Miralax and lactulose

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
CarolC

Re: Miralax and lactulose

Post by CarolC »

I should have added, lactulose worked well for my dog. You can read the results here.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3231&p=14996#p14996

If it is not working for your dog, you may want to talk to the vet about increasing the dose. It is safe and not habit forming, and can be used for a lifetime. I have not seen very good results using it for my cat, but it worked well for my dog. :)
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I finally did a taste test on the lactulose. It is very mildly sweet, like watered down corn syrup, with no other discernable flavor. Possibly cats have different taste buds and can detect something humans cannot, but I could find nothing about it that would explain why my cat hates it so much.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I tasted it, too, when we were using it, and I agree. I didn't find it offensive at all.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yet she clearly just hates it. I give her one squirt and she is struggling with swallowing it and with the revulsion, and there's a look on her face, all squinched up, and I have to wait till she gets everything under control and composes herself before she'll let me do the second squirt. She's not faking it and she doesn't act that way with the laxatone, just puts up a normal fight. I'm thinking it must be a supertaster situation, like where some humans can taste things other humans cannot. I would guess it must be bitter, judging by the reaction. She must be able to taste something we can't.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Have you tried flavoring it some, like with tuna or something? Clam juice, maybe?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

No, I haven't. You're making me think. :thinking:

I also haven't tried mixing it into her big plate of canned to see if she'd still eat it. I don't have any tuna right now, but I could try that.

Thanks, she's nothing but sweet and this is hard on her.
:thankyou:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

And.....she ate all her food. Can Not Believe we have gone through this unpleasantness for *how long* and it could have been avoided. I'll do a happy dance when I quit kicking myself.

Libby says :thankyou:

P.S. As an afterthought, wouldn't it be great to take down the plexiglass that is covering the wall, and scrub the door and cupboards and floor (again) and have everything stay clean. If she eats it in food, then she's getting more in her because she's not drooling and spitting and shaking it out of her mouth all over the kitchen. I just read a post by BendyMom that said Butterbean wouldn't take it in food. I guess we're lucky. She still needs to be given laxatone but that one isn't nearly as bad.

EDIT: 11/19 she only ate part of her food.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

All-meat baby food can be handy for putting stuff in, too, or smooth cat foods.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That's an interesting idea. She gets Gerber chicken and I could try stirring it in. She eats out of the jar. Trying to think what I have that would work to stir something into such a small jar. All I can think of is a screwdriver. Thank you. I will try it tomorrow and see if she eats it.
:thankyou:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It worked!!! Woohoo!!! :ecstatic:
Great idea!
:thankyou: again!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

One of those wooden craft ("Popsicle") sticks, or some skinnier knife blades, maybe.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I have a 1/8" screwdriver and it works.
I forgot to do it this morning. :roll: But it works! :lol:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:lol: