl.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

well, there IS a steam cleaner, fortunatley for her i am too lazy to use it often.

She has shown that she can get up and down off the bed just fine, she seems to prefer it there, maybe because the cats who typically hang out on the bed don't keep trying to wash her. darn those friendly cats!

she tends to pee when i pick her up first thing in teh morning, i will have to remember to grab a towel.
she peed on a friend of mine today, another cat person, i had to laugh. hey i said don't press on the belly.

i am really wondering exactly what her injury was, the nerve damage is to teh peripheral nerves, i can't feel any defect in her spine. going to talk to the rescue vet about x-rays.
when chasing a fly, Cherry has good motion of her hind end definitely gets up on at least the knee of her better leg. water therapy might be really good for her, if she will stand for it.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
Jean

Post by Jean »

It was so nice to read the update on little Cherry. :)
She sounds like an absolute sweetheart. Jean
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

This morning Black Cherry and Aiyanna (foster kitten) were curled up together on my bed :) and, she did not grumble when Baby gave ehr some good morning licks.

the more I look at her the more i an unconvinced this is a spinal injury. Having full function of her tail but being incontinent just doesn't make sense.

She can JUMP off the bed. She pushes off with her knees and manages to get some horizontal momentum. then she lands on her front feet, bounces, takes a few steps headstanding, and lets her hind end down.
i finally saw her do it this morning.
it was pretty amazing.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
Christine

Post by Christine »

I love stories like this...Cherry has landed in the perfect place. Maybe you can video some of her stunts. I think one of the dearest things in the world is to see two animals clean each other or cuddle and sleep together. Wish that feeling could be bottled.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

agreed, very very peaceful to watch.

i took some picts of Cherry and I did make a video I need to upload to youtube, it is about 5 minutes long. her playing in the hallway with her favorite toy - that came with her. a couple other cats join in towards the end.
trying to get her to show how she moves. she was having a big time.

i thought this pict was just ubercute. I was playing 'roll a kitten' with her on the bed.

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

TOO cute! :mrgreen: