Sebastian's very traumatic vet visit

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Les

Sebastian's very traumatic vet visit

Post by Les »

Once again I pop in here to ask you all some advice, and if you have had similar experiences so here goes; a little over a week ago, we noticed that Sebastian, our 14.5 year-old black/brown Chantilly, was not himself, laying in a cat bed, nose and body felt warm, just very lethargic, so I took him to the vet about 7 miles away, and he absolutely HATES going to the vet, he gets stressed more than any animal we've ever had, but he had to go, and I won't lie to you when my wife (she didn't go) was saying "solong" to him she was talking to him like he wasn't coming back, thinking this might be the end and I did too but not much, but that all goes back to May last year when Simon got sick and died days later of stomach cancer, so I guess we both had that in our memories which is understandable. The vet checked him out, his temp was normal, physical exam was okay, they said they could do a blood test to see if there was anything really off, and he was very matted, my wife tried to keep up brushing him but he got matted so they said "we can shave him" which I thought meant they'd "trim" the mats out, boy was I ever wrong, they SHAVED both his sides on the back end which I'm sure wigged him out! I said that he had been acting like this before and we brought him in and in the past they gave him a shot of sub fluids and Convenia antibiotic shot that lasts for two weeks, maybe he just needed some fluids, they didn't think he was dehydrated but they gave him both anyway. I questioned why the antibiotic shot and they said "in case something is brewing", and with that I DID remember him peeing on our French door days earlier, so maybe he was getting a UTI. His bloodwork was normal except the kidney levels were "slightly" elevated but they said many things cause that, and he came home. Well, he has pretty much been hiding since then in a little corner under the counter in our kitchen, he is not very active, looks somewhat "stoned" which still could be from the shot, he seems very nervous and traumatized by it all, does drink, eats some food, mostly licks the gravy but last night ate treats, but stays in there and he always was a very vocal cat and his "meows" seem to be getting stronger but he doesn't come out much. Yesterday morning my wife woke me up at 4 a.m. saying he was laying in the litter box, and we thought he might be dying but he wasn't, he was just laying in there, probably had to go and was weak and stiff from laying so he just layed there; when we petted him he got out and went back into his "hole". My wife called the vet last week, told them this, and they said he's eating some and drinking, the shots might affect him plus they have seen many cats especially older ones act wacky FOR WEEKS after a traumatic vet visit, keep an eye on him but he's dealing with it on his own terms! I even contacted a pet "communicator" who we have used with much success in the past, told her the whole story, and she "talked" to him and said that the shaving REALLY freaked him out, his tummy is upset probably from the shot, give some yogurt or acidophilus, he wanted some petting from Deb around the base of his neck which is tight, the sneezing which he does do or at least makes sniffle noises is probably seasonal allergies and should pass, he probably was starting with a UTI but she senses nothing serious and to give him time. We did get a homeopathic product from Pet Wellbeing that is for the kidneys and to help maintain healthy weight and appetite so we just started giving that, but it is SO HARD to see him like this, we wish we could pick him up and hug him and I even thought take him to a local vet not so far away to maybe get some fluids to pump him up but Deb said no, it'll wig him out AGAIN plus he IS drinking water, so we are kind of stuck here in between not so good and better. Any thoughts on how to get him better would be very much appreciated, he doesn't seem like he is at the end of the road but this isn't very good either, we want him as good as he can be and we do understand he is older and has been slowing down, but he's Deb's "baby" so we want him well as he can be! We also could maybe have a vet come to the house....

Thanks in advance, as usual!
CarolC

Re: Sebastian's very traumatic vet visit

Post by CarolC »

It's not obvious to me what might be going on, but it sounds like he is coming out of it. Do you think maybe a tomcat was around outside, which is why he sprayed the french doors and why his neck is tense? It sounds like he's not really keeping up with his grooming, but the vet did not find anything with his mouth during the exam. When my Himalayan was very senior and had arthritis, it helped her a lot to lie on a heating pad, the heat improved her grooming. If it was my cat I would probably just try to find some different foods that are tempting. Right now one of my senior cats really likes the Meow Mix that comes in the little plastic cups, the flavor with crab. I'm sure in the long run he will be glad the mats are gone. He hasn't been able to lick his skin under those mats and they were pulling, it was probably worth it. Perhaps next time you can just shave them yourself. I use a little shaver that is sold as a sideburns trimmer. It is exactly like a clipper your use for haircuts but smaller, works better for mats.
Betsy_heating_pad.JPG
Les

Post by Les »

Thanks for the answer and the info, but after spending 5 hours at 2 vets yesterday we found the answer, he is severely CONSTIPATED! I took him to a local vet yesterday right down the street so that he and I wouldn't have to endure the long stressful ride to the usual vet which makes him nuts, and after some time the vet said she has seen cats act like this when they are constipated, took x-rays and there it was! Trouble is they were closing, said "we can give him an enema, you will have a HUGE mess on your hands at home, but he still might not be empty", and said we might have to take him to another vet that is open Sundays anyway, so I said "then why don't I just take him to them right now and avoid this hassle?" and they agreed, so he is still at the vet getting treatment but they called us 10:00 last night saying he got an enema and will get another one at midnight and is doing well. This vet did say that constipation is a symptom of something else going on, so he did more bloodwork and said his one kidney level was moderately up, so he thinks he is starting with kidney disease but says "with some changes it is very treatable", and thinks old "Sea bass" still has years left in him! We hope so, as this is so stressful and breaks your heart seeing them like this and not knowing what is wrong, but we seem to be on the correct path now I hope!!!

THANK YOU!!!!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

With both constipation and the beginning of kidney problems, you might want to do fluids under his skin at home to help with both problems.
Les

Post by Les »

critters wrote:With both constipation and the beginning of kidney problems, you might want to do fluids under his skin at home to help with both problems.

Yes, I think one of the vets said we could easily do that at home. Can't remember which one, were at so many lately! He's in his hiding place again but that is understandable, he was talking to us last night and is eating somewhat and drinking too, but he's wigged out again I'm sure and now he had another shot of Convenia which knocks him, but we think he'll be better soon we hope! He needs a lot of space right now to deal with all that the poor little guy was just through!

Thanks!