Ransomware attacks lately

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
CarolC

Ransomware attacks lately

Post by CarolC »

If you use an older computer with Microsoft Windows such as Windows 7 or Windows 8 and have your computer set to do automatic updates, do not assume they are all getting done. Check to see how recent the dates actually are on installed updates. I discovered back in March that my computer had quit installing updates automatically, and that failure to automatically install updates is a known issue. You don't know they are not getting installed unless you check, it does not tell you it is no longer installing updates.

In order to be sure you have the current updates, go to Control Panel>Windows Update>Check for updates. If it says you are up to date, good. If it runs and runs, let it keep running even if it has to run 24 hours (in other words do not shut it off overnight) until it completes. It took 20 hours for mine to complete after not being updated for 6 months because the automatic update feature quit.

If you are using XP, updates have been released for that, too, be sure to install them.

I am concerned that the news reports about the recent ransomware attacks advise people to update their software, but none that I have heard have mentioned there can be a problem with the automatic update feature.

Do not assume you are up to date. Check. :wink:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Ransomware attacks lately

Post by critters »

Good info! If anybody wants to ransom my computers, they can have them. :twisted:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:hysterical:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

About 3 months ago I bought a new, small, super tough, waterproof, drop-proof, "ruggedized" laptop for $170. No way I'd pay a ton to "ransom" it!! And the old ones, well--not them, either!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That sounds pretty cool. I got my desktop on sale for $286 and it would not make sense to pay a $300 ransom for it. I suppose most people think the value is in the files they don't want to lose (photos, documents, downloaded books, music) and they are willing to pay for those, but for a personal computer if you keep your files backed up on a storage device periodically, you would only lose the most recent stuff.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

My mom just got hit by some link that appeared to be from Microsoft, and it locked up her Chromebook. It had a phone number, which she called. Of course they wanted money to fix it. I had to do the long push of the on/off button to reset it, but it seems fine. Time will tell...