cricket got his wheels!!

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
connie

cricket got his wheels!!

Post by connie »

they arrived today! but doing so much adjusting made him mad and upset. so I will have to get him used to them slowly. he growls at them. but he was crazy in love with the toy doggie that came with it. lol. any suggestions how I can help him along?
hugs, connie & cricket
Attachments
599358_667580873252601_521702242_n.jpg
1381993_667665836577438_1270024407_n.jpg
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: cricket got his wheels!!

Post by Bobbie »

first let him wear the harness around, add a leash so there is a little pull to it, and lots of praise and rewards. Then without him in it pull the cart around so he gets used to it moving. More treats, toss some so he goes to the cart and sees it won't hurt. Then, when you think he's doing okay, put him in it and feed him. Food makes him forget he's in the cart, so then leave it on a bit and see if he starts moving around. If he just stands there, let him, after awhile, take him out of it, and do it again a few hours later (small meals let you do this all day long.)

It shouldn't take long before he realizes it is a good thing, but once you have him in it, adjusted, and not scared, go somewhere that's exciting for him. Pet stores are good- call ahead and tell them to have all the employees offer treats and encouragement. The idea is to get him moving without thinking about the cart.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Cute pictures, Connie! That is so exciting! :D
connie

Post by connie »

thank you, he is so upset. I sure could have used mr. mark today lol. on his videos it looked so easy. lol . will take time I see.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Some dogs take to it instantly, others (including a LOT of corgis) need to go more slowly. The harness type cart is good for the slow approach as you can do parts of it- if you've never used a lift, take the saddle off and use it for a rear support, too. It's going to feel very new for Cricket, so even though you really want to get him going in it, you need to be very, very patient and let him get used to it a little at a time, always associating it with good things. Merlin wasn't scared of his, but it took about 4 months to get him from refusing to move to using the cart freely. (Pure stubbornness in his case.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hang in there, Connie. I know you probably feel like crying when you were so excited about the cart (and you want to be able to post pictures for the lady who raised the money and for us here, and maybe even for a TV show). I went through something similar--here is what I said in an old post.
CarolC wrote:I just *knew* when I put my dog in, she would take off running like Willy did in the book and it would be a moment of pure joy. I was so excited about the cart that (I've never confessed this before) when the delivery truck pulled up to our door, I ran outside and ran up to the driver and actually scared him because he wasn't expecting it. I told him, "It's the wheelchair for my dog" and I guess he thought I was nuts. I took it in the house and could not even use it that day because it needed adjustments, which required reading the instructions, and there wasn't time. When I finally got it adjusted the next night, first I had trouble getting her into it, then she just stood there. The look on her face was like, "OK, I'll stand here but why do you want me to?" No racing around, nothing.
It did get better... :angel:
connie

Post by connie »

thanks, I know he will. he has always gone to "beat of his own drums", even his care after surgery had be done his way.lol. I am not in a hurry. just want him to have that taste of freedom. we going day by day on it. he scared of the harness not wheels. beck who bought them is totally understanding. she is wheel chair bound herselve and said it took her a while to adjust herself. here is cricket thanking her. she had it framed for her desk. lol
wish ya'll lived closer, but thanks for all the advice.
love, cricket & connie
Attachments
1379922_664766103534078_221560810_n.jpg
connie

Post by connie »

my home town newspaper. we made front page MARK ROBINSON!!
Attachments
1377958_667651569912198_1002162708_n.jpg
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Wow!!! Look at that! FRONT PAGE!!!

Buy lots of extra copies. That is wonderful!!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Christine

Post by Christine »

So proud for you!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Wow, Connie! Good news, and great to see a pic of both of you in your newspaper!