Calories in Knox blox for dogs

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
CarolC

Calories in Knox blox for dogs

Post by CarolC »

3 c water - 0 cal
1 c Cafe Nara chicken broth - 32 cal
4 packets Knox gelatine - 80 cal

TOTAL CALORIES PER RECIPE - 112 cal
TOTAL CUPS OF KNOX BLOX PER RECIPE - 4+
CALORIES PER CUP - 28 cal
CALORIES PER HALF CUP - 14 cal

Not entirely sure how many cups the recipe makes because gelatine swells, so it would be more correct to say at least 4 cups per recipe.
https://www.chewy.com/cafe-nara-chicken-broth-grain-free/dp/304179 wrote: Caloric Content
149 kcal/kg, 8 kcal/1/4 cup
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Knox-Original-Unflavored-Gelatin-4-ct-Packets/20976626 wrote: Serving Size 1/4 Envelope (1.8g)
Amount per serving
Calories 5
critters
Founding Member

Re: Calories in Knox blox for dogs

Post by critters »

Hmm. I guess they'd be the same as for people...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Are Knox blox ever made without broth? Just plain? He's getting soft stools. I could reduce the broth. Don't know if he'd like them plain?
EDIT: Answered my own question. Made some plain with only Knox and water. Millie likes them. Pip wasn't interested, but he didn't want the flavored kind either, wasn't thirsty. Will try again later.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Sure, you could try it. Dunno how good they'd taste.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Nobody told me chicken broth creates softer stools in dogs. :roll:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You wouldn't think so...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

That was told to me by someone who gives chicken broth to her dog, but hers is homemade. I didn't think the broth for dogs was fatty, but he is having softer stools since starting the Knox blox.

The kind I'm using is Cafe Nara. It doesn't say the fat content. It says

Crude Fat 0.05% min

You're right. I'm not seeing fat on top when I stir in hot water. It isn't greasy if I hand a few to Millie.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Actually, he does lick the plain ones if he's thirsty. I'm serving them on a washcloth. It seems easier for him than trying to get them out of the little crock.

He just had some. Now we'll see if he still gets soft stools with the water only blox.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

There's no telling what's in her homemade stuff, possibly even veggies. At least if you find a brand that works well for y'all there's a decent chance they'll be consistent.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:cook:
2 packets Knox gelatine - 20 cal
makes 2 cups
10 cal per cup
2.5 cal per quarter cup
:wow:
That's really good. He's eating them plain and he likes them. He had them twice today. They will definitely be consistent if they're plain!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yesterday I gave blox to Pip and Millie. (Dolly isn't interested.) It was at 11AM. Last night as I was cleaning up at bedtime (10:45PM), I found a Knox blox cube next to Millie's crate where it had apparently escaped unnoticed. It had been there for almost 12 hours and it was still firm and not sweating or melting. So these things last at last half a day at room temperature. Previously I tried to look up online how long they would last and never found a good answer. Answer: ~12 hrs at least!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd bet it depends on the air temp, but maybe you make them with enough gelatin that they won't? Consider gelatin capsules, for example.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

This isn't about calories, but it's about blox.

At first I was using Knox gelatine, but the Walmart brand was $6 cheaper per box, which is a lot. I thought it should be fine. Walmart generics are normally always good and gelatin is gelatin, right? But there must be some difference. He was eating only a little of his blox or not eating them at all.

I was so sure that gelatin is gelatin that I started thinking he just didn't like gelatin. I wasted more money trying pre-mixed thickened water (Clear Advantage) in little bottles, thinking it could be instead of blox, and he wouldn't drink that, either, and I was worried about his fluid intake.

So on an off chance, I got another box of real Knox and he's eating it! :chef: Whew! So gelatin must not be gelatin, and I'm really glad he's willing to eat the brand name Knox blox!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

It's so processed I wouldn't have guessed there to be much difference, either, but no accounting for taste, I guess!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yeah, gourmet dog! I'll have to add it to his Care Instructions. Only feed him Knox, don't buy generic.

He cleaned his bowl again yesterday. Now I feel bad, giving him icky blox for weeks and I didn't know it. I thought he just wasn't thirsty.