Testing the waters (pics included!)

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Sparrow

Testing the waters (pics included!)

Post by Sparrow »

I am new to the forum, and am in the very early stages of looking into the possibility of adopting a special needs kitty.

I lost my Sabrina just shy of her 20th birthday last September. She was able to have nearly five years of happiness and health after her hyperT/CRF diagnosis (she actually wasn't at CRF yet at the start of that, but her kidneys were insufficient.) Even though she lived with my parents and not me for those last years (we grew up together and she never would have wanted to move out from her home,) I got to see her often as I live nearby. In her absence, I miss not only having a really amazing cat, but providing special care to another. I am really drawn to special needs (I have a bird with no feet and one that suffered a neurological event early in life that has since mostly recovered.)

The cat I am looking at is paraplegic after a pellet gun shot to the spine last summer. He has some movement in his rear legs, but no bladder control. He uses a mobility cart and diapers. I am going to get more info from the rescue when I call them tomorrow. I am not sure I'd be up for this much work though, as I have read about needing to express the bladder every eight hours, and I can't imagine never being able to be away more than 8 hours or risk an infection. I am not sure as to exact needs, though, and hope to learn more by talking with his foster mom.

If (when) I want more info, which forum would be the best to post under, as he has both an injury, paralysis and incontinence? I'm stepping lightly into the idea of this, but really think I'd like a special kitty or two in my home and my heart. I guess I just want a little guidance as to what this life would be like. Nothing will be Sabrina, but I miss having a bond with a really great cat. You can see a post on Sabrina in the Rainbo Bridge section with some pics of her.

And here are some pics of the love. He sounds super sweet from what I have read!

critters
Founding Member

Re: Testing the waters (pics included!)

Post by critters »

:slant: I'm surprised he likes his cart (wheelchair) so much!! Most cats don't. What a handsome fella!

If you think spinal cord injury is too much, and it IS a fair amount of work, you could also consider "handicap light" like a tripod, one-eyed, etc. There's a "trick" to expressing pee; it's not really as much of a trick as just getting in the hang of feeling the water balloon of the bladder amidst all the rest of the innards. :shock:

You sound like a great parent for a handicapper!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oh, and I'd post in the neuro section; all of his problems from the pellet (my Koi had a pellet in his spinal cord, too) would fall into that. If you posted poop and pee in incontinence and the rest in neuro you'd drive yourself crazy having it all split up, and it'd probably be somewhat confusing, too. It's best to try to keep stuff together, if you ask me!
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Thanks, critters! I talked with Zeppelin's foster mom yesterday and got a lot of good info. I'll make a post in the other section to talk about him some more. She said he's off and zooming as soon as he's in his cart, which is so awesome for a cat! His injury was in September, so not even half a year ago.
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

Welcome to Hpets!!!!
You sound like you fit right in :)

Expressing is somethign that seems difficult at first, but then suddenly it just works.
there aer descriptions and videos on this site, i would also have his foster mom show you how she does it, and you can practice with her there.
you'll be amazed how senstive your fingers will get. I currently have two that I express, neither of them like it but one is more vocal. so if your boy fusses a lot I wouldn't be surprised. I find expressing feces much easier. The bladder is slippery like a water balloon and always seems to be trying to run away.

as for the every 8 hours. i think if you expressed him before work, then when you got home, then before bed, you should be good. infections suck, to be sure, I am dealing with that now. I would get some pH strips so you can test his urine pH. You want it a little acidic, this makes it harder for bacteria to grow. I put a little bit of vitamin C powder on my guys' food, and there are different pastes you can get help too.

He looks so happy in his cart, that is great! I used a cart for physical therapy for one of mine and she wasn't too thrilled, but she grumped about everything. her nickname was GrumbleButt.

we're all here for any questions you have. feel free to PM anyone if you aren't getting a reply fast enough. I get here every few days but with my crew i am often super busy so miss posts. fortunately several people here will email me if there is a cat who needs help NOW.

i have learned a lot about life from my special needs pets. they don't see themselves as different, they don't stop and feel sorry for themselves, they just figure out how to do whatever it is they are wanting to do and they just keep going. they are amazing.

sorry for the loss of your special girl in September. 20 years is a long time.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.