Sheltie with FCE

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
CHERYLGB

Sheltie with FCE

Post by CHERYLGB »

Hi, this is my first time posting so not sure I am posting in correct area. Looking for advice and support regarding sheltie newly diagnosed with FCE. He is 9 yrs old. Has some movement front legs. No movement in back.
CarolC

Re: Sheltie with FCE

Post by CarolC »

FCE usually has a good outcome, so while it is a shock when it happens, you have reason to be optimistic. The great majority of dogs recover and go on to live normal lives. Aggressive physical therapy is the recommended treatment. If you can afford professional PT such as the underwater treadmill, it would be great, but if not you can do PT at home. I am thinking that a dog with a long coat like a sheltie getting in the water 2 or 3 times a week would require blow drying this time of year, but PT is wonderful. If possible, perhaps you can take him for at least one session where they can evaluate him and tell you what exercises would help him, so you have a list of what to do at home. Does your dog have bladder control? Do you have a good sling or harness for him?
CHERYLGB

Post by CHERYLGB »

Thank you for your response. I am very appreciative. This happened last Wed. No movement at all of back legs. The vet assured us bladder control would not be a problem but Laddie seems to be going very often. We are giving him lots of water and he is drinking good amounts. I am doing physical therapy as best I know how. We tried standing him in two slings we made from cloth bags and he did urinate outside. However since then I have read that you should not sling a dog that cannot stand. Laddie can put very minimal wt on one front foot. The other front paw "folds" under. My questions are how do we know if he has bladder control, and can we use a sling and if so what type should we purchase. Thank you again for your response.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes, you can sling him, front and back, just as you were doing. I am guessing the information you read was not about FCE, it was more likely about a disk injury. I can't see any reason why they would say that about an FCE. If a dog has a disk injury (which is the most common cause of paralysis) you want to be careful how you handle and move the dog during the first weeks post-injury, in order not to put further stress on the disk and risk making things worse. But when a dog has an FCE, all of the damage that was going to be done, is already done at the time of the stroke and during the first hours, and you won't do any further damage by slinging him now, the therapy will be very good for him.

If you are going to buy one, I think you probably want a combination sling (examples here http://www.handicappedpets.com/help-pets-walk) since he is currently affected front and rear, but if your cloth bags are working, that is fine. There is a lot to be said for something that is easy to get on and off, and cloth bags are very easy. With my golden retriever, I used a plain nylon chest harness for the front and that did the trick. He was taller than a sheltie, so it may be worth buying a real front harness with a handle for your dog so you don't have to bend over so far. On the other hand, if you have the nylon chest harness, he can wear it all day, and you could loop something (a belt or even his walking leash) through it for something to grab so you don't have to bend over. There are even some doggy winter coats or sweaters and jackets that they are sturdy enough that I would think they would be useful as a front harness, if you just grab him by his jacket.

To tell if he has bladder control, you kind of have to try to figure out if he urinated outside because the sling was putting pressure on his bladder, or if he held it until he was outside and went voluntarily. Another thing is to feel his abdomen and try to tell whether he is really empty after he goes.
CHERYLGB

Post by CHERYLGB »

Thank you for your most helpful suggestions. We were feeling quite isolated. There surprisingly are really no resources in Green Bay. We have tried using the double bags as slings and feel very awkward, first getting them on and secondly managing to keep them positioned correctly. We did manage to stand Laddie today. I wish we were more adept at doing this! The wonderful news is that he has some movement of his back leg today. He responds to touching his feet between the toes. When we stood him he was able to bear weight on the hind legs after they were positioned. I assume this is a good sigh? Otherwise I assume there would be no weight bearing ablitlity at all is that correct? We've been using A and D ointment after cleansing him. I understand zinc oxide is toxic so I am hoping this ointment is Ok. The vet tech said it was but she also said zinc oxide is and I don't think it is safe if ingested. Can you please clarify. Also any suggestion with using bag slings would be appreciated. It should be so simple! Thanks again for your responses!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: The zinc is only toxic if they eat it, so that's why people take pains to cover such stuff. I have NO idea which potions have zinc, but Cavilon spray, which was devised for humans with ostomies and which is a skin protector, doesn't. It lasts a long time (days), too. Already having some movement is terrific!
CHERYLGB

Post by CHERYLGB »

Thank you for the suggestion! Still trying to maneuver the slings. Can't believe we are so inept at this! I assume we will figure this out and get better. Going to try the harness in front as suggested in an earlier post. Any other help or suggestions are appreciated.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

A & D is fine, you just have to keep applying it. You can even use plain petroleum jelly. The zinc oxide ointment stays on better and does not need to be reapplied every time, but I would only use it under a diaper or male wrap, so it is covered like critters says. Usually the white ointments are the ones with zinc oxide. My vet said a dog would have to lick quite a bit of the zinc oxide ointment to get sick, and that the only cases of zinc poisoning he's seen are from swallowing coins. But if your dog is not in a diaper then A & D is a good choice.

The weightbearing on the hind legs sounds very good! Yay!! :-)

Surprisingly, in spite of what we were all taught as children, it is OK to help support your dog standing by grasping him by the root of the tail where it meets the hips. They do this in professional PT. When you walk your dog this way they call it tailwalking.

On the slings, you may be endeavoring to have plenty of width under him, so you are using the bags wide open. It is not necessary, really. You can for example, fold the rear bag to half width or even narrower. If you have a nice bulky knitted or crocheted winter neck scarf, you could loop that under his tummy and it would support him very well, and be easy for you to hold in your hand. In vet clinics they often use a bath towel under the abdomen, I assume partly because they have plenty and they are easy to wash. I find it hard to hold a handful of bath towel for very long. If I was going to do that, I would want a thin towel. Someone used a horse girth, I thought that was brilliant but most of us don't have one. Another option is a sheet from a baby crib or toddler bed. I think you're going to like the nylon chest harness for easy of use, it will stay on better. Here is a picture of Merlin in his nylon chest harness, and a male doggy diaper I put straps on for handles.
Merlin_malewrap_straps.jpg
CHERYLGB

Post by CHERYLGB »

Carol you are right...we were using the entire widths of two bags. Very hard to manage. Once again thank you for the marvelous suggestions. I wish you lived next door! We have not gotten the harness as yet (snowing again here ugh). But I think that will be the ticket. And we will try folding the bags in half. That will surely be easier. You're the best! : )