Gabapentin Tiny Tabs, 25mg/tab - 75mg/tab

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
FYI

Gabapentin Tiny Tabs, 25mg/tab - 75mg/tab

Post by FYI »

https://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/items/gabapentin-tiny-tabs.html wrote:
Gabapentin may be prescribed for:

Seizures
Neuropathic pain

About Tiny Tabs:
One of the dosage forms available for Gabapentin is Tiny Tabs. A Wedgewood Pharmacy exclusive. Pilling a pet is a task most owners dread. Tiny Tabs® -- compressed, pillable tablets that are smaller than a Tic Tac® -- may make that task, and the owners’ lives, a little bit easier. They are perfect for difficult-to-administer or bitter-tasting medications.
Strengths:
9 strengths of Gabapentin Tiny Tabs are available, ranging from 25 mg/tab to 75 mg/tab.
CarolC

Re: Gabapentin Tiny Tabs, 25mg/tab - 75mg/tab

Post by CarolC »

I like this because you can only get gabapentin liquid to dose small dogs and that's the one that has xylitol in it. Dolly's dose is 25mg and she's 8 lbs. We had one bottle from VCA that it seemed she hardly noticed it when I put it on her food. The refill from a different vet had such a strong sweet smell that she made a face and the smell lingered in the room after she ate. This would be better.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Weird that they'd put xylitol in critter medicine. :?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

No kidding! From what I read, and this is only going by memory so I may have it mixed up, any commercial liquid is likely to have xylitol unless it is compounded. I didn't save the link but I read one article where I'm pretty sure it said the level of xylitol in the dose of gabapentin given for pain is less likely to be a problem, but the dosage given from seizures is a problem so don't use liquid. That did not comfort me a lot. I'll see if I can find the article. Since the VCA bottle seemed less sweet, I'm thinking maybe VCA had theirs compounded since they are a huge chain.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I, for one, am super sensitive to sugar alcohols and can't even chew a piece of gum with the stuff, so I'm wondering why it's in human meds, too. :shock:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Makes you wonder if one of these days they'll discover it wasn't such a good idea for humans, either. I didn't get to talk to the vet about this like I wanted to. I could have while he was cleaning her ears but I forgot. Every time I want to discuss something that would take a long explanation to get the question asked, I feel like there isn't time, rushed. Also, I think he was training a new vet tech and his attention wasn't on me. I wish I could email with the vet like I see some people posting here do, but I don't think they do that.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

It might be worth a try to email.