"Big chicken"

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
CarolC

"Big chicken"

Post by CarolC »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... t-bacteria

I heard part of this interview about how the use of antibiotics in raising livestock can create antibiotic resistant bacteria that are difficult to treat in humans. That is something that has been known for a number of years. But the thing that interested me in this interview was a discussion of the kinds of infections that can result. Specifically, she mentioned antibiotic resistant urinary tract infections as a result of antibiotics used in raising poultry. She was talking about the number of such infections that occur in women.

I have never been too concerned about having everything organic, either for myself or my pets, but it occurred to me that this might be one time when it might be especially sensible to go organic. If you have a paralyzed pet who gets antibiotic resistant urinary infections, you might think it is something in the pet's environment, or incomplete expressing, or any number of theories of where the pet is getting it. It never would have occurred to me that it might be coming directly from the pet's food. The interview did not discuss pet food, at least not the part I heard, but it made me think. If my pet was having antibiotic resistant urinary infections, changing to an organic diet might help eliminate one possible source of the problem. Dunno...just thinkin'.
:thinking: