Folding a dog crate

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
critters
Founding Member

Folding a dog crate

Post by critters »

My sister gave us a big folding dog crate. It popped right up, but I can't remember or figure out the trick to fold it back down. I expect it folds down like origami once the initial step is done, but we haven't had a dog crate for 10 or 15 years, and I just can't remember. I almost have to take the doors off the hinges to move it like it is! Thanks for suggestions.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Folding a dog crate

Post by critters »

PS--My sister had 3 crates and can't fold any of them, either! :oops: :lol:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

On the ones I have, the door that latches winds up inside the whole mess like a bookmark in a book. Let me see if I can do it by the numbers.

1. Leave the plastic tray in place.
2. Knock the end panels in so they both fall in toward the center. (You will have to unhook them at the top where they meet the ceiling, it's fun.) They will fall with a bang on the plastic tray in spite of your best intentions, which does not seem to hurt the tray. Note that whichever end panel you knock in first, it will be the wrong one, and you will have to fight to put it back in place so you can knock in the other end panel first instead. :roll:
3. Flatten the crate with the door that latches facing up,
4. Lift one side of the crate and fold it (now the door disappears inside).
5. Wrestle the little metal hooks so they lock it closed. Zip ties are optional and a nice touch.
6. If it came with a hard plastic handle, you can attach that so you can carry it like a suitcase.

If you tell me the brand maybe I can find a video of folding it? Think I have Midwest and iCrate?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

This is a pretty good video. She's doing a single door crate (mine are double door with one door on the end and one door on the long side, but folding is the same).

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:thankyou: The blue one she has is 2-door. I don't know offhand what brand the one she gave me is, but if this doesn't work I'll make note of it. :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I haven't tried the hints yet (when I got home yesterday I took Baby Boy's AC out, which takes brawn but no brains), and I may try tomorrow for brains but no brawn with this little chore! I did look and see that it says it's a Life Stages 1630, in case we need it for future reference. :thankyou:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Good, Life Stages is Midwest. :D
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

OK, I couldn't get the end panels unhooked from the ceiling. I think somebody forced one of them earlier, because the "barrel" is sprung. I don't want to break it...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Darn, not sure what you mean by barrel. Do you mean the little black metal clamps that are on the long sides of the ceiling? Yeah, those shouldn't be sprung, somebody must have really forced something before you ever got it.

Hope this makes sense. I'm calling these bent prongs that are holding the end panels attached to the ceiling "tabs". My Life Stages has 3 ceiling tabs on each end panel.

Grab the ceiling wires by the middle tab, lift the ceiling up 1/2", use other hand to pull end panel outward. When you let go from lifting, the tab should come to rest inside the end panel. Done.

Now there are 2 tabs remaining on each end panel, one on either side of the middle tab.

Standing over one tab, put the flat of your hand on the ceiling and lean your weight on it big time, don't worry, you won't wreck it. Then use your free hand to pull the end panel outward so the tab comes free. It's a real fuss-cuss kind of job, you just have to muscle it till it lets go, use a screwdriver for leverage if necessary. If you totally can't get that tab, try the other tab on that same panel, get that one, then go back to the recalcitrant tab and you'll get it.

I can do pictures if you like.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

They're round, flat metal rolls that let the crate collapse. Yeah, I expect it was royally forced. :roll:

OK, I guess I need to try harder. I was afraid to Popeye it and kill it!! :oops: :thankyou:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK yeah, eat your spinach! :lol: The barrels or clamps do allow motion in the ceiling and side panels relative to each other. If you look at the long sides of the ceiling (if it is like mine), on one long side the ceiling is actually resting on the top of the long side panel. On the other side, the ceiling is NOT resting on the top of the long side panel. The side where it is NOT resting on the side panel is the easy side to unhook the end panel, it has more flex when you lean on it.

Here is a graphic as if you are squatting down looking at the end panel, to see how the ceiling is resting.
easy_side.PNG
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, the barrels allow some slide.

:thankyou: I hadn't noticed any difference in how the panels sit together.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I did it!! I started with the door, and I found the side hooks easier to unhook. After that, the top popped right loose. :thankyou: :thankyou:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Good deal! Did it come with the hooks/clips to keep it closed once it is folded? If not, I could send you some. It's the little hook shown on the bottom of this picture, there are probably 2 if it's a big crate.
crate_hook.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

No, it doesn't have them, nor a handle, but it's livable like it is. LOL Yesterday I noticed a huge gouge in my door, and I'd bet it came from wrestling that crate into the house!!