Snuggle Safe Warning!!

A forum where caretakers of elderly, disabled, and handicapped pets can chat with one another about topics that don't fit in other categories.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: Snuggle Safe Warning!!

Post by Bendy Kitty »

Glad you finally got a reply!

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
FYI

Post by FYI »

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8598 wrote:
by Nancy on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:54 am

This is the second report of this happening. The other was Brenda Sandavol one of the hedgehog breeders and hers basically did the same thing.

I know she contacted the manufacturer and if I remember correctly they basically told her if used correctly it was impossible to happen and that she must have heated it too long.

Thank you for posting this. I will share it with other forums and lists.* * * Nancy * * *

Small hobby breeder since 2004.

Rescue contact for The Hedgehog Welfare Society
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

https://web.archive.org/web/20210317072 ... rning.html
Christine

Additional posts to Amazon Snuggle Safe Review

Post by Christine »

I received notification of activity on the Amazon review today.

This was the last post and a reply I had to leave. I sincerely hope this person will take the time to read through our thread.

To see the entire Amazon thread: http://www.amazon.com/review/R17X05JP2C ... EMIJNB4CZ9

Last edited by the author on Dec. 4, 2010 9:25 AM PST

S. Sims says:
That's terrible. Do you have an update on your cats? However, your review illustrates why it's not safe to have a heat source for a pet that they can't get away from. I'm guessing that the carrier was so small that the cats HAD to lie on the Snuggle Safe. We love our Snuggle Safe and it has never caused burns on our pets- the bunnies move away from it if they get too warm, and when our birds had babies that were sick I used it to keep the chicks warm on trips to the vet, car rides and when I was cleaning the brooder starting from when they were only a few days old. The Snuggle Safe was great for them. They suffered no ill effects (and a naked 10 gram bird is much more delicate than a cat), but I was very careful to monitor the temperature of the pad with a thermometer and covered it in layers of towels to diffuse the heat some. Oh and we live in Alaska and we had one of our bunnies flown here from the lower 48 in winter without a heat source and he did fine because the plane (and everywhere else he went) was heated.

NuttyBuddy says:
Mr./Ms. Sims
I have been looking for a bed warmer for my ferret. Not only is she old by ferret standards, she just lost her mate, and has been diagnosed with adrenal disease which causes hair loss. Your review has convinced me that Snuggle Safe is the best option for keeping her warm at night. I like your idea about monitoring the heat with a thermometer, so I got a terrarium type from the pet store. Thanks for being the sane voice to this discussion.
You just replied with a later post
Your reply to NuttyBuddy's post:

Your post, in reply to an earlier post on Jan. 31, 2011 2:35 PM PST
Christine says:I urge you to check the discussion thread at Handicapped Pets.com Since the incident that happened to me, we have been compiling every incident we can find for informational purposes. A thermometer will not insure that your pet will not be harmed.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... 714#p81714
https://web.archive.org/web/20230116180 ... ZWEGYDRN3S
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
raiders mom

Post by raiders mom »

Christine..so glad to hear the furkids are ok and nothing more awful than the stench and some distroyed bedding.Glad you are all ok, that is the most important thing. Hope everyone heeds your warning about snuggle safe. My friend made us some rice bags to use as foot warmers.They are just towels sewn into a bag with raw rice inside, you microwave for 2 min and they stay warm for quite a while.Sounds like the dryer and hair dryer are working out ok though. Soon it will be summer and warm and the kids won't have to worry about getting cold..Best wishes Kathy(Raider's Mom)
FYI

SnuggleSafe nuked 2 min spewed burning hot wax under baby squirrel containers

Post by FYI »

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/ ... hp?t=27592
island rehabber wrote: "Snuggle Safe Disks" AREN'T ALWAYS SAFE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Saturday, as I was packing up my baby squirrels to leave Tomo's wonderful luncheon, something happened which had never happened before: one of my Snuggle Safe microwaveable warming disks, which I had just nuked for 2 minutes, BURST. It spewed burning hot wax all over the bottom of the large bag where it was sitting underneath both containers of baby squirrels! Needless to say I grabbed the containers and moved them off the disk, then grabbed the sopping wet bag containing the disk and ran to throw them in the bathroom sink. thank GOD both baby containers were the type with solid bottoms...had they been in my beige open top carrier which has air holes along the bottom, the burning hot wax would have seeped in and burned the babies .
This disk was my older one; maybe 5-6 years old. I had never heard of this happening, but it did. From now on, I will be enclosing all disks in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag (or two!) before putting it anywhere near my squirrel babies.
Tomo: I am SO SORRY about the waxy mess on your table and sink!

SUMMARY: Check your Snuggle Safe Disk for holes....don't overheat it......place it in a sealed container (Ziploc) for EXTRA PRECAUTION.

And never, ever EVER put the disk under the babies!!! ONLY under the CONTAINER they are in!

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

https://web.archive.org/web/20150319071 ... LWAYS-SAFE
island rehabber

Post by island rehabber »

Hello. I'm island rehabber who posted the incident on The Squirrel Board, for which I'm the Administrator. I know for a fact I only nuked that disk for two minutes; even if it was slightly warm when I did so this should NOT have happened. I urge everyone, as this site has already done, to be very careful about using these disks. I am a wildlife rehabilitator (NY state Licensed) and I'm often transporting baby squirrels, hence the need for the disks. I will be using hand warmers or some other method from now on.
On a different subject, I am actually very glad to have found this forum as I'm also the 'mom' of two rescue feral kittens who have vision impairment. Born with feline herpes virus-caused conjunctivitis, they are both blind in one eye and vision impaired in the other. I hope to find lots of good info about raising my special needs kitties here, too.
Christine

Post by Christine »

:welcomeheart: Glad you decided to join us. We have some wonderful and very knowlegeable cat experts here. Again, I am so glad no baby squirrels were hurt with your mishap.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

island rehabber wrote: On a different subject, I am actually very glad to have found this forum as I'm also the 'mom' of two rescue feral kittens who have vision impairment. Born with feline herpes virus-caused conjunctivitis, they are both blind in one eye and vision impaired in the other. I hope to find lots of good info about raising my special needs kitties here, too.
Raised a fair number of such kittens here.
add L-lysine to their diet (if they are on teh bottle, you can get this as a powder and put a little on their tongues) as this is veyr helpful in controlling the virus. I used regular artificial tears 2 x a day and Terramycin eye ointment 2 x day. if their eyes seal shut, put a warm compress on them to get them to drain and open. This can be a long haul.

Welcome to the forum!!!
I threw away my snuggle safe disc, it was 10 years old and starting to get soft in the middle.

Bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
island rehabber

Post by island rehabber »

Thanks Bendy -- sounds as if I'm on the right track. The girls (kitties) get two L-lysine treats per day and they love them. They also get the timolol maleate drops 2x a day and one kitty whose completely opaque left eye has glaucoma gets a special ointment which really seems to be improving its pop-eyed look. Other than these problems they are the sweetest kitties ever! (They are 8 mos old.)
edadkisson

Post by edadkisson »

Hi Christine,

I'm still getting comments on Amazon about Snuggle Safe and I'm directing people here. I just wanted to thank you for posting my comments on this site for me.

Looks like a really good site which I registered to today.

Thanks,

Ed
Christine

Post by Christine »

:welcomeheart: Hi Ed...

So glad you have joined us. This is a wonderful community of supportive and knowlegeable people who share their experiences to help others along the way. Thanks for helping us inform others about the Snuggle Safe. Still no acknowlegement from the company and I am sure that will never happen. I would like to see this product removed from the marketplace, but until that time, we will continue to tell anyone who will listen.

CarolC, our head moderator is also keeping a vigilant eye on anything that comes across the web and posting it here. Take a look back at the islandrehabber's experience just a short time ago.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Now that winter is here, please share this thread with any of your friends, rescues, shelters, boarding kennels and groups.

Thank you.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Post by Christine »

Time to remind people about the Snuggle Safe product again. The weather has turned and I am seeing more people considering the purchase again on Amazon.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Your link is to write a review of an unspecified product.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Having a difficult time with this particular group of reviews. I just removed the link for now. The original one is still good, so if we can all send this hp thread out there, hopefully it will get crossposted to prevent any harm to anyone 2 or 4 legged.
?/1999 - 10/25/08