New computer virus - Yikes!

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
CarolC

New computer virus - Yikes!

Post by CarolC »

This is not pet related, but I had a big scare and I wanted to share what happened. 3 days ago I visited a completely legitimate website I had visited 20 times before, and immediately got 2 Norton Antivirus warnings one after another, bang, bang. I was scared to log in to the site in case some other virus might be there that might get past Norton (I didn't know if maybe one already had gotten past). I just happened to know the guy who runs the site slightly, and I had his email address because I made a PayPal donation a couple of years ago. I managed to get screenshots of both warnings and sent them to him, and he and his hosting got it fixed within the hour. He said they determined they got in through a vulnerable WordPress plugin.

The virus was the RIG Exploit Kit. Since May it has been showing up on legitimate sites and what it does is put a script into your computer that encrypts all your files so they are inaccessible without the decryption key. It is called ransomware because then it gives you a screen saying if you want your files decrypted you have to send money, and if you don't pay within a certain time you will lose everything, and the threat is real. You actually will lose all your documents, photos, downloads, etc., there is no available way to decrypt the files...no program you can buy, no computer repair expert who can fix it. Apparently it is not hard to remove the virus itself, but your files are all still encrypted, the damage is done.

I was ***SO*** fortunate Norton caught it. I actually was backed up fairly well already, but needless to say, I went out and bought a large flash drive and made a newer backup the same night. ALL documents and ALL of the desktop and ALL of my useful programs I downloaded. My photos were already backed up. (And did a full system scan and ran Norton Power Eraser for good measure, and deleted Silverlight and Java.)

So anyway, if your antivirus software is not up to date, you really need it! Christine, I know you have Carbonite. I wish I did, I just hate to pay that much. I am going to look at their site.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you guys have already heard of the RIG exploit kit, or ransomware, through the media but it seemed far away, maybe it will seem more real knowing it almost happened to someone you know. I was a little freaked when I got the warnings, but it takes a couple of days to really sink in...what could have happened. You'd be saying, well I used to have that photo, but I don't now. I had that expensive software program, but I don't now. I had the documents on the house inspection, but I don't now. It would be giving you repeated pains and regrets during daily life for years, don't let it happen to you!
attack_sm.PNG
critters
Founding Member

Re: New computer virus - Yikes!

Post by critters »

:thankyou: for the warning.
Christine

Re: New computer virus - Yikes!

Post by Christine »

Wow...thanks for the heads up! I do have Carbonite and at basically $5.00 a month, it is worth every cent to me. When we updated our computers, we also got Webroot security (suggested by Best Buy) and so far, its pretty effortless. I am going to share this link - great information.

So glad you averted it
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08