Skipper scratching in litter box but not going-any ideas why

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Les

Skipper scratching in litter box but not going-any ideas why

Post by Les »

Skipper is about 4-5 years-old and healthy, but he just started going from litter box to litter box, standing in them, scratching but not going to the bathroom. He doesn't appear to be in any distress as he isn't crying or peeing anywhere else outside the box, and he's hanging around lounging with the others....he was just in there again and went pee just a tiny little bit; should we be concerned or do you think he might just be a little constipated? Again, he seems fine otherwise, and when previous cats had urinary infections they really let us know it with loud crying....perhaps a stuck hairball?

Thanks, as usual! :)
Les

Re: Skipper scratching in litter box but not going-any ideas

Post by Les »

Two things-I just talked to the on-call vet and she said if it was an obstruction he'll let us know, he'll become very lethargic and possibly vomit. But he ate supper a few hours ago and about 10 minutes ago he just peed-THANK GOD! These cats are passing around an intestinal thing so who knows, plus me and the wife seem to have it too! We'll keep a close watch on him but we feel so much better that he went piddle! And I'm sure he does too! :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Whew! My first thought was his pee being blocked, but a belly bug can sure do it, too!
Les

Post by Les »

UPDATE! This morning Skipper was in the kitchen to eat breakfast, ate, seemed pretty good, but he was doing that "routine" again of going into several litter boxes, not going to the bathroom, scratching, leaving etc. so we trapped him in the room and got him into a carrier and took him to the vet-she checked him out, said that his bladder was empty and his penis was irritated, gave him a shot of antibiotic and subcutaneous fluids and said to watch him....couldn't really find anything and she said if he was blocked she would've felt it and his bladder would've been like a baseball but she couldn't find anything. So he's been home since this morning and after hiding for most of the day made his way out to eat and just then OF COURSE a loud clap of thunder hit and ALL the cats scattered-but at least he was seen BEFORE he got real bad....then again maybe he wouldn't have gotten bad but we were off today and got him and didn't want to take that chance!

Thanks!

Les :? :)